Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Alero Appearance

Old 09-04-2004, 11:14 PM   #1
glowbot

Hi everyone.

My car is in need of a new paint job. So my question is how much does it cost on avg to get a job done? Is it possible to get the stuff and do it myself?

Adam
Old 09-04-2004, 11:49 PM   #2
FormulaNERD
GLS member

FormulaNERD is an unknown quantity at this point
i'd talk to bdyman... well hes reading now, so i'm sure you'd get a good response.

but it all depends on what you want... you could get a fairly cheap one... i'd say 700 from maaco... but that wont include door jams or anything else... unless you're painting it the same color, then it wouldnt matter much.
FormulaNERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 11:52 PM   #3
bdyman
GLS member

bdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond repute
lol!!!!
ok 1st off here are my labor rates 25 an hour at 40 hours at 3 weeks worth of work=$3,000
and if you have no clue what you are doing or how to use a D.A. or how to feather edge paint or no knowledge of painting skills then let someone do the job for you
labor rates here in the chicago land aera are high so i don`t know how they are by you but here is the rates at the last shop i worked at
body and paint before i left were up to 85 an hour frame and mechanical went up to 90 an hour now iam just giving you a heads up maybe it`s cheaper out where you live
if you have dent or hihg spots in the metal ya need body hammers and dollies
and i like to use a metal file spoon dollies to fix any mis aligned sheet metal
clip tools 6 inch and 9 inch D.A. we call those "mud hogs"
anyway......you get what you pay for you want cheap that is what the car will look like you want nice and the body work and paint to last then you pay for it
when you go to the shop ask questions allot of questions, like what kind of paint system do you use? do you have any pic`s of the work you have done??
stuff like that
will you remove all moldings??? tail lights headlights bumpers see what iam sayin???
what we body fender men do for a living is not cheap and not easy work
i guess if you have any more questions i will be glad to help ya
bdyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 05:42 AM   #4
Oldsmopimp

Don't go to macco. lol, say your alero is your girlfriend...it's like takin her out to White Castle.

moral of story, a good paint job is not cheap...EVEN if it's stock color
Old 09-05-2004, 05:47 AM   #5
Oldsmopimp

Ok, got booted of my DIALUP connection, lol..thats right. So can a mod please clean this up. thnx

[EDIT: Double post removed. -- Daytona]
Old 09-05-2004, 10:51 AM   #6
glowbot

I was thinking more on the lines of striping the car myself and maybe priming it then sending it into a paint shop. The things is I want to do some body mods to the car. I hate to spend money on stuff that I can do. Paint I don't think I can but the body work for sure.

3000.00 is that the paint, supplies and labor or just labor?

Adam
Old 09-05-2004, 11:36 AM   #7
bdyman
GLS member

bdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond repute
3,000 is for everything labor and cost of material that`s a price from my garage and that is side work
you go anywhere is going to be allot higher
are you sure you know what your doing??? are you a body fender tech???? have you ever used the body work tools??? a D.A. body hammers spoon dollies if you know someone that is a body man have him help you just don`t jump into body work if you have no clue to what your doing i have been in it for 15 yrs and every day it`s a learning experience
that`s my professional opinion
Old 09-05-2004, 11:50 AM   #8
glowbot

OK maybe I well bring it in for the body mods I want done. What about stripping it down? I would guess this is where most of the labor fees are added up. How much you think I would save doing this? I would call a body shop but hell they would tell me that I can't do it and to bring it in for a quote lol. I was guessing it would cost around 3 - 4G to paint the car but if I can get that around 2500 1500 or lower that would be nice. I am not looking for a cheap job with low grade paint. When I'm done with this car I want to show it.

Adam
Old 09-05-2004, 02:46 PM   #9
FormulaNERD
GLS member

Quote:
Originally posted by Oldsmopimp@Sep 5 2004, 09:42 AM
Don't go to macco. lol, say your alero is your girlfriend...it's like takin her out to White Castle.

moral of story, a good paint job is not cheap...EVEN if it's stock color
f*** that dude, white castle is the SH*T! if some 'ho doesnt like white castle, she can go find another man.

but yea, i know maaco sucks, but this guy is talkin about doing it himself, he obviously doesnt know how, poop not many of us do.... so maaco is probably his best option (if he's short on cash).

besides, my buddy's car got hit, and maaco ended up painting it... it was the highest option they had, like 900 bucks or something, and it actually looks really good.
Old 09-05-2004, 03:20 PM   #10
glowbot

I got the cash just looking for options. Don't want to go cheap my car needs better then that. If I can help no spending 50.00 a hour for someone to sand the paint off my car I'm sure as hell going to do it. Painting it I'm sure with time I could learn but right now I think bdymanm is right I should have that done professionaly. If the cost is 3G thats less then I first thought it would cost. I was really looking at around 4500.00 to do the car. The big thing is I'm getting the ground effects some scoops maybe some other poop for the car so it's going to need to be painted might as well do it right the first time and do the whole thing.
Oh ya the body has not dents in it. I have always parked it away from other cars or between cars double the cost of my own lol.

My goal is to make the car show quality by next spring.

Adam
Old 09-05-2004, 07:16 PM   #11
bdyman
GLS member

well you just said it your self
if money is no problem go for it
you want show quality your goign to pay for it
you want cheap it will look like poop
ya if ya don`t know how to play body man let us do that for ya and pay to have it done
i my self will never take a car that is in primer means i am fixing someone else poopty body work
take it to a shop let the pro`s handle it for ya
or drive the car to me and let me do it
Old 09-05-2004, 09:02 PM   #12
FormulaNERD
GLS member

i wish i was back home, my neighbor does custom work, for alot of older hotrods and stuff, he told me he'd paint mine for 500 plus paint costs...
Old 09-05-2004, 09:27 PM   #13
glowbot

That's really the way to go. Make friends with someone that does body work. I'm in the same boat. Moved from Canada to VA 2 years ago. Was friends with a owner of a body shop that did work for my family. Sure I can still get it done but the Canadian Dollor is doing good right now. Not really worth the time and money. Not only that but driving a car with mods across the boarder like mine can add up to a stripped car if the boarder guard sees fit. Going into Canada is not really the problem half the time they don't ask for a passport lol. Coming into the US is a different story. Just about every time we have done the US boarder we have been flagged and searched. They don't care if they damage your car. Worst of all they make you put all the panels and s**t back on the car they take off and if something broke it's not their fault. So ya I hear you.

Adam