Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 03-08-2010, 04:19 PM   #21
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyballs_69 View Post
I saw one on Amazon.com for a little over $15 shipped. I think I payed around $50 for mine when they first came out.

That might be the real reason nobody mentioned them. Nobody discovered that they don't cost that much anymore. If I had to pay $50 for it, id's pass.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:53 AM   #22
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
That, and the tool would be more useful if it prevented me from buying a torque wrench just for this job. I don't already have one that does the inch pounds, and even the Harbor Freight one costs $30
Old 03-09-2010, 03:06 PM   #23
zzyzzx
GLS member

Unless I'm interpreting this picture wrong, here is someone doing it with the valve covers on (3800 engine though).
Old 03-09-2010, 06:08 PM   #24
TheThickster
GX Member

TheThickster is on a distinguished road
i replaced the head gaskets last year on my old 3.4 and never need that tool.
TheThickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:18 PM   #25
mbeals
GX Member

mbeals is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzyzzx View Post
That, and the tool would be more useful if it prevented me from buying a torque wrench just for this job. I don't already have one that does the inch pounds, and even the Harbor Freight one costs $30

Yea, but a good inch pound wrench is one of those tools that is really nice to have on hand. In this case, I think I would rather spend $100 on a good inch pound wrench than $30 on a tool I'm going to use for 10 minutes, one time.
mbeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:47 PM   #26
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to rustyballs_69
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzyzzx View Post

Unless I'm interpreting this picture wrong, here is someone doing it with the valve covers on (3800 engine though).

The valve covers on the 3.8 don't overlap onto the lower intake manifold like they do on the 3.4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThickster View Post
i replaced the head gaskets last year on my old 3.4 and never need that tool.

You don't need the tool to do the job, it just makes it a little easyer.
rustyballs_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:27 AM   #27
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
Ugh... 3800... nice balance shaft LOL.

This is how a 3400 is...

2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:16 AM   #28
zzyzzx
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeals View Post
Yea, but a good inch pound wrench is one of those tools that is really nice to have on hand. In this case, I think I would rather spend $100 on a good inch pound wrench than $30 on a tool I'm going to use for 10 minutes, one time.

I haven't decided on which torque wrench to buy. I have a regular 1/2" socket HF torque wrench I use for lug nuts, and it's perfectly fine for that. For something like this, that's a different story.

I'm also looking to buy a serpentine belt tool as well.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:02 AM   #29
zzyzzx
GLS member

They don't make this tool any more! It's been replaced by this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-48300-Pu...dp/B00DBMLY8G/
http://www.lislecorp.com/divisions/p...s/?product=632

Lisle 48300 Push Rod Remover
Redesigned for Newer 3.5L and 3.6L GM Engines. Also Works on GM V6 2.8L, 3.1L and 3.4L.

Quickly removes push rods so you can replace the intake gasket. No need to loosen and retighten the rocker arm. The tool pivots the rocker arm to compress the valve spring and free the push rod for removal.