Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 07-31-2011, 11:06 AM   #1
foxsdaddy67
GX Member

foxsdaddy67 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to foxsdaddy67
fuel pressure regulator

any one had problems with their fuel pressure regulator leaking?
foxsdaddy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:31 AM   #2
MMGT1
GLS member

MMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond repute
Ive seen it many times. If its leaking its toast bud.... time for a new one. Well, one second there.... is it leaking from the diaphram or do you mean the seal to the rail?
Old 07-31-2011, 11:54 AM   #3
foxsdaddy67
GX Member

looks like its leaking where they press the 2 parts together
Old 07-31-2011, 12:07 PM   #4
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
is this a 3400? if it is then make sure the torx-bit screws are tight. if they are i believe there is an o-ring in there that might need replacement. im not familiar with the regulators on the other two engines.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:13 PM   #5
MMGT1
GLS member

MMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond repute
Yea, like graham said, sounds like the o ring has given up on you. Before you pull it off though, check the diaphram in it. Get yourself a piece clear tubing, take the vac line off and attach the hose to it. Suck on the hose and look for fuel in the hose. If you see fuel then the diaphram has a tear or hole in it and should be replaced. If it holds vacuum and no fuel present, just replace that o ring and you should be up and running! A fuel leak there will skew your idle trims horribly and make it run like ass. Fuel mileage will be affected quite a bit with a bad regulator as well man
Old 07-31-2011, 12:19 PM   #6
foxsdaddy67
GX Member

its weird cuz it doesnt do it all the time. its not leaking where it plugs into the fuel rail
Old 07-31-2011, 12:32 PM   #7
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
then i suggest doing what mmgt said. see if there is fuel in the vacuum portion of your regulator.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:55 PM   #8
foxsdaddy67
GX Member

thanks guys!
Old 03-14-2012, 09:12 AM   #9
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
I'm having an issue with mine now and it looks like it is leaking from the top...does this mean I don't have to replace the whole thing or is it possible to fix the upper portion? From this thread it seems that no matter what it has to be taken off.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:02 PM   #10
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

i dont think they are all the expensive. if you go to the length of removing... just install a new one.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:06 PM   #11
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.graham52 View Post
i dont think they are all the expensive. if you go to the length of removing... just install a new one.
Thats kind of what I was getting at...reading above it almost seems like you can replace that part but after reading again that is more just to find out where the leak is coming from which in any case will still warrant a replacement. Looks like Rockauto has them from 33 bucks to 81.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:23 AM   #12
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

Another question...To relieve the pressure on the regulator is it best to pull the fuel pump fuse then start the car until the remaining fuel is burnt up? Wondering how everyone else does it.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:32 AM   #13
MMGT1
GLS member

Remove cap at end of rail, hold rag under valve, put on safety glasses, depress valve and catch fuel with rag.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:02 AM   #14
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMGT1 View Post
Remove cap at end of rail, hold rag under valve, put on safety glasses, depress valve and catch fuel with rag.

after removing relay and running vehicle. it would be cleaner that way. less fuel spill.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:17 AM   #15
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

fuelpressurereg.jpg

Ok, where is the cap located? Because it looks like the regulator is installed on a pipe just under the fuel rail, while the drawing shows that it is installed on the end of the fuel rail.
fuel regulator drw.gif

So far my steps are:
1: Pull fuse\relay
2: Start vehicle until remaining fuel has been burnt out
3: ?
Old 03-15-2012, 10:35 AM   #16
MMGT1
GLS member

gram is right, that is the shop way. But I have to say, there really isnt much that comes out, and I mean very little. in your pic the end of the rail is top right there... you'll see a valve on the end of it. I really dont like running a car dry for fuel anytime, the KR that happens right before it dies is pretty dangerous to me...lol
Old 03-15-2012, 10:45 AM   #17
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMGT1 View Post
gram is right, that is the shop way. But I have to say, there really isnt much that comes out, and I mean very little. in your pic the end of the rail is top right there... you'll see a valve on the end of it. I really dont like running a car dry for fuel anytime, the KR that happens right before it dies is pretty dangerous to me...lol
So if I got you right...then all I need to do is

Pull the fuse, drain the rail, then pop that sucker off and put the new one in? Any kind of lock tight needed? better yet special lock tight or sealant?
Old 03-28-2012, 11:06 AM   #18
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

Those of you that have done this...do you have to pull the fuel rail off inorder to take the FPR off?

...nevermind...I answered my own question...and it is no!