Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 03-09-2005, 02:27 PM   #1
aleroguy83

i wasn't really sure where to post this but i figured the admin could move it if they needed to. anyways, i was wondering if anyone had heard about this new ls4 engine gm is producing for the monte carlo and impala ss'? it is supposed to be a 5.3L v8 fwd motor. if anyone has any info on it i figured it would be a great mod for the aleros. well anyways just thought i would post it.
Old 03-09-2005, 02:53 PM   #2
SilverBullet256

SilverBullet256 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to SilverBullet256
first off, i dont think its called an ls4 and i dont know if they are putting them in the impala or monte carlo, i do know they are putting the new 5.3 in the granp prix GXP which will come out sometime next year :thumbsup:
Old 03-09-2005, 02:59 PM   #3
b-spot
GLS member

b-spot is an unknown quantity at this point
Hurray for torque steer!
Originally Posted by StockAlero00 @ Jul 1 2005, 11:15 PM
If I did went to college...

b-spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 03:04 PM   #4
SilverBullet256

ok i made a goof, they are putting them in the impala and monte, and yes they are called the ls4 i just didnt see that before, but they are putting them in the grand prix too :thumbsup:
Old 03-09-2005, 03:35 PM   #5
|Rev|

Quote:
Originally posted by b-spot@Mar 9 2005, 07:59 PM
Hurray for torque steer!
haha no kidding
Old 03-09-2005, 05:29 PM   #6
aleroguy83

torque steer????
Old 03-09-2005, 07:48 PM   #7
FormulaNERD
GLS member

FormulaNERD is an unknown quantity at this point
yea, torque steer.

unequal half shafts, and no lsd, you press the gas and your car pulls hard, and the steering wants to rip left or right, instead of going straight.

that large of an engine in fwd would be horrible.

http://autorepair.about.com/library/...bldef-763a.htm

TORQUE STEER

Definition: The annoying tendency of some front-wheel drive vehicles to pull to one side when engine torque is applied. In other words, you step on the gas and the car wants to steer right or left. By redesigning the power train to use equal length half shafts between the transaxle and wheels, the tendency towards torque steer can be greatly reduced.

i dont care what this definition says, any fwd is going to have torque steer... "greatly reduced" is the key word, not "eliminated"
FormulaNERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 07:50 PM   #8
Pimpalero03
V.I.P. Member

Pimpalero03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Pimpalero03
i dunno. it must be fine if the GXP has it and the monty and inpala are goign to ahve it. and the monty and impala do not look good in 2005!!! the back end of impala is gay and front end of monty looks gay
Pimpalero03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 07:52 PM   #9
FormulaNERD
GLS member

they look like the same exact car, i dont know how they'll sell both of them when there is no major difference between them.

hmmm, displacement on demand, and still only 17 mpg city? looks like typical v8 fuel economy there.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:53 PM   #10
Final-Reality

Torque Steer? Yes. Just like in all the Northstar Cadillacs of the past decade or so, which is thankfully changing back to RWD now.

The LS4 is basically the same 5.3L V8 that GM has been using in light pickups for a few years now, with some modifications made to be mounted transversely and DoD (Displacement on Demand) added for slightly better fuel economy..
Old 03-09-2005, 09:17 PM   #11
mike2002
GLS member

mike2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to mike2002
my dads 2000 sierra has a 285hp (i believe)5.3 vortec and it hauls for a truck, the thing has some serious cojones. 5.3 cars will rock.

gm just did those cars, its not time to switch them to rwd just yet

if done right, and from the looks of it they are, torque steer wont be to bad. remember, GTP's with there "260hp 280tq" actually put out more than that. these cars will be faster than the supercharged 3800 cars, but i think the real reason behid this move is to many people are modifing there blown cars, breaking it, and warrantying it when they take off the mods, gm is paying out the ass for that. audi did it with the s4 for the same reason
Old 03-10-2005, 02:32 AM   #12
gxryan

Yeah that 5.3 sounds REALLY hot

Quote:

hmmm, displacement on demand, and still only 17 mpg city? looks like typical v8 fuel economy there.

