Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 10-10-2012, 05:56 PM   #1
gabemiranda
GX Member

gabemiranda is on a distinguished road
Need help taking out deck

Hi everyone

I need help taking out my deck. I have an 01 2 door Alero. and i bought the car with a xdm6825 deck. I bought a sub, box, amp and wiring kit intending to install it all myself but i hit a roadblock when i tried to take out the deck. reading through other forums told me to take out a pin on the shifter, i think it may have already been removed because i don't see anything there, i tried to pull off the shifter knob but it wouldn't budge. can someone please help I'm pretty car illiterate and this project is really stressing me out. i just want to get to the rca's on the back of my deck thanks.

any pics of the shifter pin and any tips would be greatly appreciated thanks
gabemiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:23 PM   #2
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
.. on the front of the shifter there is a little slot with a little medal pin in it, pull that out, then the shifter will pull straight up and off, then the black plastic around the radio, its just held by clips, pry it straight back and itll pop off, then 4 8-10mm bolts hold the radio in. should be self explanitory from there.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:31 PM   #3
gabemiranda
GX Member

what does the pin in the shifter look like? on mine i just see an empty slot facing the dashboard. not sure if its been removed already.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:40 PM   #4
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute

sorry for the crappy quality ipod video but it is what i had...should get the point across...may want to put it back in park while you are changing the unit over, you don't have to shift it like i said but it makes it easier to see
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:48 PM   #5
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
perfect.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:05 PM   #6
gabemiranda
GX Member

wow thanks alot friend, i really appreciate the video
Old 10-10-2012, 09:52 PM   #7
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

tw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond repute
just a quick thought... why are you wanting to remove the shift knob just to get at the stereo? i have done stereo's in 3 alero's multiple times, and I have never removed the shift knob... just pop the clips at the top of the radio bezel, pull gently, it will pop the shift assembly trim, put the car in 1 with the ebrake applied, wiggle the radio bezel out, shift back to park and proceed with radio removal/installation...

sorry for the darkness, this was at 2:30 am the morning before a car show i entered...

Misty: 3400, S&S headers, TCE 65mm TB, CAI, 180* TStat, Milzy motor & tranny mount, 18" BOSS 328 & much more... going osv!!
Silver: 2.4L, 5 speed, GAGT seats, front & rear STB's, all red tails, led headlights, Magnaflow muffler, Milzy Motor mount, WAI, Cosmo short shifter; sold n missed
Tequila: 2.4L, GA interior swap, scrapped...
tw0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:27 PM   #8
sleepyalero
GLS member

thats another idea. but also takes 2 seconds to take shifter off.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote: