Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 06-08-2005, 10:51 AM   #1
FutureEcotecOwnerAgain

well after thinking over and over about it. i decided i'm gonna keep the ho. 55000 miles and aint had a problem with it at all. anyways i was wondering what you guys think about the cams and heads at j body performance.com. i hope to get the stage 2 cams which add 22whp and the race heads that add 33 whp. what is the draw back of having these and will i need to do any internal work?
Old 06-08-2005, 06:02 PM   #2
BLK03GXS
GLS member

BLK03GXS is an unknown quantity at this point
Well first of all you need to realize that if you have the ecotec that you only have ONE HEAD NOT TWO
IF you want to add somepower, heres what im going to do to mine....

Levelzero stage 2 cams, K&N intake, Rksport/arospeed headder/ full exhust, Fidanza flywheel, rsmracing crank pully. with all that and a good tune, should be able to get like 160+whp
theres a guy on a jbody site im on without the flywheel and hes making like 170 something whp

BLK03GXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 10:20 PM   #3
FutureEcotecOwnerAgain

i plan on getting the stage 2 cams from level zero myself. does anyone know of any internal work i'll have to do. and about how much hp will i have with these and my header, intake, and cat back exhaust. i figured about 175 to 180 at the crank.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:41 AM   #4
alero_ecotec
Special Agent

alero_ecotec is an unknown quantity at this point
personally my goal is 200 horses n/a.....and it can be done, i think there's a guy or two on ecotecperformance.com who's done it....so i e-mailed Mantapart and here's the response they gave me to help me know what i'd need to get 200 horses
Quote:
Well, first do the basic external stuff- cold air intake, larger throttle
body, our new ported intake manifold (will be on the site soon in the 2.2
section), pullies and headers with a good exht. will be the first big gains and not
create computer problems. Then you can do our mild head & our level one cams
and upgraded pistons and this will get you pretty tight on 200 hp wihtout any
problems, Any more than that will create the dreaded computer problems that
would require an expensive stand alone unit, let us know, thanks

and thats about it, i would also maybe think about a new billet crank since it would be so much lighter, but also, all that above stuff will cost a pretty penny
Old 06-11-2005, 11:08 AM   #5
FutureEcotecOwnerAgain

so stage 2 cams are a no no unless you wanna mess with internals but stage 1 are good with stock block?
well i got my exhaust and header and intake, now my next move will be cams and 62mm tb. then i'm gonna swap my auto tranny for a 5 speed so i can unleash the power.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:13 PM   #6
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
If you swap the tranny don't forget the PCM

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 01:46 PM   #7
BLK03GXS
GLS member

Quote:
Originally posted by 03EcotecAlero@Jun 11 2005, 02:20 AM
i plan on getting the stage 2 cams from level zero myself. does anyone know of any internal work i'll have to do. and about how much hp will i have with these and my header, intake, and cat back exhaust. i figured about 175 to 180 at the crank.

Well i live about an hours drive From levelzero, and i happen to know the place where he gets his cam work done, and where i can get work done... According to levelzero the stage 2 cams require no internal modification. bolt on units.

Old 06-14-2005, 09:54 AM   #8
FutureEcotecOwnerAgain

well then i guess i'll be getting stage 2 instead of 1. which is great news to me. so with stage 2 cams, header, exhaust and intake, nobody around my city will think anything about my car. the ultimate sleeper.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:57 AM   #9
geedog66

how much do the levelzero stage 2 cams cost???
Old 06-14-2005, 06:44 PM   #10
BLK03GXS
GLS member

http://www.levelzeromotorsports.com/store/store.php

Do beleave they're about 600 BUCKS plus core...

Go on www.bcjbody.org the guys on that forum and Pm him
IF a groupbuy was to happen im sure better prices could be hammered out ? hopefully lol

Old 06-20-2005, 09:10 AM   #11
MikeSS
V.I.P. Member

MikeSS is an unknown quantity at this point
Dude, (and other dudes), keeping your ecotec alero and building it up is a great idea.

I miss my ecotec alero each day. The camaro is fun, and I have fun with it, but there is something about having one of the few done up Oldsmobiles in my area, and then owning people with it, that I miss.
1996 Camaro Y87 - Gone
2003 Alero 2.2L GX 5-Spd - 15.21 @ 88.21 - Gone
MikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 09:17 AM   #12
-Alero-
GLS member

-Alero- is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to -Alero-
Quote:
Originally posted by MikeSS@Jun 20 2005, 09:10 AM
Dude, (and other dudes), keeping your ecotec alero and building it up is a great idea.

:iagree:
Old 06-21-2005, 12:27 AM   #13
FutureEcotecOwnerAgain

i know i should keep my ecotec alero and build it up. i mean i've had no problems with it and it seems pretty quick. well to be honest with you guys i've been thinking about trading it in for a mustang gt or a grand prix gtp. but if i keep the alero my insurance is gonna be cheap and my car payments wont go up and with a few more mods i'll be killing mustang gts, and grand prix gtp. next upgrade is gonna be stage 2 cams, then 62 mm tb, then 5 speed swap. let me know what yall think about that.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:33 PM   #14
BLK03GXS
GLS member

Well if you have access to a ENTIRE eco5spd alero, then do the swap, but otherwise i wouldnt bother doing the swap... it would be easyer to switch to a manual platform... you could keep the alero, and if you look around, the value of an auto car is higher then a 5spd car... so you could MAYBE trade/sell and then buy a 5spd alero... and get some xtra cash from it..
But ive heard the swap is more $$ then its worth to do.

As far as power mods, if your gunna have the motor out, put rods in it, and pistons, then new main berrings, lightweight flywheel, High capacity clutch, then lower engine mount, cams, intake, and headder... i havent heard too manny good things about RSM's throttle bodys.... on www.jbody.org they seem to have proven that "SOME" of the larger rsm units are only like 2-2.5mm bigger... not really worth the money that rsm wants
With the above mods, and maybe a nice dyno tune, you could easyly run a 75+ shot wet at teh track all day

Old 06-21-2005, 01:45 PM   #15
adjennin
GX Member

adjennin is an unknown quantity at this point
The GM supercharger kit should be available soon and I believe the list is 1400 for 190HP. You will probably be at that number with all of those mods so it might be worth considering.
adjennin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 06:22 AM   #16
AleroSS

Quote:
Originally posted by BLK03GXS@Jun 21 2005, 12:33 PM
...With the above mods, and maybe a nice dyno tune, you could easyly run a 75+ shot wet at teh track all day

Guys HAVE been running 75 wet shots on the eco block all day with just 2 degree colder plugs and premium fuel - no issues.

Also, i would be VERY hesitant before upgrading the Cam, mainly because there have been a LOT of issues with the initial grinds that were available thru level zero over on JBO, and even the newest version/grind that they had was also problematic and over rated. Go over to Jbody.org and look at the TONNES of feedback and issues that people are having with the cams available for the ecotec, and then decide whether you wanna venture into upgrading...

Cheers,
Landon