Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 10-07-2014, 09:36 PM   #1
babeba67
GX Member

babeba67 is on a distinguished road
2002 Strut and spring question..

I just bought a 2002 (3.4L) with 132,000. The ride seems pretty rough to me and I'm wondering what the life span of the struts and springs are on these vehicles.

If I replace the struts I will not be "dropping" or modifying in any way. Using this car for a highway commuter about 150 highway daily, so I'm looking for as close to stock or whatever gives a smooth ride with decent handling.

Should I also replace the springs? What is the telltale signs they are bad?

Thanks for the input!
babeba67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:47 PM   #2
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by babeba67 View Post
I just bought a 2002 (3.4L) with 132,000. The ride seems pretty rough to me and I'm wondering what the life span of the struts and springs are on these vehicles.

If I replace the struts I will not be "dropping" or modifying in any way. Using this car for a highway commuter about 150 highway daily, so I'm looking for as close to stock or whatever gives a smooth ride with decent handling.

Should I also replace the springs? What is the telltale signs they are bad?

Thanks for the input!

If you arent lowering or anything might be easiest with a quick strut which will include the spring.
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 02:33 AM   #3
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
Monroe quick struts are your friend here! Common problem will with n-bodys is our strut mounts will go out. Like mine, they will pop and creak as you turn. Its good to replace them. Monroe makes good stuff, the quick struts are easy, and have everything there instead of piecing it all together. My first alero had around 200,000 on it and the factory suspension seemed to be slowly loosing its ride quality. This one is about the same miles, stock suspension is gone, toast in the front. happy modding
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:38 AM   #4
03Alerosil
GL Member

03Alerosil is on a distinguished road
I second the Monroe quick struts. They have the strut, spring, and mount all in one so no spring compressor is needed. Makes strut replacement very easy. Wish I could afford some for my alero but my factory stuff seems to be holding out.
03Alerosil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 03:28 PM   #5
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Alerosil View Post
I second the Monroe quick struts. They have the strut, spring, and mount all in one so no spring compressor is needed. Makes strut replacement very easy. Wish I could afford some for my alero but my factory stuff seems to be holding out.

depending on how the car's life has been the factory suspension can be great. n-bodys were loved for their ride and handling, people just dont see it anymore
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:28 PM   #6
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Struts should be changed at 50,000 miles, so at 132,000 you should be ready for the 3rd set by now.

Personally, I don't care of Monroe. I run KYB's on both my Oldsmobiles. The G/F's Focus will soon run them and the Volvo will too next year.

KYB GR2 is a OE quality shock, so it's not like a major upgrade. They will work fine with stock springs

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 10:10 PM   #7
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
I dont change them every 50k lol my stocks ran on the car till like 180k

Still felt okay, and never had un even tire wear.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 02:48 PM   #8
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Rad17 View Post
Monroe quick struts are your friend here! Common problem will with n-bodys is our strut mounts will go out. Like mine, they will pop and creak as you turn. Its good to replace them. Monroe makes good stuff, the quick struts are easy, and have everything there instead of piecing it all together.

I agree with the above statement. Another reason not to reuse strut mounts is that I have had strut mounts rust out later after only replacing just the strut:

zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote