Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 01-21-2009, 10:10 PM   #41
jrim
GL Member

jrim is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to jrim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan from Ohio View Post
Well to keep things on the up and up around here, I was talking with him about doing his install- at his place.

I priced him $170 for the install. You can see the equipment prices he was looking at/picking with my recommendations. Not sure what he was doing with a head unit choice though...

But comps/speakers : $220+ ship
Amps: $129 shipped
Wiring: $50 + ship
Install: $170
Head Unit (Im gonna guess here $200
So ~$200 less than having Car Tunes do it. For a 1 year warranty on the amp/speakers and a 3 year on the deck, including THEFT warranty, I think it holds true here, as you said earlier in the thread: you get what you pay for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan from Ohio View Post
The cold hard truth is Car Tunes like any other place will almost undoubtedly take short cuts through out the install process. I warned him about that in my PM. From using cheap/inferior crimps to the twist and tape method on the head units. Hacking into factory wiring instead of running new wires. Surface mounting the tweeters in an odd fashion.

I can almost guarantee you they will want to mount the tweeters "onto" the A Pillars. They wont take the time to mod the sails- which is where its at.

But meh, he will see it. I wish him luck. And the best advice I can give you is to stay there and observe if possible. They probably wont allow you though but push the subject if they want the sale. When the customer isnt watching places take short cuts. It happens ALL the time. Make sure they solder the head units connections, run new speaker wires and flush mount the tweeters. Also make sure they put the tweeters on about a 5 degree angle into the cabin, slightly angled downward. This will provide the best off axis response. If they try to aim the tweeters at your head- you will want to kill these people.

Also take note that when/if you have a problem they will want to sell you a "fix" and not fix the underlying problem.

Classic brick and mortar car audio tactics.

Been there and done that in my years of experience.

It remains to be seen... hypothesizing is the easy part, now let's see what they do eh?
Yeah, I wouldn't mind observing.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:29 AM   #42
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Ryan from Ohio will become famous soon enough
Thats the user side, misuse.

Usually thats not covered by warranty anyhow. Sure they might remove and reinstall it, but once they take the speaker and inspect it and deem the issue misuse- you will have to pay a certain amount.

I hear their commercials on the radio. No experience with them. But almost all of these places are the same.

I would watch them like a hawk.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:26 AM   #43
jrim
GL Member

jrim is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to jrim
Will do. Oh I forgot to add that they offer a lifetime warranty on their labor, so I doubt they would wire it up funky if it's going to fail down the road due to half-assing but, as they say, when you assume, you make an ass of you and me lol
Old 01-22-2009, 12:51 PM   #44
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Ryan from Ohio will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrim View Post
So ~$200 less than having Car Tunes do it. For a 1 year warranty on the amp/speakers and a 3 year on the deck, including THEFT warranty, I think it holds true here, as you said earlier in the thread: you get what you pay for.

It remains to be seen... hypothesizing is the easy part, now let's see what they do eh?
Yeah, I wouldn't mind observing.

Whats this theft warranty?

If someone breaks into your car to steal the gear they replace it for you?

If so thats a good deal! Most insurers wont insure anything than factory audio anymore unless you purchase extra insurance!