Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 06-18-2009, 06:20 PM   #1
antichrysler
GLS member

antichrysler is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to antichrysler
Opinions on Insurance Tire Replacement

Wondering if anyone has any opinions on this.

Here's the problem: About a month ago some chick backed in to my car, banged up the drivers front/rear door, door jamb area of rear door, and back rim. I got a call from the bodyshop today telling me that insurance has decided since my tire was involved in the accident they want to replace it; but just the one tire.

I've never heard of anybody replacing just one tire, especially if all the other ones are at 5/32 tread. The weather here is pretty crazy and we get lots of snow/ice in the winter. Is replacing one tire even safe to do? Has anybody had any experience with a situation like this getting insurance to kick in to at least do a pair? I'm really on the fence about just buying the other tires and replacing all 4, but I'm not at fault in this accident and her insurance is paying for all of it. The other thing that annoys me too is that they want me to pay $61 of the new tire, has anyone ever heard of insurance doing that?

Edit: Before anyone asks, she wasn't hot, she wasn't bad either, but she was too old for me.
antichrysler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:39 PM   #2
CactusWill
GLS member

CactusWill is on a distinguished road
They're doing what makes sense for them, not what makes sense for you. I'd tell them to send you a check for the tire portion, and you'll buy the tires yourself.
CactusWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:18 AM   #3
doubleN0alero
They call me 8 point!!

doubleN0alero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to doubleN0alero Send a message via Yahoo to doubleN0alero
You can get them to do that...I wouldn't short change on tires, regardless of the weather...snow and ice makes it worse, but I still wouldn't mess around.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:25 AM   #4
antichrysler
GLS member

Well that's more or less where I'm coming from. The issue is that insurance works a bit differently up here than down there. There's only one insurance company for my province and everyone is insured by them. I've never heard of them just giving cash in exchange for damages, the way it's always gone is they pay the shop directly.

I don't want to short change on tires, I never have.

I'm just wondering if it's a common thing for insurance to do one tire, and if they decide to how safe it is going to be. If there's something you can say or do to get them to pay for 2 or 4 tires that would really help me out.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:23 AM   #5
Kilroy
GL Member

Kilroy is on a distinguished road
I lived in Saskatchewan before, and they will only cover what got damaged. If only one tire got damaged, then that is all you will get. ALSO.... if the tire had only half the tread left, they will replace it with a new tire, and you will have to pay 50% of a new tire. Sucks I know, but such is life.
Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 05:30 AM   #6
colonel6632
Premier V.I.P. Member

colonel6632 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to colonel6632
i've heard of sgi doing that... my dads truck was two tone... dark brown on top light brown on bottem half... light brown got keyed... so they would only pay to repaint the bottom half of the truck... its just retarded

2005 Silverado 2500HD w/ 6.0l Vortec 4L80E
Tuned 6.0l, exhaust, intake, with 450000km on the odometer. Tow Rig

1985 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/ 5.7 Vortec 700r4
mild vortec 350 with 4 speed auto. performance suspension. factory gold color. project car
colonel6632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:33 AM   #7
antichrysler
GLS member

Hmm..... well I'll see what I can get out of them. I might just keep the damaged tire. I don't want mismatched tires everywhere.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:53 AM   #8
colonel6632
Premier V.I.P. Member

colonel6632 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to colonel6632
i have mismatched tires on front and back... my dad has for the last 40 years... he keeps the pairs on the front and the other pair on the back. Its a RWD so he buys fresh ones for the back... then puts the half wore ones on the front.

not sure if that helps ya

2005 Silverado 2500HD w/ 6.0l Vortec 4L80E
Tuned 6.0l, exhaust, intake, with 450000km on the odometer. Tow Rig

1985 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/ 5.7 Vortec 700r4
mild vortec 350 with 4 speed auto. performance suspension. factory gold color. project car
colonel6632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:13 PM   #9
broken__one
GX Member

broken__one is on a distinguished road
Yes it is common for inserance com. to do that. they only replace damaged peaces and if they are a wearable item they only pay part of the price. if your tire was new when it was hit they would pay full price. it happens all the time, and most people don't know about it. they will give you a check for the amout they would pay for the tire, and you then should replace at least two tires.
broken__one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:44 PM   #10
antichrysler
GLS member

well this is just bunk, i'm going to ask them for a cheque and just drive on this tire, they said themselves they can't find anything wrong with it insurance just says it's a liability since it was hit
Old 06-19-2009, 07:30 PM   #11
jayson_waltz
GLS member

jayson_waltz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jayson_waltz
if they give you a check just for the tire price go for it. but if not i'd let the buy the tire, and then buy 3 to match it.
jayson_waltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 05:35 AM   #12
doubleN0alero
They call me 8 point!!

doubleN0alero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to doubleN0alero Send a message via Yahoo to doubleN0alero
I'm sure they will let you pay the difference if you want to put on a better tire. If they're only putting 1 on, then after you leave the body shop, go to the tire shop and get 3 more.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:16 AM   #13
antichrysler
GLS member

Any recommendation on a good set of 17's? The tire size is 205/50R17. Right now it's got BF Goodrich Traction TA

I was contemplating getting new rims and tires but since they're re-finishing the stockers I can't justify replacing them.
Old 06-20-2009, 02:25 PM   #14
AleroDrime
The Aleromod PITA

AleroDrime has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to AleroDrime Send a message via MSN to AleroDrime
you asked for opinions on this so heres my 2 cents

if your asking because you think you could get somthing out of having a mileage warranty on tires, you sol give up and if there a set cheaper w/o one get them

if you mean a protection warranty i dunno, never needed one
AleroDrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 02:26 PM   #15
AleroDrime
The Aleromod PITA

AleroDrime has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to AleroDrime Send a message via MSN to AleroDrime
Quote:
Originally Posted by antichrysler View Post
Any recommendation on a good set of 17's? The tire size is 205/50R17. Right now it's got BF Goodrich Traction TA

I was contemplating getting new rims and tires but since they're re-finishing the stockers I can't justify replacing them.

try kuhmo or Gillette tires, ive always had good luck with this and very affordable
AleroDrime is offline   Reply With Quote