Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 02-22-2004, 09:03 PM   #1
alerocity

i know cold air is better than warm air, but what are some positives with the wai?
i know it has to be some.
Old 02-22-2004, 09:04 PM   #2
3.4Alero

Cheaper and easier to install. If you just want the sound, WAI is fine. But CAI looks and performs better.
Old 02-22-2004, 09:26 PM   #3
johny_boy32
V.I.P. Member

johny_boy32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to johny_boy32
i have a wai temporarely and i can say i might be one of the few that actually noticed a gain with it. I could never squeel my tires like i can now. Its easier to put on and its a lot cheaper for the advantages but the cai is much more saught after...more gains and their is a how-to where, if you are crafty, you can make your own for about $60 i believe.
Old 02-22-2004, 09:58 PM   #4
Purple&Black

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread....&threadid=27985

Quote:
Originally posted by Final-Reality@Jan 17 2004, 06:41 PM
:rolleyes: Here we go again, this same old stupid argument...

The shorter the intake pipe, the better.
The colder the air, the better.

Yes, a "short-ram" WAI will give you better low end response, because the air has to travel a shorter distance to get into the engine. Thats why in that GAGT thread those people were amazed at how big of a difference the "short-ram" intake made in low-end throttle response.

And while it's true that you do most of your driving around town in low RPMs, thus making this seem like a better option for street driving, if/when you actually race (don't street race losers :P ), the CAI would be the better option. While low-end response is lost due to the slower moving air (at low RPMs) having to travel a longer distance, at high RPMs, that air is already moving at a good speed, so the advantage moves back to the CAI, where it's sucking in much colder air from outside the engine bay... and when racing, your engine spends most of its time (I would hope) at higher RPMs.

So, once again, a CAI is the better option over a WAI. Just try to keep that intake piping as short as possible...

If you wan't to just "feel" like you're accelerating faster as you hit the throttle from a stop and your engine quickly responds and jumps in RPMs, go ahead and get a short-ram intake, but just remember that once your engine moves past ~3000rpms, that WAI is hurting your performance compared to a CAI... no more of this "arguing", please?
Old 02-22-2004, 10:05 PM   #5
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
I felt a gain over the WAI after installing the CAI.

In addition to the WAI being easier to install, you have to clean the filter less

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 01:19 PM   #6
frozenchickendinner

I would just do a WAI, cause you cant really feel a 2 hp increase in your car. Its alot more work to do a cool air, and it just doesnt seem worth it. The only differancee that intake is gunna make is its gunna make more noise, which is ok, cause thats the only reason i keep mine on, it makes the motor sound better. So do whatever you want, but i say do a regular short intake and big cone filter, cause like i said, you arent gunna able to feel the differance in your car from 2 or 3 hp.
Old 02-23-2004, 06:57 PM   #7
Final-Reality

Quote:
Originally posted by frozenchickendinner@Feb 23 2004, 01:19 PM
cause like i said, you arent gunna able to feel the differance in your car from 2 or 3 hp.
It'll be more than a 2 or 3 hp difference in the summer when your underhood air temps skyrocket, it also decreases the chances of detonation
Old 02-24-2004, 03:15 AM   #8
frozenchickendinner

k, my bad, 5 or 6hp in the summer. Maybe the people who have or had nitrous will agree with me on this one, i had a 75 shot on my car, and when you spray, you can hardly feel it, its no fast and furious break neck speed increase, so to tell me you can feel anything under 10 hp, sounds like a crock to me.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:00 PM   #9
Skiboarder311
GLS member

Skiboarder311 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Skiboarder311
i'm gonna have to agree with him on this one.

i had a 50 shot of nos last year, and 50 hp ain't that much.

5 or 6 would be damn near un noticable
Old 02-25-2004, 11:24 PM   #10
Final-Reality

Quote:
Originally posted by Skiboarder311@Feb 25 2004, 10:00 PM
5 or 6 would be damn near un noticable
no poop... so why bother with either the CAI or the WAI? If you have other engine mods, it makes a difference...
Old 02-26-2004, 02:24 AM   #11
havik

We should sticky one of the air intake threads.