Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 01-02-2014, 12:28 PM   #1
03Alerosil
GL Member

03Alerosil is on a distinguished road
Alternator brand question

Hey,
I am looking at getting a brand new alt for my alero, not a reman. I am going to be doing the belt system before too long and want to do the alt as well because the car has 140k on it and i have subs and such. I am shopping on Rockauto.com and they have a Remy alt brand new for $102. Any opinions on this? It sure beats $150+ for a reman at my local Napa. I also thought about getting a salvage yard one and having it rebuilt to put out 120-130 amps, compared to the stock 105 amps. Any thoughts on this as well.

Thanks again for the help.
03Alerosil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:00 PM   #2
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
IIRC you can do a factory upgrade on your alternator using the alt from an Eldorado, which comes from factory at 130 amps. Try looking it up, I forgot which car has the same mounting points as the 3400, but there's a way to do a factory upgrade lol.

Remy was the old company that gave GM parts before they started branding them "Delco". Didn't know they still existed.
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:24 PM   #3
03Alerosil
GL Member

I was looking online. Found an AD237 in a 2003 Buick park ave with the 3.8 looks like it bolts up the same as my CS130D on my 3.4. The AD237 puts out 125 amps compared to my 105. Anyone think this will work?
Old 01-02-2014, 02:55 PM   #4
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
From what I can gather... No, but you maybe able to get away with using one from the U Vans (Venture, Montana, Silhuette, etc). They came in high output.
1996 Infiniti G20
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Old 01-02-2014, 02:57 PM   #5
03Alerosil
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nas Escobar View Post
From what I can gather... No, but you maybe able to get away with using one from the U Vans (Venture, Montana, Silhuette, etc). They came in high output.

Ok. Thought I would ask. Cases and mounting points look the same
Old 01-02-2014, 03:08 PM   #6
Nas Escobar
GLS member

The guys over at the Monte Carlo forum say they won't... I think the best thing to do would be cross reference numbers... or see if you can find the 3400 H.O. alt from a Venture or Montana.
1996 Infiniti G20
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Old 01-02-2014, 03:11 PM   #7
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Remy alternators do have a good reputation and if I were to buy one new I'd get one of those. Having said that, look here:
http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32281

Is there something wrong with your existing alternator?
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:12 PM   #8
03Alerosil
GL Member

Cool. Sounds good. I looked at the u van alts and they look similar too. I like this upgrade cuz it gives me a little more amps but won't overload factory wiring
Old 01-02-2014, 03:16 PM   #9
03Alerosil
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzyzzx View Post
Remy alternators do have a good reputation and if I were to buy one new I'd get one of those. Having said that, look here:
http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32281

Is there something wrong with your existing alternator?

Nothing wrong with it at all. Just looking to replace it cuz of age and I use aftermArket audio including 400watt rms amp to my subs. It will be easy swap when replacing my belt system. If I can use a factory Alt to get another 20 amps that would be cool. May even build mine to output that if it's not expensive
Old 01-02-2014, 03:16 PM   #10
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Alerosil View Post
Cool. Sounds good. I looked at the u van alts and they look similar too. I like this upgrade cuz it gives me a little more amps but won't overload factory wiring

They should be since they use the same engines as the N body. The only thing you may need to look out for is if you need the U body bracket so it will mount to your 3400.

Quote:
Nothing wrong with it at all. Just looking to replace it cuz of age and I use aftermArket audio including 400watt rms amp to my subs. It will be easy swap when replacing my belt system. If I can use a factory Alt to get another 20 amps that would be cool. May even build mine to output that if it's not expensive

Oh yeah, 400 watts RMS is nothing to a 105 Alt. I used to push out 900 with the stock 105 on my old Grand Am. Yeah, I fried loads of subs that way, but the alt was always running like a champ.
1996 Infiniti G20
1989 Buick Regal Limited

Last edited by Nas Escobar : 01-02-2014 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:20 PM   #11
03Alerosil
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nas Escobar View Post
They should be since they use the same engines as the N body. The only thing you may need to look out for is if you need the U body bracket so it will mount to your 3400.

Thanks man. Did some reading and I believe it will bolt up without the u bracket. I would get one from the junkyard but a new one is cheap enough not to bother with used parts. Does anyone know if it will bolt to an alero without the bracket
Old 01-02-2014, 03:23 PM   #12
03Alerosil
GL Member

Oh yeah, 400 watts RMS is nothing to a 105 Alt. I used to push out 900 with the stock 105 on my old Grand Am. Yeah, I fried loads of subs that way, but the alt was always running like a champ.[/quote]

Also good to know. Maybe I just stick with the factory 105 alt and just freshen it up with a new remy one as mine has age on it but still a trooper
Old 01-02-2014, 03:24 PM   #13
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Nothing wrong with it at all. Just looking to replace it cuz of age and I use aftermArket audio including 400watt rms amp to my subs.

No reason to change out an alternator just due to age. Changing out the alternator brushes at around 150K or so makes some sense, but other than that I would leave it alone, or just keep as a spare if you upgrade to something with more amps.

Quote:
If I can use a factory Alt to get another 20 amps that would be cool. May even build mine to output that if it's not expensive

If you can get one from a junkyard that fits that's probably the best way to go. If you want to rebuild to higher output, I would be looking for higher capacity diodes and a regulator that puts out a slightly higher voltage (some alternator voltage regulators do put out higher voltage it idle, I suspect that NAPA uses them in their rebuilds).
Old 01-02-2014, 03:37 PM   #14
03Alerosil
GL Member

I am looking to replace it because I can get it for $100 bucks new and that would ensure that it's putting out full amps.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:49 PM   #15
zzyzzx
GLS member

Quote:
I am looking to replace it because I can get it for $100 bucks new and that would ensure that it's putting out full amps.

Alternators don't get lazy over time! They work as they are supposed to until they don't. It's not like there is any wearing parts in it except for the brushes, which, when worn will cause the alternator to work intermittently (especially at higher RPM's). Yes I do have a car with a voltmeter built into the dash.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:02 PM   #16
03Alerosil
GL Member

I am a college student and will have money soon so I figure I may as well replace it being its so cheap rather than have it go and be screwed
Old 01-02-2014, 11:06 PM   #17
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Truthfully, if it's not broke, don't fix it... The alternator will give you signs of weakness. My Cutlass Supreme was like that when I bought it. It would take a long time to start, it couldn't handle my Alpine head, it would fluctuate when the lights were turned on, it doesn't just go out the window in one day... unless you pour water in it.
1996 Infiniti G20
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Old 01-03-2014, 12:49 AM   #18
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
another thing to consider is that just because a part is new doesn't mean it won't go bad...with both the starter and alternator on my dad's 97 chevy we replaced the original after over 200k miles of use and both had to be replaced again within 2 weeks of replacement because of faulty parts...starter was from napa and alternator was from orielly's
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:23 AM   #19
03Alerosil
GL Member

Yes thats true. I know the alt wont just die on me one day. just thought about replacing it while I have money being i am unemployed and will have the money to do it. I figure it's cheap insurance being I am putting added stress on it. I can tell you though when I had it off to do my lower intake gasket it sounded a little dry and spun very easy.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:55 AM   #20
RalphP
GX Member

RalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond repute
Here's a contrary view - talk to a local rebuilder, preferably one that that's been around since the 1950's or so (like the one I use), and see how beefy they can make one to fit your car.

Then buy one from them, or pick up a core unit from the boneyard and take that in for them to rebuild.

RwP
RalphP is offline   Reply With Quote