Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 03-29-2004, 09:55 PM   #1
jeremythebear
GX Member

jeremythebear is an unknown quantity at this point
So the 17x7.5 American Racing Estrella wheels wrapped with 225/45-17 Kumho tires arrived today.
I really thought that new wheels and tires would only make a little difference as I was upgrading from stock rims with Goodyear 225/50-16. I was hoping for a good cornering improvement but the real reason I bought them was then I could have a full winter and summer set. Boy was I wrong. The difference was huge. The car corners even better (like alot better) and it wasn't doing too bad to start with. I tested them out on a stretch of road called Lakeshore Road (if you know T.O. then from the Beaches to Etobicoke) and I was having so much fun that I started giggling uncontrollably and that is when I think I peed myself.
I really love my car and as I improve it I am sometimes amazed at how well it performs. I am a big cornering freak and I hate body roll so this day is definitely going down in the diary (gotta go and buy one, hmmm maybe I'll take the car)
jeremythebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 10:45 PM   #2
haulmarc

pics????????????
Old 03-29-2004, 11:05 PM   #3
dopey

i know what u mean dude..... i have 18inch rims wiht 225 40 18 with yokohama db s2's....... intrax springs and kyb struts....

as im sure u have noticed the ride is a bit bumpy....... but ya the handleing improvement is unreal..... makes the car drive dam near like a vette. i love it...
Old 03-29-2004, 11:13 PM   #4
jabartram
AutoCross Alero

jabartram is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jabartram Send a message via Yahoo to jabartram
Yeah I look for reasons to put my suspension to the test, get the front and rear struttower braces, stiffens the car up alot more!
jabartram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 11:17 PM   #5
jeremythebear
GX Member

jabar did not not look at my mod list
and sweet, i guess with the eibachs and the 17 inch with 45 profile my ride is actually not too bad at all. Don't know if I could handle 18's and 40 profile as I use this as a courier car.
and haul, hopefully very shortly - have to borrow a friend's digital cam
Old 03-29-2004, 11:27 PM   #6
dopey

u know i was actally watchin a show on the speed channel the other day....... they were saying that strut tower braces actually arent good for stock cars and shouldnt be used. something about how it messes up to much of the geometry and weight transfer than for what the car was designed for..... but oh well i know no1 has ever had a problem with them so enjoy.
Old 03-29-2004, 11:30 PM   #7
jabartram
AutoCross Alero

jabartram is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jabartram Send a message via Yahoo to jabartram
Sorry I didnt actually see you mod section, so you know what i'm talking about huh? I still want the upgrade swaybars but I have to wait.
jabartram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 12:07 AM   #8
Final-Reality

Sweet, I saw that same show and when he said that I thought "WTH are you talking about!"

A bit after he was done talking they were ricing out some car, like an RSX or whatever, because that guy races an RSX in the SCCA Speed World Challenge Touring Car class, and of course front and rear strut tower braces were part of the package. Anyways, I think he was just trying to stress the fact that you shouldnt just go out and buy a bunch of random parts for your street car, because they generally werent designed together and don't work well together. Which I guess can be true if you intend to do serious track work with the car, but a simple strut tower brace won't hurt anything, it simply helps keep the upper suspension geometry in check. Although you do lose camber adjustments with it...

Edit: Also, most of the cornering improvement likely came from the improved rubber, since it's still the same width, and you'll get better steering feel and response because they're lower profile..
Old 03-30-2004, 09:35 AM   #9
johny_boy32
V.I.P. Member

johny_boy32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to johny_boy32
Here is a pic of the Wheels You all know what the tires look like.
Old 03-30-2004, 11:24 AM   #10
a2k
GX Member

a2k is an unknown quantity at this point
Where did you get your rims from?

And that cut of lakeshore blvd is sooooooo much fun to drive fast on.. so windy and gorgous scenery.. it's great!
a2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 06:29 PM   #11
jeremythebear
GX Member

www.tiretrends.com
wheels and tires mounted and balanced to my door - $1392.00
they sell american racing wheels even though not listed on their site - this company is great for canadians as they are in BC (no silly duty to pay)
jabar within 2 weeks I will have new swaybars on so I will update you
Old 03-31-2004, 09:50 PM   #12
jeremythebear
GX Member

A little addition. Along with the cornering the following things were improved:
1) The vibration from the tranny mount has been much reduced - I was thinking of going back to the stock mount as the vibration was annoying but now no need
2) With the stock 16's and goodyear eagles i was getting at slow speeds (5km) a noise that can best be described as a worn wheel bearing sound - now gone