Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 01-08-2014, 11:15 AM   #1
negolien
GL Member

negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien
blew a hose yesterday

Hey All,

I' am at work but here's the story. I was on the way home from work yesterday when at a red light I noticed a little smoke/steam coming from the joint where the fender and hood meet at driver side. I was like well crap that's not good. Luckily I was almost home. I get home and open the hood and there is fluid everywhere. Dripping from the hood all over the engine and battery. I was in my Whites (Security) so I dared not touch anything. I' am thinking I hope that's not oil ...

I changed clothes and came back down. When I opened the hood the first thing I noticed was a hose with a crack in it. As I' am looking at the motor with the hood open standing in front of the car it's top right side. I assume it's the radiator hose. It goes to the block and the radiator.

I was going to pick one up on the way home today and just wanted to make sure there is only one hose that comes off the radiator by the battery. Would suck to get one and have to exchange it because it was the wrong one lol.
negolien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:41 PM   #2
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
I had the same issue and it blew on me. Coolant everywhere!

The hose goes to the thermostat housing into the radiator. Easy fix.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:12 PM   #3
negolien
GL Member

negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien
Great thanks. I was so not happy thinking that was gonna cost me a couple of grand. Remember I just purchased a new HU and Back up camera. Thank god I haven't had it installed yet lol. Hope that's all it is. I will pdate somtimes this wekend probably.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:51 PM   #4
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Okay. Should be just that hose.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:59 PM   #5
negolien
GL Member

sucky sucky

OMG lol what a huge pain in the a**. Try getting to and replacing that hose with only a flathead, Philips, Pliers and Channel locks. Meh sucking donkey nutz....I' am getting a set of the screw clamps after work. I can't get the old clamp type over the lip of the lower hose. I also had to break the damn battery tray so picking a new one up from the Chevy dealer after work too lol along with a Socket Set...I couldn't get the pliers or channel locks on the tray bolts. Little frustration at that moment in time got the best of me
Old 01-10-2014, 01:57 PM   #6
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Coolant hoses can go bad on these cars??? I thought that they normally outlasted the engines on most cars made in roughly the last 30 years.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:45 PM   #7
sleepyalero
GLS member

No they go bad lol
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-11-2014, 04:30 PM   #8
negolien
GL Member

Sigh finally done

OK finally finished it. I went to pick & pull for the Battery tray...$11 and some change. Damn dealer wanted $41 lol. Went to Wal-Mart and got a $30 Stanley socket set with tool chest included I got the hose clamps with the screws. Finished this morning. Amazing how easy things can be with the proper tools.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:20 PM   #9
aleros_eat_rice
GL Member

aleros_eat_rice is on a distinguished road
I had my heater core hose break on me while I was in the Autozone parking lot. Couldn't have been luckier, especially since they had both hoses (was soon to replace them both anyway), and both quick connect fittings.

Sucks that I had to spend $35 on a set of hose clamp pliers, though.
aleros_eat_rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:34 PM   #10
negolien
GL Member

LOL feel ya man

I had an issue like this years ago trying to change the battery in our Saturn without the proper tools. Think I would have learned after that lol. Ended up costing me more to fix the stuff I broke than it would have cost me to have the dealer replace the broken hose.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:19 AM   #11
sleepyalero
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by negolien View Post
OK finally finished it. I went to pick & pull for the Battery tray...$11 and some change. Damn dealer wanted $41 lol.

i could have told you that, why would you even consider going to a GM dealer for that? lol

i went there for shits and giggles on a replacement fog light. whole assembly they wanted 112$. thats just for ONE.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-10-2014, 11:18 AM   #12
negolien
GL Member

yeah wasn't bad after I got some tools But I was trying to avoid doing it myself just because I didn't have any. I should have just gotten the tools and done it instead of trying to do it with a flat head, Channel locks and a pair of pliers.