Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 10-24-2011, 01:25 AM   #1
whiterider00
GLS member

whiterider00 is on a distinguished road
possible battery and/or ignition control module issues

for the past week or so, ive noticed slight issues with my car that have suddenly gotten worse. 5days ago, starting my car completely cold (sitting 10hrs), it took about 3 cranks of the starter to start it. seemed like typical dieing battery symptoms. next morning, my wife went to start it, and wouldnt start. i had to jump it, but barely had to turn the key and it fired right up and had no issues for a couple days.

few days later, i had the car idling, but not up to operating temp, and the rpms started fluctuating from normal idle (750) down to under 500, then a couple times to maybe 1300. only lasted for 10 seconds, then no issues on the drive home from work or the next day. today, again a slightly harder than normal startup from cold, but this time i had issues when i started driving. the engine ran smoothly, but no matter how much i pushed on the gas, the rpms didnt go up. lasted for maybe 3-5 seconds, then it ran fine til the next time i drove, and it did pretty much the same thing.

at this point i stopped at autozone to get my battery checked. the date on it says it was manufactured in nov of 2003. and its been in the car for the 6 years ive owned it. i guess that alone should be enough of a reason to replace it. anyway the guy tests it and says its reading almost 0. i dunno if it was volts he was talking about, but he said i should probly replace it soon, and get my alternator checked too.

now i originally thought it was just the battery when it was just starting hard, and not responding to throttle, but on my way home tonight, it got much worse. this time it got bad enough to nearly stall (rpms under 300), and i think it backfired once. this lasted probly 20 seconds or more.

i researched on the forum, and it looks like it could be the ignition module. that seems likely, as the car has over 198k, and afaik it is original. the other thing i thought of, is when i did the cam swap and everything a cpl months ago, i swapped idi covers. i doubt it, but maybe i somehow screwed up the ground or something. im gonna pop off the cover in the morning, and make sure everything is secure.

i guess the question i have is, can a bad battery cause the weird idle and shitty running conditions ive been having, or is it more likely another component.im gonna replace the battery either way, just because its a miracle the one ive got is still functioning. thanks in advance for the help. sorry for the novel.
whiterider00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:36 AM   #2
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
hmm i think mine when i had pretty much the same issues it ran shitty, 6 year old battery i would replace it, and make sure you get a higher CCA (cold cranking amps) battery. mine was not good enough last winter. replaced it and it fixed my problem. IIRC my volts gauge showed that my battery was losing its charge because of the battery being old and being in cold weather. id replace the battery first then see what happens from there.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.

Last edited by sleepyalero : 10-24-2011 at 03:41 AM.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:16 AM   #3
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
agreed. fix whats wrong first. when you crank it over it could be enough voltage loss to clear out the ecm and then it will have to relearn idle and stuff agan. iv seen that happen on occasion.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:25 PM   #4
whiterider00
GLS member

Replaced the battery, and so far so good. Im still gonna have the alt checked, just in case since thats original too.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:28 PM   #5
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
good to hear its workin better now.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 02:15 PM   #6
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Get one:
http://www.amazon.com/Equus-3721-Bat.../dp/B000EVWDU0

They have them at some WalMart's too.

I keep it in the glove compartment. It's saved me one already! Also, on one other occasion it helps me correctly diagnose a bad voltmeter gauge in dash (not in Alero).
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:55 PM   #7
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
You get an optima battery? I hear those are they way to go.
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:10 PM   #8
whiterider00
GLS member

Duralast gold. And i checked out everything, apparently i never swapped over the ground strap that grounds out the ign module to the block. Did that, made sure all connections were tight, and swapped battery this morning. No issues since, but i havnt driven all that much. Hope its fixed.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:08 AM   #9
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Thats what I currently have. Has been a good battery so far. Hopefully that got your problem fixed though. With winter coming problems are never made easier...
Old 10-25-2011, 01:04 AM   #10
whiterider00
GLS member

noooope. car started up fine, drove fine til i got onto my street (lucky i guess). then idle drops to below 500, and starts surging. so bad thast i shut the car off. waited a few seconds and started it again. started right up no issues. i have no idea where to start looking. hasnt thrown a cel yet. i almost wish it would so id have some clue what to look at. any suggestions?
Old 10-25-2011, 01:27 AM   #11
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

It sounds similar to what mine was doing when my alternator went out. If you start hearing a whine (exspicaily at high rpms, maybe with the stero on or somthing draw much extra power) then that's a good probability. Other then that I'd have to start guessing... Plugs? Fuel delivery?... I have no idea. When mine out I'd describe it as, the car started running like it was angry at me, stero wouldn't stay on, lights started dimming, running really rough, pulled over and turned it off for a minuet, it started right up. By the time I got home it started acting up again, changed the alt and dropped in a new battery (the old one was down to one cell left) and it's running fine.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:20 AM   #12
whiterider00
GLS member

im gonna have to listen for the alternator whine. probly go get it tested at autozone too. i shouldnt be too surprised that things are starting to go. car has nearly 200k, and in the 60k+ miles ive owned it, ive only done a couple wheel hubs and other random small repairs.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:03 AM   #13
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
When my alternator went, my dash light came on, and then I plugged in my handy plug-in voltmeter to confirm.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:17 PM   #14
whiterider00
GLS member

im starting to lean more towards a fuel issue now. i would think if it was an ign issue (alt, coil pack, ign control module), there would be a cel thrown when it acts up. there hasnt been at all. theres been a couple times where ive completely run out of gas (in other vehicles, not alero), and it feels just like that. im really hoping its not the fuel pump, that doesnt seem like a fun job. maybe ill run a bit of injector cleaner through and see if that helps anything. ive gotten gas at a couple different places in the past cpl weeks, so maybe its just bad gas. who the hell knows.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:28 AM   #15
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

I only go to my local Mach1 (marathon) for gas. The hucksand caseys stations in town have a bad reputation for watered down gas. Someone had a posted no to long ago about a bad fuel filter and was having problems from that or somthing... Don't remember exsactly. It wouldn't be anything connected to the cam swap and other work you did a while back would it?
Old 10-26-2011, 12:52 AM   #16
whiterider00
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Rad17 View Post
It wouldn't be anything connected to the cam swap and other work you did a while back would it?

i effin hope not. that was well over a month ago, and these issues have only started maybe a week ago. my mechanically inclined friend said it could be any number of sensors (throttle position, camshaft position, crankshaft position).

the fuel filter was replaced somewhere around 4 years ago. i guess that could be an issue, but i would think it would be a somewhat constant thing. i kinda wish it would just throw a code so id at least have some idea where to look.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:33 AM   #17
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
My only guess if it is fuel related is that the fuel pump is overheating and then it starts to lock up
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:03 AM   #18
whiterider00
GLS member

well driving to and from work yesterday and today, there havent been any real issues. i really hope it was just some random gremlin that worked itself out.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:58 AM   #19
zzyzzx
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterider00 View Post
well driving to and from work yesterday and today, there havent been any real issues. i really hope it was just some random gremlin that worked itself out.

Exactly which type of Gremlin:

Old 10-27-2011, 10:38 PM   #20
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

^all of the above