Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 05-14-2010, 11:15 AM   #1
negolien
GL Member

negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien
mtx sale should I?

Hey all,

Frys here having a sale for MTX 12's wondering if I should. I wonder if they will fit any thoughts?

http://www.frys.com/product/6251100?site=sa:Car Electronics Pod:Pod3 I was gonna go with the

http://www.frys.com/product/5877503 or

http://www.frys.com/product/6147029?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG
negolien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:16 AM   #2
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
i'd see if ryan could beat the price, first. (ryanfromohio)
Old 05-14-2010, 11:50 AM   #3
HazMatt24
GLS member

HazMatt24 is on a distinguished road
$150 for the dual 12" enclosure isn't bad although I wouldn't get either one of those amps. I'm not exactly rah rah about MTX, but I don't dislike them either and I would buy them probably over anything other than Alpine, JL, or Rockford. (Rockford and MTX are both local companies here so I like to support the local guys) I used to have a pair of 8" MTX Road Thunders in a box behind the seat of a Nissan Hard Body standard cab and they would hit real nice.
1994 Chevy Suburban aka The Zombie Mower 4" Rancho suspension lift 2" body lift. 315/75/16 Mickey Thompson Radial M/Ts 10000K HID 12" JL W3 Subs in custom box 1000W Alpine mono amp 1F capacitor 6.5" JL mids 4X6 Pioneers in dash 450W Alpine 4 channel Dynomax cat & exhaust
2007 Cadillac Escalade EXT chameleon paint, Cadillac 22" wheels

Last edited by HazMatt24 : 05-14-2010 at 11:53 AM.
HazMatt24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 01:31 PM   #4
negolien
GL Member

negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien
subs

Thanks bud size is 19x16x32 more or less think it will fit in trunk. I own a sedan.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:10 PM   #5
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Ryan from Ohio will become famous soon enough
The one local store up here (kinda a homegrown big box store) is selling the MTX Jachammer 12s, in box w/amp for $300

If you are willing to make your own subwoofer box then I can not only provide you a better deal but better equipment.

in the end you will come out with a system way better than that stuff...
Old 05-14-2010, 02:21 PM   #6
JLw7123
i speed up for corners

JLw7123 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JLw7123 Send a message via Yahoo to JLw7123 Send a message via Skype™ to JLw7123
ya that is the package that I got but I bought the subs at circuit city when they were closing and I paid 200 bucks.
1999 auburn mist metallic gls sedan R.I.P
2005 Subaru legacy 2.5i 190k. New rims and tires for summer.
JLw7123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 03:00 PM   #7
negolien
GL Member

subs

Naw I don't make anything or install anything myself anymore. They have these aslo but I assumed the 1st ones were better. and to guy below you which package were you refering to?

http://www.frys.com/product/6147419
Old 05-14-2010, 03:41 PM   #8
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

I could do this for $200

http://americanbassusa.com/front/sho...spx?fileid=129

http://americanbassusa.com/front/sho...aspx?fileid=91

Amp is $175

$375 and it will outpound that MTX crap.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:13 PM   #9
MattismodderX
GLS member

MattismodderX is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MattismodderX
thats a good deal on that crunch amp tho. my mb quart 1000.1 discus costs 180 new
Old 05-15-2010, 01:31 AM   #10
negolien
GL Member

sub

Thanks Matt anyone got a box close to the size I described in the sedan?
Old 05-15-2010, 05:42 PM   #11
negolien
GL Member

Hey JLw7123,

I went today and got the terminator package cause the guy said it would be 250 bucks less. It turned out to be only 150 bucks less and the amp is the tna251 which seems like it would under power those subs quite a bit. They are 200 - 400 rms and the amps 250. You said you had that package did you mean the jackhammer 12s? I was gonna get those with that MTX 600 rms at 2 ohms amp still might since the install isn't until Tuesday. I don't need ground shattering bass and don't listen to rap except maybe some matisyahu. Could you send me an email or reply to this and let me know what package you meant and what amp ur using please.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:22 PM   #12
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Thats horrible they sell it that way...

