Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 11-22-2011, 10:15 PM   #1
7502wh33ls
GX Member

7502wh33ls is on a distinguished road
e break issues!!!!!!

ok so e break works great. but i was almost in an accedent this morning my first reaction is breaks. i wasnt slowing fast enough ripped the e break. i hear a big BOOM i thought i broke something so i am driving just to check it out again. about 10mph i pull it again. i hear a BOOM and then it catches. i tried it at 30mph same sound. WTF is it now its driving me crazy. i dont hear it untill i pull the e break while in motion. but just knowing in my mind it does that drives me nuts! its only in motion though i pull it on a hill and its fine anyone have any ideas?
7502wh33ls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:17 PM   #2
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

cavaliers60 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
umm... I would never pull the e-brake while in motion....
cavaliers60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:21 PM   #3
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavaliers60 View Post
umm... I would never pull the e-brake while in motion....

i only did while in neutral, other wise you gonna tear shit up. 2nd, my ebrake is currently disconected after the drum-disk conversion on the rear but ima say you have some problems there.
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:08 AM   #4
whiterider00
GLS member

whiterider00 is on a distinguished road
mine does the same thing. at least when i tried it like 4+ years ago in the snow thats what it did. and there was really no easing on/off of the ebrake either. seems almost like its on, or off, no in between. ive never noticed any issues tho after doing that.
whiterider00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:28 AM   #5
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Easy fix, stop being a ricer and pulling the ebrake while driving

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:39 AM   #6
colonel6632
Premier V.I.P. Member

colonel6632 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to colonel6632
mine does the same thing

2005 Silverado 2500HD w/ 6.0l Vortec 4L80E
Tuned 6.0l, exhaust, intake, with 450000km on the odometer. Tow Rig

1985 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/ 5.7 Vortec 700r4
mild vortec 350 with 4 speed auto. performance suspension. factory gold color. project car
colonel6632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:24 AM   #7
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
normal operation. obviously if you feel that the ebrake is going to help you slow down... then your not useing your service brakes (brake pedal) to its full potential. useing the ebrake while regular brakes are not going to help and could possibly cause your car to be unpredictable and make matters worse. im assuming you have rear disks? if you do then your ebrake shoes are only a half inch wide and provide minimal braking for a vehicle in motion.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:27 AM   #8
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Shiwnath is on a distinguished road
If your brakes aren't giving you enough stopping power then you should probably get them checked out. How worn are they?

Also this is why I try not to call it an e-brake.. I refer to it as a parking brake because of this exact reason. If you saw how big the pads are for those, you would realize how inferior they are as apposed to your actual brakes.

Also since the front wheels arn't equipped with an "ebrake" system, only your rear ebrakes have to do all the work for the ebrake system which isnt good for normal or emergency braking.

Hit a dear! Back to stock 3400... For now
Shiwnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:10 AM   #9
7502wh33ls
GX Member

my front breaks are pretty worn i work mon-fri 10 am till 11:30 pm these days UPS so only time i really have is the weekends and i have a set of drilled and slotted rotors and some hawks i gotta do this weekend if the weather is nice well i have off tomorow though monday but its supposed to rain untill friday night so i have to do it then. with that being said i am not a ricer i take high offense to that accually and in this cause i use it as a e break because i only use it if i cant stop and this is my only car that isnt torn apart
Old 11-23-2011, 09:33 AM   #10
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
does your car have disk or drums out back?
Old 11-23-2011, 10:32 AM   #11
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
if your not a ricer then what are you doing pulling the ebrake while driving Then you hear a loud sound and keep doing it? dude....if its making a weird sound its prob cause the ebrake isn't meant to be pulled like that...so stop doing it....unless you wanna further damage your car. If your brakes are in bad shape and you know it start driving more carefully....let off the pedal...coast to a light if you see its red....dont keep flying up to lights and slamming on the brakes. When you change the rotors and pads let us know how the rotors and pads looked....they are prob worn down....but what im trying to get at is it may be the calipers that need to be replaced....the stock ones suck....and if you drive the car hard your going to go through them pretty quick.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:03 AM   #12
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
sure its fine, mine does it too.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:19 PM   #13
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billytheman1188 View Post
if your not a ricer then what are you doing pulling the ebrake while driving Then you hear a loud sound and keep doing it? dude....

picking on somone for their driving habits is not going to fix anything. i do however agree with billy.

going on the assumption you have rear disk then whats causing your noise when your applying your ebrake a speed probably:
1) ebrake shoes twisting in the rotors
2) the knuckles beating against the lateral bushigns (or a combination of bushigns)

the only way to really adress the issue is one or a combination of:
1) accept the fact you drive an alero and not a porche and compinsate for longer braking distances. dont put yourself in position to stop quickly.

2) make sure all four corners are in tip-top shape. check your brakes. make sure none of your pads are sticking, make sure all yoru slides are free and your calipors compress well. make sure you dont have a lot of rust on the rotors. etc.

