Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 05-05-2004, 05:42 PM   #1
zyklor

I have new rims that are 16" x 7". I know 225/50 R16 will fit but a friend of mine has tires that are sitting around that are 225/60 R16. Will 225/60 R16 fit on the alero? The car in not lowered, its all stock. Thanx for any help.

Chris
Old 05-05-2004, 08:38 PM   #2
3.4Alero

Yes, they will fit. But you will increase your sidewall, and it will affect your speedo. They will also make you rims look smaller.
Old 05-05-2004, 08:54 PM   #3
BLK03GXS
GLS member

BLK03GXS is an unknown quantity at this point
yupp they'll werk fine.. but you will notice your speedo will be out, for example...
When your doing 60mph you may accually be doing 63 or more mph... so be carefull
You may even see better fuel mileage due to a lower crusing RPM, however if you are climbing a lot of hills it will prolly go down... as you would have to shift down sooner, due to a taller effective gear ratio.
Hope that helps

BLK03GXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 08:58 PM   #4
zyklor

Any way to adjust the speedo and gear ratio?
Old 05-05-2004, 09:19 PM   #5
BLK03GXS
GLS member

In other cars and even in ours tecnicly you could changed the size of the gear that drives the speedo sensor...
however with our cars i beleave you would have to have the computer reflashed, or reprogramed to accept the new ratio.
Their are some companys that sell devices that can do this.. if their is one that works for our aleros but thats what you would want.

Old 05-05-2004, 10:19 PM   #6
3.4Alero

Ask your dealer. They may do it for you.
Old 05-06-2004, 08:19 AM   #7
overdrive75

Dealer can't reprogam the speedo's in these cars, it is not possible. Also, there are no gears that drive the speedo, it is a 30 tooth ring that that speed sensor reads by a magnet. I know that was extremely simple but that is how that works.

As far as that tire throwing it off, it is not going to be all that significant, I wouldn't be overly concerned.
Old 05-06-2004, 02:11 PM   #8
2000NavyAleroGLS

What is the widest tire and rim that you can fit on the stock Alero?
Old 05-06-2004, 05:18 PM   #9
BLK03GXS
GLS member

Quote:
Originally posted by 2000NavyAleroGLS@May 6 2004, 06:11 PM
What is the widest tire and rim that you can fit on the stock Alero?
The bigest i think ppl on here have run is....
245, and an 8 inch wheel

Old 05-06-2004, 05:21 PM   #10
BLK03GXS
GLS member

Quote:
Originally posted by overdrive75@May 6 2004, 12:19 PM
Dealer can't reprogam the speedo's in these cars, it is not possible. Also, there are no gears that drive the speedo, it is a 30 tooth ring that that speed sensor reads by a magnet. I know that was extremely simple but that is how that works.

As far as that tire throwing it off, it is not going to be all that significant, I wouldn't be overly concerned.
What about the Getrag 5spd?
I know back in the day like with the Th350 in my Grand am its a gear.. but thats old tech...

Your telling me their is no way to reprogram the speedo?
I know that with the newer Gm trucks you can get a device that allows you to reprogram for say a taller tire.. or w.e... seems odd that no one has one for the N body, or the FWD gm cars...
And even more odd that it "isnt possible"

Old 05-06-2004, 06:17 PM   #11
overdrive75

The manual has a similiar speed sensor set up I am not to familiar with that one. As far as adjusting the speedo cal. Basically I know of no device out that that will alow you to change it. It is burried in the engine and transmission calibration.
Old 05-07-2004, 04:04 PM   #12
zyklor

It's no big deal. I will just buy the right size. Thanx 4 all the help.