Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Alero Appearance

Old 09-21-2008, 06:07 PM   #1
Valley olds
GLS member

Valley olds is an unknown quantity at this point
Removing paint overspray

Hey everyone, I recently had my taillights smoked without removing them , and yesterday at night I noticed that my whole car feels less smooth. My windows also now have a lot of very tiny paint specks. Anyone know how to remove them? The clay bar claims to remove overspray. Anyone ever try this? On the actual body of the car, the specks are not very visible, but when I feel it with my hand, it feels like sandpaper or something.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:19 PM   #2
meadus101
Hot and Fluffy.

meadus101 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to meadus101
Slap yourself for not removing your tails.

I have no idea about a clay bar though.
meadus101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 06:45 PM   #3
jayson_waltz
GLS member

jayson_waltz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jayson_waltz
1. you're not a very smart guy for doing them on the car.
2. try the clay bar. it that doesn't work, i dunno. you can't really remove paint off of paint cause everything that would take it off would take your car paint off.
jayson_waltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 07:09 PM   #4
DansGen1Alero
GL Member

DansGen1Alero is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to DansGen1Alero Send a message via Yahoo to DansGen1Alero Send a message via Skype™ to DansGen1Alero
wow, thats a bitch, I one time got rubber undercoating on my rear end. I was using it as a sound dapening, and it not only leaked out the back panel but oversparyed over the tails and the rear fenders. over time I picked at it and over time most came off. I can suggest maybe goo gone, goo off, or something like that, but if you do after you are done take a wet rag or rag with soap and wash the area, You dont want to let it sit for a while as it may eat the paint too. Simple green degreaser may too but again its strong and you dont want to let it sit on the paint.

Or you can wetsand and buff, or buff it with a rubbing compound. I am not familair with the tinting pain you use, but there may be some direction with it for taking care of overspray. good luck

DISCLAIMER: I can not be held liable if you use a degreaser on your paint and let it sit on the car for a period of time. I will further inform you that I will not pay for a new paint job.

"Vinyl belongs on the side of a house not on a car"

Last edited by DansGen1Alero : 09-21-2008 at 07:11 PM.
DansGen1Alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 07:09 PM   #5
misslindseysue
MINIac

misslindseysue is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to misslindseysue
Yeah, claybar should take it off. Works on glass, too. Just keep at it'll till it feels smooth again. You'll have to be careful to keep folding and kneading the clay to expose a "clean" surface if your paint is that bad (which I'm sure it is if you've never clayed the car).
Old 09-21-2008, 07:27 PM   #6
YALEROYNOT
GLS member

YALEROYNOT is on a distinguished road
WD-40 works great for that and tar and sap and other kinda stuff that you cant get off.

build it to break it, if it breaks it was not built well enuff !
=OFF ALL NARCOTICS ADDICTION FREE PAIN MANAGEMENT FTMFW ."million of years ago the continents were connected...." THATS FUNNY THE EARTH IS ONLY ABOUT 6000 YEARS OLD AND THEY STILL ARE CONNECTED JACK*@# !!! click here www.chronicpainanonymous.org
YALEROYNOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:31 PM   #7
meadus101
Hot and Fluffy.

meadus101 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to meadus101
^ Heard that before, Give your car a go with WD-40 before washing it to get the bugs off.
meadus101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:52 PM   #8
02AleroEco
GL Member

02AleroEco is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 02AleroEco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley olds View Post
Hey everyone, I recently had my taillights smoked without removing them , and yesterday at night I noticed that my whole car feels less smooth. My windows also now have a lot of very tiny paint specks. Anyone know how to remove them? The clay bar claims to remove overspray. Anyone ever try this? On the actual body of the car, the specks are not very visible, but when I feel it with my hand, it feels like sandpaper or something.