3)upgrade the brakes. imo the corvette mod is probably yoru best bet. (however does nothing for your rear brakes)

4) if you decide you want to be one of those
"super ultra megahellatastic bar room brawler ebrake lockers." ~haha made a funny, not bashing you. then just keep in mind it wont be hard to cause some serious damage to your ebrake syatem. those thigns are tiny and are designed more for "oh shit no brakes emergency" rather then "im not stopping fast enough".

think of it thise way. if your wheels are locked up or abs is activating what good is applying the ebrake? well if your wheels arnt locked up or your abs isnt activating then you have more rom to push the pedal harder durring a panic stop.

also good to note that a tire has much better traction turning then it does locked up. laws of physics, cant argue that one.

Last edited by a.graham52 : 11-23-2011 at 12:22 PM.
a.graham52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:40 PM   #14
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
quit tailgating
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:15 PM   #15
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
First time I EVER did front brakes on my car, it took me 2.5 hours. It took me 3.5 hours to do the Camaro/Impala front brake swap and the GXP rear brake swap. Yes all 4 with bleeding and such. It's not hard, if you have the right tools.

A metric socket set and a large enough "C" clamp will do the trick. Front is 13mm on the calipers and 15mm on the brackets (I think, one side is stock the other side is aftermarket on my car) and the rear is either all 15mm or 15 on the calipers and 13 on the brackets.

A trick I use. After the wheel is off, before I take off the calipers, I put a lug nut on the stud. The way I turn it to put the lug on, is the same direction to take the caliper and bracket bolts off

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 11-23-2011, 06:03 PM   #16
7502wh33ls
GX Member

nice thanks for the tricks on the break swap. Now as for tail gating, I was 4 car laghths away the person in front of me. She was on her phone not paying attention and we hit traffic. The lady squelled tires to stop! So as for me being a pretty safe distance away (or so i thought) had to compensate.

I guess i never thought of it as a chance to further ruin the rear breaks. Yes there discs. I was trying to figure out what was going on.

I really dont appreciate being called a ricer ive had the car for 5 months and that was the first time i used the dame e break as a EMERGENCY. I really dont appreciate you trying to judge my driving skills or faults of driving. My 13 month son was in the car thank u very little. im sure i wouldnt be allowed near a ups driving seat if i acted like an idiot. Knock on wood ive never had an accedent or gotten a ticket. When i race its at a track or an abandoned road in the middle of no were. Im by MYSELF! but thanks for the insight to those who gave it and didnt think i was just some ricer or a little kid.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:44 PM   #17
Redog
Aleromod part owner

If your a truck driver, you know to look way down the road for things such as this. However, why did you pull the ebrake is beyond me. Being a professional driver, you should know that an e brake slows the car much slower than regular service brakes, plus as a professional driver, you know the importantance of having a properly functional vechile, from brakes, to lights, and everything between the bumpers.

I hold a CDL license myself and althought I haven't driven a rig in years, I bet I could still do a correct pre-trip of which is required for the Commonwealth Of Pennsylvania. When it's you're livlyhood, it just gets imbedded in your brain.

When I bought the Delta back in April, 5 194 blubs were out, only 3 dash lights worked, and two tires are going to need replacement. Tires are getting bought next week and only 1 dash light is out, becasue it's a loose bulb connection I haven't gotten around to yet.

If you were 4 car lenghts back, either you're talking about 4 SMART car lenghts, were not paying attention yourself, or your brakes are in very poor condition.

It doesn't sit well with me that you used your e brake in traffic and then get pissed when people start calling you a ricer. That is a ricer thing to do. Had I pulled the ebrake, sure it an empty parking lot, in the snow, but NEVER in traffic. It only makes it worse that you said that you had your 13 month old in the backseat and use that as a defense.

It's like this
  • pull eBrake in empty parking lot, once in a while, fun
  • pull eBrake in snow covered empty parking lot, fun
  • pull eBrake in traffic, bad
  • pull eBrake in traffic to stop car quicker, bad and ricer

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 11-23-2011, 07:45 PM   #18
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
If your a truck driver, you know to look way down the road for things such as this.
Exactly, don't be a lemming. See whether the car in front of you is about to head off a cliff.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:15 PM   #19
7502wh33ls
GX Member

sorry i dont hold a cdl if you would like you can see and look it up you dont need a cdl to drive what i drive i drive the large cargo van and i downshift i rarely use breaks i have 4 wheels not 18 congrats on the cdl and as far as it goes as safely i didnt cause an accedent apparently so considering me and my son are still here i believe i made the right choice considering my foot to the floor and e break pulled up and i didnt mean smart ass langths so if you think im ricer think what you want i dont care anymore you threw this way outta what its supposed to be my cars not wrecked my sons ok no one got hurt thats all that matters i asked a simple question and you have something to say about my judgement. i love how someone has something to say about every post i put up on how ima noob and a ricer do you know what a ricer is please someone give me the definition of a ricer what it is and were it came from and then you can call me that to you bad judgement to me saved our lives and mabey your right mabey i wasnt paying attention either but tell me you have never done the same thing was unexpecting a car coming to a complete hault so kiss my ass were all human we make mistakes so if you have never made a mistake on the road HAIL ALMIGHTY CAR GOD YOU ARE PERFECT IN EVERY WAY!!!!!!!! i asked a question got an answer thank you can a mod please lock this up im tired of listening to the car god for now.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:32 PM   #20
[ion] C2
636 whp