Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 10-09-2004, 12:47 AM   #1
z3pr

Is the "Security" light in the dash suposta stay on ?? What's it for anyways ??
Old 10-09-2004, 09:16 AM   #2
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
It's a passlock system that reads your key to make sure it's the key for that car.

Back in the day, ingtion locks could be punched with a screwdriver or even another key.

This light is comming on while your driving, I assume. Your key is worn down a bit from going in and out of the lock. The key cylinder is having trouble reading your key. Put the key in the lock and see if you can wiggle it. If you can, that's the problem. It's shouldn't move.

The fix is simple, You have to get another key cut for the car. Look for a blank key on eBay, usually go for about $5 (I think they have them at Home Depot too, by the pwoer tools, but I don't know the price) and take it to your Olds dealer and have them cut it.

Mine used to do the same thing, had the blank for a while and then got them cut. They shouldn't chager labor for this, they charge for the key (which they way overprice). Hasn't come on since :thumbsup:

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 10:48 AM   #3
FormulaNERD
GLS member

FormulaNERD is an unknown quantity at this point
or you can call any gm dealer, give them your vin over the phone, and go pick it up... chances are you're gonna get a pontiac key though... heheh.
FormulaNERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 04:33 PM   #4
z3pr

Had a second remote coded for the Alero and they reset the Security Light on the dash. So it doesn't stay on anymore. :thumbsup:
Old 10-14-2004, 04:50 PM   #5
smokinAMD
V.I.P. Member

smokinAMD is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to smokinAMD Send a message via AIM to smokinAMD Send a message via MSN to smokinAMD Send a message via Yahoo to smokinAMD
Quote:
Originally posted by Redog@Oct 9 2004, 07:16 AM
It's a passlock system that reads your key to make sure it's the key for that car.

Back in the day, ingtion locks could be punched with a screwdriver or even another key.

This light is comming on while your driving, I assume. Your key is worn down a bit from going in and out of the lock. The key cylinder is having trouble reading your key. Put the key in the lock and see if you can wiggle it. If you can, that's the problem. It's shouldn't move.

The fix is simple, You have to get another key cut for the car. Look for a blank key on eBay, usually go for about $5 (I think they have them at Home Depot too, by the pwoer tools, but I don't know the price) and take it to your Olds dealer and have them cut it.

Mine used to do the same thing, had the blank for a while and then got them cut. They shouldn't chager labor for this, they charge for the key (which they way overprice). Hasn't come on since :thumbsup:
Not true. Our keys can't be read. I have a generic key that was cut at sears. solid metal, no chip. Works just fine.
smokinAMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 06:38 PM   #6
FormulaNERD
GLS member

FormulaNERD is an unknown quantity at this point
he didnt mean electronically reading it like the newer keys. he meant the tumblers in the lock not reading a certain physical feature of the key, maybe due to being old and worn.

either way, sounds like that wasnt the problem either.
FormulaNERD is offline   Reply With Quote