Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 03-09-2004, 02:03 PM   #1
Zerocool

Just as an FYI. I was having problems with my '01 3.4L having high idle, holding shifts, throwing codes, things like that. I got the codes read even though I was already pretty sure what it was. Sure enough it was the TPS. Since your trans and everything is all electronic and linked together they all effect eachother. I took off my old TPS and the center was obviously loose. Put on the new one and it was like having a newer car, faster response to pressing the accelerator was the really noticable change. Sorry if this is a repeat from anywhere, but figured it could help someone. Oh yeah, and my poor baby has 108,000 miles on her too.

Lata,
Zero
Old 03-09-2004, 02:51 PM   #2
alerosport.com

Throttle Position Sensor... really i was having problems with my 99 3.4 took it to autozone to have them scan it real quick and they told me the problem was most likely the MAF sensor in the throtle body which was $99 plus 40 for the core... so he so i cleaned it all out and it has been shifting right and the idling is not jumping all over. But it may have something to do with the TPS also... how much was a new one, and part number?
Old 03-10-2004, 07:39 PM   #3
Zerocool

Sorry for the delay. It was $30 at my good 'ol local Autozone. I forget the part #, but they can look it right up there. If you want to check it out it's mounted to the back side of the throttle body. 2 Hex bolts and it comes right off. Check the center, where it turns, and see if it seems loose at all. Mine was very loose, got the new one and it was tight in there. That was my problem. Autozone will also test the sensor itself if you take it in there. Hope this helps.

Zero
Old 03-10-2004, 08:21 PM   #4
alerosport.com

Thanks for the help man
Old 03-10-2004, 08:21 PM   #5
alerosport.com

ill see if iits loose
Old 03-22-2004, 05:08 PM   #6
knucklehead

Hi guys, new guy here~
Just went through some of the threads and found some great info. I didn't know there was a forum for Alero owners .
I have a '99 3.4 and I seem to have a problem similar to what you guys are describing.
Yesterday morning I started the car and it immediately went to a 2,000 rpm idle and stayed there. I gassed it up a couple of times trying to knock-it down. It didn't work.
As I put the car on drive I could feel the car surging forward without gassing it letting me know that the high idle condition was still there. issed:
This morning I started my car and it went to a normal idle. WTF is going on?
Could this be the TPS? As my screen name will tell you, I'm not very mechanicly inclined...can you guys tell me how to find the throttle body? How about the TPS?
Thanks in advance for any help you can give! :thumbsup:
Old 03-29-2004, 04:56 PM   #7
knucklehead

Hey guys,

Went out to my local auto parts store ~ Pep-Boys~ and got a TPS for $29.22 out the door.
Thanks to your info and pictures of where to locate the sensor, I was able to do it within 20 minutes! :thumbsup: Car's running great now.
You fellas save me a few $$$.
Thanks again.