Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Main Forums > Regional Discussions & Meets > Canada

Old 03-09-2004, 11:39 PM   #1
sparky009

I know that I should post this somewhere else but I want the opinion of fellow Canadians because we all know that US winters are not as bad as ours....

I have bought the ST spring and was hesitant to put them on because I will need to drive my Alero at least 1 more winter.....

So getting to my question.... Did any of ou have your car lowered this winter and tell me how the drive was.....

Thanks
Spark :thumbsup:
Old 03-10-2004, 12:39 AM   #2
99blackalero

i got eibach's and they're still on....noticed no problems with the snow
Old 03-10-2004, 01:40 AM   #3
havik

Speaking of lowering springs, if we order these from an American store, do we pay duty?
Old 03-10-2004, 01:56 AM   #4
99blackalero

if it crosse the border...yup
Old 03-10-2004, 03:23 AM   #5
sparky009

yeah you do pay duty it is like paying the tax when I got my springs I had to pay a extra 15% on top of the purchase price
Old 03-10-2004, 08:00 AM   #6
jeremythebear
GX Member

jeremythebear is an unknown quantity at this point
I've got eibachs and no problem. They give an almost stock comfort level but stiffen up good for corners.
jeremythebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 09:32 AM   #7
Dynamitealero

Well its true we have long winters in Canada but it depends on where you live. Here in Winnipeg for example on some days you'd be driving as snow plow and doing the city a favor. Coilovers would be the best way to go.
Old 03-10-2004, 01:45 PM   #8
sparky009

Next question do you guys have stock struts or other ones?????
Old 03-10-2004, 02:33 PM   #9
99blackalero

ive got KYB struts on mine
Old 03-10-2004, 02:43 PM   #10
mixmastercase
GL Member

mixmastercase is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to mixmastercase
Actually last summer when I had my accord I wanted the coilovers but this guy at a shop told me that they would rust if driven in winter. So you would probably only get one summer out of them and for $2000.00 It's not worth it. I think I will be getting the ST springs as well sparky.
mixmastercase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 02:47 PM   #11
Pellinore
GX Member

Pellinore is an unknown quantity at this point
There shouldn't be any duty on them just the PST and GST. If you really need to save money than you could get them put on down there, but you would have to leave your stock ones there. (if your close to the boarder) I did this with my exhaust, but you have to cut up your stock exhaust anyways.
Pellinore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 04:18 PM   #12
havik

I know where I can order KYB struts in Canada but I can't find Intrax anywhere. I'd settle for Eibachs (found a Canadian store for them) but I've heard better things about Intrax

Sorry about the thread jacking btw
Old 03-10-2004, 05:14 PM   #13
sparky009

^^^^^its all good...^^^^^^

What I did was order my spring directly from suspensiomax.com they were like 130 USD and with tax and shipping and currency change it was close to 200 canadian and I'm getting my springs installed for 100 cash at my buddys garage......

Now back to the topic at hand did any of you have problems driving this winter with your cars lowered.......
Old 03-10-2004, 08:05 PM   #14
Baracuda96
V.I.P. Member

Baracuda96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Baracuda96 Send a message via AIM to Baracuda96 Send a message via MSN to Baracuda96 Send a message via Yahoo to Baracuda96
I really like my ride with the Eibach springs / KYB struts... it feels nice and tight... alot better than the stock springs...

I gotta tell ya though.. i keep bottoming out on the potholes in T.O. The roads are awful right now!!! issed:
Old 03-10-2004, 09:37 PM   #15
jeremythebear
GX Member

I have stock struts right now but tomorrow will have KYBs. I drive the car as a courier putting 50k a year in Toronto. Do yourself a favour, if you plan on keeping the car for a while then get aftermarket struts put on at the same time as springs. Cuts down on labour and your stock struts will not be able to "control" the aftermarket springs. They will wear much quicker (mine are worn considerably after 30k). I will reply to his forum tomorrow and give you an update on the new struts.
Also, with lowering you will find that you will scrape the exhaust where it runs around the rear axel on the snow that ends up collecting in the middle of side streets but this is just irritating.
Old 03-11-2004, 09:09 PM   #16
jeremythebear
GX Member

This was a personal message that I will just paste the reply as it covers today's install.

Eibach springs had been done separately 30k ago (silly move - don't be an idiot like me - get them installled - springs and struts together - your stock struts will work but not effectively with the springs). Reduced body roll 30 % over stock "sport suspension". Install smooth, love em. Lowered 1.5" all around - nice look. A firmness not hard to get used to. Cost of springs in us dollars at a garage should be around 340.00
KYB stuts installed - WOW - reduced body roll another 30% - struts should run you 340.00us for 4
Installation should be 2 - 2.5 hours labour and a four wheel alignment

I also cannot say enough about a rear strut brace as I also installed front and rear separately - the front does some but the rear does more - tightens up the rear end as aleros ( and probably many other models) tend to be a bit sloppy back there.

By the way these prices are generous on behalf of the garage - You should not pay more - If they want these prices or more - shop around
Old 03-14-2004, 07:10 PM   #17
Baracuda96
V.I.P. Member

Baracuda96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Baracuda96 Send a message via AIM to Baracuda96 Send a message via MSN to Baracuda96 Send a message via Yahoo to Baracuda96
^^^ I'll agree.. i should've gotten my springs installed the same time as I got my Eibachs... Even RSM would do it for a decent price... i got them to do the installation of the struts and aligned it a couple times since.... they are reasonable and stand by their work.. it's better to get it done right the first time... (Trust me on that)..
Old 03-14-2004, 08:28 PM   #18
jeremythebear
GX Member

cuda, heard you had a prolly with install of springs - who did it? Or is it a sore topic?
Old 03-15-2004, 08:57 PM   #19
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Quote:
Originally posted by Baracuda96@Mar 14 2004, 07:10 PM
^^^ I'll agree.. i should've gotten my springs installed the same time as I got my Eibachs... Even RSM would do it for a decent price... i got them to do the installation of the struts and aligned it a couple times since.... they are reasonable and stand by their work.. it's better to get it done right the first time... (Trust me on that)..
Yeah I made the same mistake. Now my sturts are atarting to go. I'll buy KYB's soon

As for winter driving, I have the Eibach and our biggest snowfall in Philly this year was 10 inches. Still got the car in and out of my "common" driveway with no problems. Eibach only drops you about 1.25 inch though

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote