Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 05-07-2014, 01:41 PM   #21
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by negolien View Post
People do that still? lol the fact this turned out to be overheating scares me you don't have a temp sensor?

I did it to my Camaro when my water pump went out and it kept spitting back out the dexcool from the radiator. It's cheap, it works, but it freezes in the winter.
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:15 PM   #22
negolien
GL Member

negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien
Scary

Overheating issues scare me. Nothing worse than getting stuck somewhere on the way to or from work. I get my cooling system checked every year before it heats up. I'd much rather spend $100 once a year than get stranded even with triple A. Amazingly I have never had issues with gushing Lowers or overheating issues in general
negolien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:18 PM   #23
aleros_eat_rice
GL Member

aleros_eat_rice is on a distinguished road
I have a cts, but remember- right now she has 257k miles. Parts are bound to wear out sometime. As for the coolant mix, I usually run around 75/25 dex-cool/water to 60/40. Other than the radiator, tstat and cts, everything else is new or in good condition. I replaced the radiator hoses (both large hoses and the small one from the overflow to the radiator), put a new water pump in last year, so everything else is good to go.

I talked to my ex again, and she mentioned the metal line running from thhe housing to the overflow. She says the end can sometimes get clogged and cause it to run hot as well.
275,000 miles as of 05-14-2015 at 1559 est (3:59 pm)
Planned mods: F body front brake upgrade, ported UIM, LX9 top swap, ported exhaust mans, performance cam. Eventually, turbo or supercharger.
1999 Olds Bravada, 4300 Vortec v6, 4L60E. Current mods (on it when I bought it):
75mm ported throttle body, NGK stage 1 plugs, stage 1 heads.
Planned mods: injector upgrade, exhaust headers
aleros_eat_rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:48 PM   #24
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
I didn't think you were supposed to mix Dexcool with water

Anyway. I run Prestone all makes/all models, 50/50 mix in all my cars. I changed over to the green a while ago, then put in fresh green when I did my water pump back in 2011. When I did the WP, I changed both the upper and lower hoses, just because they were orginal.

Is the coolant being pushed out of the overflow tube?

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:31 PM   #25
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nas Escobar View Post
I did it to my Camaro when my water pump went out and it kept spitting back out the dexcool from the radiator. It's cheap, it works, but it freezes in the winter.

Water by its self also does not cool things as well. My step brother re-filled my radiator with a mix he makes himself to run in derby cars, ran a noticeable amount cooler with it. before that though I was spending money on coolant just to get around, switched to just pouring water and it wasnt as dramatic but it did run hotter. Their is a reason the manufacture says not to just go poring water in there. if your having to refill daily its not worth it but once the problem is fixed flush that out and put in a mix.
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:56 PM   #26
aleros_eat_rice
GL Member

I don't think the coolant is coming out of the overflow tube, that area isn't wet and doesn't smell of antifreeze. Just under the radiator.

If it can hold out til the weekend, I'm in good shape. I can also get the tstat and cts and put them in.
Planned mods: F body front brake upgrade, ported UIM, LX9 top swap, ported exhaust mans, performance cam. Eventually, turbo or supercharger.
1999 Olds Bravada, 4300 Vortec v6, 4L60E. Current mods (on it when I bought it):
Old 05-08-2014, 02:01 AM   #27
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Rad17 View Post
Water by its self also does not cool things as well. My step brother re-filled my radiator with a mix he makes himself to run in derby cars, ran a noticeable amount cooler with it. before that though I was spending money on coolant just to get around, switched to just pouring water and it wasnt as dramatic but it did run hotter. Their is a reason the manufacture says not to just go poring water in there. if your having to refill daily its not worth it but once the problem is fixed flush that out and put in a mix.

I didn't plan to permanently run straight water, it was a band aid until I did my LIM gaskets.I need to do a complete flush anyways, the dexcool turned into sludge since it was never flushed... or so I think because I got it that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
I didn't think you were supposed to mix Dexcool with water

Anyway. I run Prestone all makes/all models, 50/50 mix in all my cars. I changed over to the green a while ago, then put in fresh green when I did my water pump back in 2011. When I did the WP, I changed both the upper and lower hoses, just because they were orginal.

Is the coolant being pushed out of the overflow tube?

You're not supposed to mix any type of coolant with water if it's 50/50 out the box. You can however mix straight Dexcool with water same way you would do so with the green stuff... well at least that's what the Prestone non 50/50 dexcool says.
1996 Infiniti G20
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Old 05-08-2014, 05:19 AM   #28
aleros_eat_rice
GL Member

I never get 50/50. You're paying for a 1/2 gallon of antifreeze and a 1/2gallon of what you get out of the garden hose. I know its an exact mix, but I just don't feel like paying for them to add water.

I'll also need to get another gallon or two of dexcool for when I change the radiator.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:17 AM   #29
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleros_eat_rice View Post
I never get 50/50. You're paying for a 1/2 gallon of antifreeze and a 1/2gallon of what you get out of the garden hose. I know its an exact mix, but I just don't feel like paying for them to add water.

I'll also need to get another gallon or two of dexcool for when I change the radiator.

tecnicaly you need distilled water. your not supposed to use tap water. never know what minierals are in it.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:10 AM   #30
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.graham52 View Post
tecnicaly you need distilled water. your not supposed to use tap water. never know what minierals are in it.

^this guy. Ever see those hard water and lime buildup around your sink or whatever? Thats what your putting in your radiator if you pouring it in there regularly. For temporary solution yes, by means put water in there over nothing.
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:38 AM   #31
negolien
GL Member

negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien
Did your temp gauge never read an issue that's boggling me. I watch mine like a freaking hawk though it's an Alero so ..
Old 05-08-2014, 11:42 AM   #32
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Rad17 View Post
^this guy. Ever see those hard water and lime buildup around your sink or whatever? Thats what your putting in your radiator if you pouring it in there regularly. For temporary solution yes, by means put water in there over nothing.

Putting it in your radiator?

That's what you're putting in on your body when you shower or in your mouth when you brush your teeth. I'm pretty sure the radiator is the least of your worries, but I digress.

BTW if you have a water filter/purifier, use that for your rad water instead.

And Aleros eat rice, the price difference is $2. Are you really getting a better deal?
1996 Infiniti G20
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Old 05-08-2014, 03:10 PM   #33
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nas Escobar View Post
Putting it in your radiator?

That's what you're putting in on your body when you shower or in your mouth when you brush your teeth. I'm pretty sure the radiator is the least of your worries, but I digress.

BTW if you have a water filter/purifier, use that for your rad water instead.

And Aleros eat rice, the price difference is $2. Are you really getting a better deal?

keep your butt hole shut while you shower and for god sakes didnt enyone ever tell you not to swallow? lol
Old 05-08-2014, 03:52 PM   #34
negolien
GL Member

Quote:
keep your butt hole shut while you shower and for god sakes didnt enyone ever tell you not to swallow? lol

That's just good natured teasing but holy crap I was
Old 05-08-2014, 04:16 PM   #35
aleros_eat_rice
GL Member

I was going to flush before doing all of this anyway.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:14 PM   #36
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleros_eat_rice View Post

Exactly. I only buy the 50/50 when I'm in a pinch. Like the year I drove to ASS thru Canada with a crack head gasket and combustion gasses pushed coolant out the overflow, on the side of the road, in upstate NY.

Quote:

Yes. I stopped using tap water a few years ago. Now for every gallon of antifreeze I buy, I buy a gallon of distilled water. It's only 69 cents a gallon

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 12:41 AM   #37
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Quote:

LMAO wow. I thought this was Aleromod, not prison!

I guess this is a good time as any to say watch your back and don't drop the soap!
1996 Infiniti G20
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Old 05-17-2014, 05:30 PM   #38
aleros_eat_rice
GL Member

I cleaned the MAF. It went from black to gray, so yes, it was needed.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:23 PM   #39
aleros_eat_rice
GL Member

Sweet Jesus, the acceleration is amazing with a clean MAF. No hesitation or stumble.

Already paid for the ICM anyway, so I'll probably put it on when it arrives.