I dunno what kinda trucks you drive with V8's but most of the ones I've ever seen don't come close to that in city. But yeah for a car thats fairly low.

Well i couldent find quickly what the magnum's and stuff make with the Hemi with the displacement on demand but I'm sure it's around that ball park to.

I'm surprised GM doesn't just make these cars RWD. They are obviously trying to compete with the dodge magnum and 300C.

But atleast they are on the rite track the displacement on demand is the rite idea. I can't wait until my lease is up so I can look at a big ass V8 that makes killer mileage :-)

well maybe not killer compared to my alero.
But killer in the fact that it's a V8

lol
Old 03-10-2005, 08:32 PM   #13
overdrive75

Quote:
Originally posted by FormulaNERD@Mar 9 2005, 08:52 PM
they look like the same exact car, i dont know how they'll sell both of them when there is no major difference between them.

DoD generally only activates under steady state conditions, city driving, is not a sittuation where you would activate it, while it will activate, it is not to the extent that it would on the highway.
Old 03-13-2005, 06:14 PM   #14
RAVAGE214

I got a pic of this from the Philly Auto show.

http://ravage214.250free.com/DSCF0641.JPG

btw: I could masterbate to the new GTO, I soooooooooooooo want one!
Old 03-13-2005, 06:44 PM   #15
FormulaNERD
GLS member

^^link doesnt work cheif!
Old 03-13-2005, 08:09 PM   #16
SilverBullet256

yup, says hotlink not permitted :thumbsup:
Old 03-13-2005, 08:59 PM   #17
BLK03GXS
GLS member

BLK03GXS is an unknown quantity at this point
OWNED

BLK03GXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 10:55 PM   #18
mike2002
GLS member

mike2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to mike2002
Quote:
Originally posted by RAVAGE214@Mar 13 2005, 05:14 PM
I got a pic of this from the Philly Auto show.

http://ravage214.250free.com/DSCF0641.JPG

btw: I could masterbate to the new GTO, I soooooooooooooo want one!
05 GTO's are pure sex

i can see some people not likeing the 04's, all "flaws" have been fixed, brakes, looks, dual exhaust, power......i took like 30 pics of the gto at the auto show, hard choice between that and the G35 coupe, the G35's seats are sooooooooo comfy.

I saw the GP GXP at the auto show too, and i have to say, i like it ALOT more than the comp G there. the seats where much better, i love the suede inserts, you really stick to those, it would be great for whipping around corners. and they dont have the holes in the headrests, which is good i think. dont know if there's much else different in the interior, but i liked the inside more than the comp G's and i dont know why....both were black on black completly loaded. also has better rims, the front actually looks ALOT better since they put a different grille/lower spoiler on it. supposed to have better braking and handling, overall its a very sexy 4 door.

i dont think the GXP's torque steer will be to bad, Final reality, have you ever driven a northstar cadillac? the torque steer is not bad, the alero's just as bad about. just goes to show you with time and money, torque steer can be reduced, if a 170hp car has as much as 300hp one. there's some at the top of 1st gear, thats it. and that car doesn't even have a LSD which will help a little.
Old 03-14-2005, 12:41 AM   #19
FormulaNERD
GLS member

hmmmm, g35 (skyline), or gto.... really tough choice, two icons from two completely different worlds.... two wonderful cars.

i think i'd trade the extra horsepower for AWD and luxury.

edit... the skyline coupe comes in RWD only at the time, the AWD is only available currently on the sedan
Old 03-14-2005, 08:21 AM   #20
Youngblood77
V.I.P. Member

Youngblood77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by mike2002@Mar 13 2005, 10:55 PM

05 GTO's are pure sex

You got THAT right....I'd LOVE one of those. Definately what I'd buy if I were in the market for a new car.....

Your car must be fast, you were haulin' ass when I passed you in my 4-door Buick.

Youngblood77 is offline   Reply With Quote