250 WRMS output from the amp... The speakers are 600 WRMS between them. Thats way underpowered.

Thats ok though. People will crank the gains up, clip the piss out of amps and fry their gear.

The problem is subs are cheap, power is more expensive. You gotta buy within your budget and plan accordingly.

But hey, what do I know. I dont think you have listened to one piece of advice Ive ever given you.

Even if you dont buy it from me due to shipping, look locally.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:07 PM   #13
negolien
GL Member

subs

Pardon the flame but I think it's the other way around. All my questions have been fairly straight forward choices. Instead of providing an easy yes one choice is better than the other you try to sell me something. Just like the Sound Stream SST6.9s which turned out to be fine and not only cost me very little to buy and have installed but sound good for my needs.

I have limited funds and don't want to mess with installs. I looked around for sales and for my price range I had two options. Either the terminator that came with an amp or the Jack hammer with the MTX JH600. I' am also having a pager alarm installed which + the subs have really maxed out my $$ thus making me a bit stingy.

The question was of the TWO choices which was better in your opinion. Look I DO appreciate the opinions and I DO listen. In the end I'm left with two choices that fit my needs one was being 45% under powered the other was to spend yet another 150-200 bucks I don't really have and get something that's 20% over powered. To be honest If I had been paying more attention and saw that they were 200-400 rms and the amp was only 200 I would have gotten the other and risked over powering them and blowing em up.

Last edited by negolien : 05-16-2010 at 02:08 PM. Reason: spell check
Old 05-16-2010, 02:13 PM   #14
heineck
A-mod Pirate

heineck will become famous soon enoughheineck will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to heineck
its easier to blow a speaker if its underpowered than if its over
heineck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 02:17 PM   #15
negolien
GL Member

Ya was thinking same thanks bud.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:58 PM   #16
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Actually thats a myth.

What happens is to compensate for lack of power people try to exceed the amplifiers capabilities. The clipping of the amp sends straight DC to the speakers, which heat the coils instantly causing them to blow.

And yes of course I offer to sell it to you. You could of also looked up a local dealer and bought from them.

Sure those speakers probably sound good to you. Put them up against a good quality speaker then al the sudden they wont sound as good.

Thats the point Im trying to drive home. Ive got many years invested into this hobby.

But hey, you get to listen to it. So if its good enough for you, fine and dandy then.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:04 PM   #17
heineck
A-mod Pirate

heineck will become famous soon enoughheineck will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to heineck
o, wat i was told is that if u have an amp thats underpowered u cant do anything to boost it, whereas if u have one thats overpowered u can turn down the gain.. but RFO is the audio guru on here so w/e he says i listen to
heineck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:30 AM   #18
negolien
GL Member

Done. I got everything installed last tuesday. I got the kenwood 500 rms@2ohms monoblock for 199 and the MTX Jackhammers for 150. I also got a Clifford matrix 2 way for 249 installed. Everything runs good hits hard No issues. Thanks for all the input from everyone.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:43 PM   #19
Cashdollar2009
GL Member

Cashdollar2009 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan from Ohio View Post
Actually thats a myth.

What happens is to compensate for lack of power people try to exceed the amplifiers capabilities. The clipping of the amp sends straight DC to the speakers, which heat the coils instantly causing them to blow.

And yes of course I offer to sell it to you. You could of also looked up a local dealer and bought from them.

Sure those speakers probably sound good to you. Put them up against a good quality speaker then al the sudden they wont sound as good.

Thats the point Im trying to drive home. Ive got many years invested into this hobby.

But hey, you get to listen to it. So if its good enough for you, fine and dandy then.

This equals truth. And I feel the same on the "friendly advice" part. :/
Old 05-23-2010, 04:45 PM   #20
Cashdollar2009
GL Member

Cashdollar2009 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by negolien View Post
Everything runs good hits hard

With this said, what has your biggest system consisted of? Not raggin on your buy, but for the money, whether ryan helps you out or you ebay the shit out of it, I think you could have been a bit more satisfied going another route...