Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Main Forums > Regional Discussions & Meets > Canada

Old 03-29-2004, 05:41 PM   #1
a2k
GX Member

a2k is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a set of Intrax ALERO lowering springs (not GA springs) that i need to install. I decided to let the pros do this one - so looking for a place to do it. Ive been thinking to take it to RSM Racing in 'sauga to do the install since they specialize in our type of cars.

How is their qualitiy of work?? Any other shops i should consider in the GTA? Also how much does a lowering spring install + 4 wheel alignment usually run? RSM wants $240 cdn.

thx.
a2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 07:45 PM   #2
jeremythebear
GX Member

jeremythebear is an unknown quantity at this point
awesome and you can confirm this with baracuda96.
Their price is close to if not the cheapest.
get kyb struts done at same time - price for install will not go up
beg borrow or steal the money for the struts - stock struts will work but they wear quickly and the ride is not as much fun
please trust me on this
jeremythebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 12:07 AM   #3
a2k
GX Member

I remember Jenn telling me that they fixed her initial crappy spring install.

As for the struts.. i was considering them.... but do they really make that big a difference?? and yeah it wont cost anymore for installation since they have to remove all those parts anyways while doing the springs right.. coool....

know anywhere cheap in CAN to get those? i remember tirerack had them for liek 55 bux each US or somethign retardily cheaper than canada... hmmm....

thanks!
Old 03-30-2004, 12:16 AM   #4
Baracuda96
V.I.P. Member

Baracuda96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Baracuda96 Send a message via AIM to Baracuda96 Send a message via MSN to Baracuda96 Send a message via Yahoo to Baracuda96
I haven't had any issues since RSM has done the work on my car to correct the problems that I was having. Do yourself a favour and go the cheaper route to have the strut install done at the same time. I have had RSM do an alignment since and everything is just great from their point of view... they also will stand by their work and have guaranteed that I shouldn't have any further issues with the suspension - if I do, Nelson told me to bring it back.

As for where to get the struts... I got a couple from Tire rack in the states.. but it's kinda crappy gettin them from them directly because of brokerage fees... if you have an American friend that can kinda bring em over for you, it's a better bet.
RSM also carries the front and rears, but I'm not too sure how much they're gonna charge... other places do carry the parts as well... did you price em at all through performance improvements?
Old 03-30-2004, 12:17 AM   #5
Final-Reality

It's a waste of money bringing your car all the way there for a simple spring install. Bring it to a local garage, tell them to make sure the rubber bushings on top of the struts get placed back properly so they don't move or squeak (the only issue installing these things) and they'll do just as good a job as anybody.
Old 03-30-2004, 12:30 AM   #6
a2k
GX Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Final-Reality@Mar 30 2004, 05:17 AM
It's a waste of money bringing your car all the way there for a simple spring install. Bring it to a local garage, tell them to make sure the rubber bushings on top of the struts get placed back properly so they don't move or squeak (the only issue installing these things) and they'll do just as good a job as anybody.
RSM is actually a 5 min drive from my house as I live in Etobicoke. So it's local for me. :thumbsup:
Old 03-30-2004, 12:37 AM   #7
Final-Reality

Then I guess as long as their labour rates are reasonable?
Old 03-30-2004, 11:31 AM   #8
a2k
GX Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Baracuda96@Mar 30 2004, 05:16 AM
As for where to get the struts... I got a couple from Tire rack in the states.. but it's kinda crappy gettin them from them directly because of brokerage fees... if you have an American friend that can kinda bring em over for you, it's a better bet.
RSM also carries the front and rears, but I'm not too sure how much they're gonna charge... other places do carry the parts as well... did you price em at all through performance improvements?
question: on tirerack they have strut rubber housing thingies -- do you need to buy that too -- or just the struts?

i'll call performance improvements -- or hell just go in on queensway -- again 5 min away from my house..
Old 03-30-2004, 12:33 PM   #9
Baracuda96
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via ICQ to Baracuda96 Send a message via AIM to Baracuda96 Send a message via MSN to Baracuda96 Send a message via Yahoo to Baracuda96
question: on tirerack they have strut rubber housing thingies -- do you need to buy that too -- or just the struts?

Honestly, if you have any questions, I'd talk to someone who knows their stuff regarding the struts and the strut mount assemblies and whatnot. I have no idea what a strut rubber housing thingie is... but Nelson at RSM will be able to answer any questions or recommendations you may have. GM doesn't even know how to do this install properly (i've gone through tons of poop with mine)... i've had mine done three times in total so far... RSM knew their stuff. They also did alignments and maintenance on the car since the install - they're really good to deal with. If I had known better in the first place, i would've gone ahead and done it through RSM in the first place - their price is pretty reasonable.. Replace the struts now, because they will be done within a year or two after the install.
Old 03-30-2004, 06:41 PM   #10
jeremythebear
GX Member

jeremythebear is an unknown quantity at this point
rsm is cheap and good
hr springs at rsm 499.00 cdn - nelson loves these puppies
struts - 119.00 ea cdn
install and four wheel alignment 240.00 cdn
full install - everything 1219.00 cdn plus tax
w/o springs - 719.00 cdn plus tax
btw next level (another garage in etobicoke wants 240.00 plus 80 for alignment - can u say ripoff)
these were the guys who installed my eibachs before I knew bout rsm
jeremythebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 10:54 AM   #11
a2k
GX Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Baracuda96@Mar 30 2004, 05:33 PM
I have no idea what a strut rubber housing thingie is...
Let me rephrase the question Jen -- when you bought your struts from tirerack.com -- did you buy just the 4 struts, or did you buy 4 struts + 4 boots?

Thx
Old 03-31-2004, 10:57 AM   #12
a2k
GX Member

OK Guys -- i have 80,000 km on my stock alero struts. If I drop my car with the Intrax Alero springs - how many more km or how much more time do you guys think my stock struts will last?

thx.
Old 03-31-2004, 12:20 PM   #13
Baracuda96
V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally posted by a2k@Mar 31 2004, 03:57 PM
OK Guys -- i have 80,000 km on my stock alero struts. If I drop my car with the Intrax Alero springs - how many more km or how much more time do you guys think my stock struts will last?

thx.
I have 88K on my car now... my struts on the front OEM was done when I changed them back in Jan 2003. I think I put on about 25K this past year.. But then again, the progression of wear was due to the fact that my car was lowered with the springs for some time....
Old 03-31-2004, 05:00 PM   #14
Molson
V.I.P. Member

Molson is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Molson Send a message via MSN to Molson
I have 120,000 on my stock struts. They are fine. I had intrax on and off.

I can have your springs installed for 80 CDN. Just we don't do alignments, which runs 60.00 locally. I did Intrax with my stock struts, and they are fine. You are good to use your stock strut mounts/bearings as long as they are still fine. (boot is good too) Even so, replacement strut mounts are only 40.00.. The original guy who put Jen's springs in set the spring wrong on the top mount and it bound at the bearing.. I changed my springs/struts out a bunch of time, I can have all 4 corners out and dissassembled now is less than 30 mins.
Molson is offline   Reply With Quote