Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Main Forums > Aleromod.com Showcase

Old 07-31-2023, 05:19 PM   #261
dbral
GX Member

dbral is on a distinguished road
Oh no........ Have you heard anything from the shop yet?
Old 07-31-2023, 05:33 PM   #262
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Turns out it's just a fuse supposedly in the engine bay. I checked every fuse I was able to find in the bay. Will find out where this thing was when I pick it up tomorrow.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 03:11 PM   #263
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Whoops, it's not just the fuse. They took it for a test drive and the fuel pump stopped and/or pressure was lost. So still investigating.
Old 08-02-2023, 12:59 PM   #264
[ion] C2
636 whp

They found a wire that was shorting, so now it's fixed lol.

Finally getting good rolling shots and video Aug 13.
Old 08-02-2023, 06:07 PM   #265
dbral
GX Member

Awesome to hear man! Looking forward to the videos and pics. Hope you are having fun with it.....finally. Been a long road
Old 08-03-2023, 11:58 AM   #266
[ion] C2
636 whp

Nooooo! I knew something was up when I first turned the car on leaving the shop it revved to like 2500 before calming down, and made a ticking sound, and seemed to misfire a little. I noticed the RPMs would hang high around 1800 when coasting, even when sitting still which is when it should drop to idle. Cracked runner. That happened on my old very thin tubing manifold, didn't think it would happen on this beefy one. There's just a lot of vibration on this engine and when you have a heavy plenum hanging off it that's a lot of force constantly flexing at this joint. The new one might need some bracing like GM did with the supercharger manifold. There's a couple large screw holes in the block to the left and right of the oil filter, could add some bracing so there's less flex happening.

Old 08-03-2023, 10:56 PM   #267
dbral
GX Member

DAMMIT! Nice catch though. X2 for your idea on bracing

The BMR adj. lateral links that homegrown mentioned still appear to be available on their website. They look heavy duty....like absolutely zero flex heavy duty. Nice looking parts too.

Last edited by dbral : 08-03-2023 at 11:06 PM.
dbral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 11:40 AM   #268
[ion] C2
636 whp

Hopefully they can make my new manifold quickly, I've got some appointments coming up and I'm tired of postponing/rescheduling lol. Dying to get badass rolling shots and video. The big issue I've always had with manifolds (including the cracked one that's installed) is that the flange is curved/warped. It's really hard to mount it on a mill for machining. I'm sure clamping it to the head while the flange is warped didn't help the cracking situation, everything being under stress.

Just ordered those BMR links. Probably won't install them til the next chassis though. Their website is so old and poorly configured it doesn't even send you a confirmation email.
Old 08-05-2023, 11:56 PM   #269
dbral
GX Member

Oh man, hope the manifold gets done quickly. Maybe the new one will be flat from the get-go. Would not accept anything less for the money and time you are out. Gotta be a machine shop out there willing to take the challenge if need be. Wonder if cutting reliefs in the flange where there are 2 bolts between runners would help too? Kinda like some exhaust manifolds are made maybe. Voting yes for the braces for sure

Oh no, hope that BMR comes through with those links. They seem reputable. A+ BBB rating with 1 odd complaint over the years. Should be good....
Old 08-10-2023, 09:13 PM   #270
[ion] C2
636 whp

Got the BMR links in. Shop will keep me posted on the manifold, hoping it will be ready tomorrow. It's an easy manifold to make, but the unknown time-consumer is making the custom triangulation brackets.

Also paid for most things to turbo my truck with a GTX3576R probably 6-8 psi to give it a little more oomph without damaging anything. Built engine for it is like $6800 and 6-8 month lead time, will probably do that eventually, but for now just want some spooly noises and more juice to get on the highway and pull our Can-Am.
Old 08-11-2023, 06:35 PM   #271
[ion] C2
636 whp

I have my display sign ready for when I start finally going to car meets around here lol.

Old 08-11-2023, 07:13 PM   #272
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

tw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond repute
That display board is awesome Chris!! I'll be getting something like that make up for when mine is finished.

