Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 02-23-2004, 02:42 PM   #1
alerosoldier

I was on ebay, and there is this guy selling so-called "Modchips" for all different breeds of autos. He had one for the alero. He says it will add 15+ horsepower. Now i'm sure this is probably some little wire or diode you slap onto something under the hood but i'm curious if anyone has purchased one of these or knows what it is and how it's done? the thing costs 5 bucks on ebay. let me know!
Old 02-23-2004, 02:48 PM   #2
Naich
The Founder

Naich is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Naich
he is a big fat liar! Those "mod chips" are just resistors that don't do anything.

Naich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 03:21 PM   #3
alerosoldier

lol. i figured as much... what a load of crap! is there any "inexpensive" way to gain some horse power though? i'm on a budget right now. I wrecked the alero and had to get her fixed, 3000 dollars in damages... the insurance covered most of it except I did have a thousand dollar deductible i had to pay. ahhh!!!!!!!!! i'm looking for some cheap, easy to do performance mods while i'm in the hole. figured i'd go ahead and get that out here rather than start a new topic.
Old 02-23-2004, 03:54 PM   #4
Naich
The Founder

not really cheap....

I went like this....

CAI from APOC- $170ish
SLP Catback- $375ish

anything else starts costing a lot of money. My next steps will be 62mm TB, ported & polished upper and lower manifolds, TOG headers (or maybe S&S), and maybe cams.

each thing starts to cost a lot...

Old 02-23-2004, 03:54 PM   #5
Naich
The Founder

you can make your own CAI though for like $50 ot $60, check out the "how to" section.

Old 02-23-2004, 06:10 PM   #6
mfuller

Upgrade your rear swaybar.....it makes the car so much more fun to drive. $140 at www.partsforyourcar.com.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:49 AM   #7
supvnman

those modchips are really just a resistor but they actually work. Its not goin to be as good as getting a fully reprogrammed ecu but it does make ur car a little quicker. Just a thought; has anyone had any expirience with these or are they just sayin it wont work because it costs 24.99?
Old 03-02-2004, 05:36 PM   #8
Crazy_Canuck

Quote:
Originally posted by supvnman@Mar 2 2004, 04:49 PM
those modchips are really just a resistor but they actually work. Its not goin to be as good as getting a fully reprogrammed ecu but it does make ur car a little quicker. Just a thought; has anyone had any expirience with these or are they just sayin it wont work because it costs 24.99?
Once again, I'd stay away from anything that plays with your engine timing unless your computer has been programmed.

Better off getting a CAI and Exhaust to start with. Then if you really want to sink money into a vehicle, go for the TC/SC, headers, cams, TB's etc....

You essentially get what you pay for. If you try to cut corners, you start risking engine damage, poor fuel economy, or other nasty maladies. Nothing is 'cheap' in the world of engine modifications.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:00 PM   #9
Naich
The Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by supvnman@Mar 2 2004, 11:49 AM
If you're paying $25 for that, you are gettin raped. It costs $0.20 at Radio Shack. And it DOES NOT DO MUCH OF ANYTHING.

Show me dyno slips. If "feels" faster because you want it to.