idk bout the body. but for the windows i used goo be gone, and then used like windex, or a window cleaner, and that got rid of the greesy feeling from the GBG
02AleroEco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:37 PM   #9
bdyman
GLS member

bdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond repute
dude must have forgotten to plug his brain in before he did this
window cleaner and 0000 steel wool, for the glass, the clay bar you buy in the store wont take it off, go to your body shop supplier and ask for the body shop grade clay bar
if that dont work your gonna have to buff it off
bdyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 10:25 PM   #10
Valley olds
GLS member

I didnt do this. I sent it to a paint shop this Saturday and they effed it up . Im going to complain, but I doubt they will do anything about it. Anyways, I guess Ill try the body shop grade clay bar for the body of the car. Compund is going to be a last resort for me though, cus I want to leave as much of the original paint as possible. Hopefully I wont need to send it to get buffed.

Quote:
02AleroEco: idk bout the body. but for the windows i used goo be gone, and then used like windex, or a window cleaner, and that got rid of the greesy feeling from the GBG

What problem did the GBG fix in your car? If that fixed the same problem as mine Ill try that for the windows. If that doesn't work, the steel wool is coming out.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:42 PM   #11
misslindseysue
MINIac

misslindseysue is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to misslindseysue
Buffing shouldn't take paint off. If you use a 'body shop grade' clay bar you're going to have to buff it anyway to get rid of all the little scratches that'll leave you with. Something like Scratch-X is a decent alternative if you have a lot of muscles and time. In any case you'll have to wax/polish after you scrub all your protectant off. As a matter of fact, a good wash with Dawn (yes, dish soap) will help you to that end and might get some of the crap off if you had a layer of wax on. But that will take wax off, so be sure to but more on.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:09 PM   #12
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
how the eff did they get overspray on your windows by painting your taillights

go punch whoever did it because they FAILED
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 11:15 PM   #13
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
wow...sounds like a macco job...
Old 09-22-2008, 08:40 AM   #14
DansGen1Alero
GL Member

DansGen1Alero is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to DansGen1Alero Send a message via Yahoo to DansGen1Alero Send a message via Skype™ to DansGen1Alero
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
how the eff did they get overspray on your windows by painting your taillights

go punch whoever did it because they FAILED

If it was like a spray paint and the wind was blowing
that would explain it

"Vinyl belongs on the side of a house not on a car"
DansGen1Alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:27 AM   #15
spinalator
GX Member

spinalator is on a distinguished road
If a shop did this, I think a shop should be fixing it, or get a refund.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:03 AM   #16
Fi-Alero
GL Member

Fi-Alero is on a distinguished road
0000 steel wool can get it off the glass. Should be available at your local auto parts store.

Clay bar can get it off the body of the car with a little elbow grease and time.
Fi-Alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:35 AM   #17
AGT
GLS member

AGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond repute
3M adhesive and wax remover will remove uncured paint.

Have a good day
AGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:41 AM   #18
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
I was also going to suggest clay bar. That and keeping wax on your car so if something like this happens again it will come off easily.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 06:50 PM   #19
Valley olds
GLS member

Ye Ye-y

Well, I went to the shop today, and the guy said that they'd fix it . They told me tomorrow they'd do the windows and Saturday (only day Ive got available), they'd do the car. Hopefully, from here forward, Ill find time to wax my car more often. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:10 PM   #20
02AleroEco
GL Member

02AleroEco is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 02AleroEco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley olds View Post
I didnt do this. I sent it to a paint shop this Saturday and they effed it up . Im going to complain, but I doubt they will do anything about it. Anyways, I guess Ill try the body shop grade clay bar for the body of the car. Compund is going to be a last resort for me though, cus I want to leave as much of the original paint as possible. Hopefully I wont need to send it to get buffed.

What problem did the GBG fix in your car? If that fixed the same problem as mine Ill try that for the windows. If that doesn't work, the steel wool is coming out.

it was like lip stick ,that some chick put on my window, that like froze cuz it was cold out.. lol its kinda like paint.

but its worth a shit for ur issue, not like its gonna damage anything.. i used it on paint to remove my pin stripes and nothing happen.
02AleroEco is offline   Reply With Quote