Misty: 3400, S&S headers, TCE 65mm TB, CAI, 180* TStat, Milzy motor & tranny mount, 18" BOSS 328 & much more... going osv!!
Silver: 2.4L, 5 speed, GAGT seats, front & rear STB's, all red tails, led headlights, Magnaflow muffler, Milzy Motor mount, WAI, Cosmo short shifter; sold n missed
Tequila: 2.4L, GA interior swap, scrapped...
tw0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 09:03 PM   #273
dbral
GX Member

Oh yeah, nice... and love the older Olds logo. Representing the last of the breed and def. worthy of the rocket.

Gonna be some serious WTF expressions at the car show scene lol. Thinking that might be one of the best parts of owning a build like that.

Happy to hear that BMR is an option for hard core lateral links and dang, you got them QUICK

Oh man, just noticed you didn't include maybe the best part on your board....that it is a 2.4. LOL don't open the hood..... No one would guess it. Have people bet on what engine is under there....Are you close to Las Vegas? lol Might win a few bucks, until word got around....

Oh, best of luck with your Toyota project. Owned an 80 4WD and 93 4WD and man, they lacked the power but still think they are the best looking small truck ever

Last edited by dbral : 08-12-2023 at 09:18 PM.
dbral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 12:47 PM   #274
[ion] C2
636 whp

They definitely are. It's a truck I look back at when I park it places and go damn this thing looks good. The headlights I have in it are awesome. It has the 5VZ-FE swapped in and a bunch of upgrades to modernize it.
Old 08-14-2023, 09:46 PM   #275
dbral
GX Member

Nice!!! That makes me miss mine even more. Looked into getting another a few years ago but they were and still are out of my price range. Bought my '93 for 7k in '97. Recently, could not find a decent example under 10k lol

If you get a chance, post about how your truck turns out when you are done with the turbo.
Old 08-14-2023, 10:42 PM   #276
[ion] C2
636 whp

Yeah I used to have the same year/model/trim truck but had to sell it when money was tight. Ended up getting this one hauled over from Florida, cost me $12k. Then I put $36k into repairs and upgrades. The turbo project will cost about $11k. It should be done next month.
Old 08-16-2023, 11:37 PM   #277
dbral
GX Member

Whoa! You are going all out with your truck too. I get it all too well though....

LOL, if i was Jay Leno, i would still have all of his vehicles but would have a wing in the garage added that was dedicated to rare optioned GM FWD manual transmission cars and would drive an '80 Toyota pickup....with a 2jz ...on Thursdays lol
Old 08-18-2023, 01:40 PM   #278
[ion] C2
636 whp

Haha yeah. That would be sweet to have a big garage with cars that you just have a mechanic keep maintained and you just pick one to drive anytime you go out.

New manifold in, with a nice brace underneath. Welded much better than my old one too. When I picked it up it seemed to still have a vacuum leak. Tested today and found a huge one from a hose that was overtightened using a sharp hose clamp. I forgot to tell them that I left a bag of all sorts of smooth high quality clamps in the passenger seat. Replaced it and it's all good now.

Next up, my rescheduled-for-the-3rd-time appointment to button up some electrical items, and finally some photos/videos next weekend!

Old 08-19-2023, 04:53 PM   #279
dbral
GX Member

LOL Yeah Leno has the life.....

Awesome news man and nice find on the vac. leak issue as well. That new mani. looks a lot more compact and clean.

Hope the photo shoot goes down as planned this time
Old 08-22-2023, 09:47 PM   #280
[ion] C2
636 whp

Oops. I cracked my turbo manifold yesterday. When I got it back from the audio shop, I noticed it sounded off, and it didn't build boost as quick as it should. It's from me bucking the engine during tricky takeoffs with this clutch. I kept hearing a clunk, which might have been the turbo hitting the firewall, or the downpipe hitting the subframe.

Whatever hit, it led to cracking one of the runners. Getting that fixed and custom making some transmission mounts over the next week to prevent movement.

When I had the stiff passenger side engine mount installed, it added a ton of fender and interior vibration, but it did make driving easier and kept the engine from moving. I think stiffer transmission-to-subframe mounts will keep it from twisting and be minimal vibration added since it's the subframe mounts versus the passenger side body.