Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 07-22-2010, 01:33 PM   #1
twagn
GX Member

twagn is on a distinguished road
Stuck Thermostat?

Just replaced the water pump. No problem at all went great. Drained a little coolant but really didn't need to. Anyway, start it up and the low coolant light comes on and the temp gauge starts climbing fast...real fast. I think must be low on coolant since I drained some. Check the overflow tank and it's full.

Wasn't having any cooling problem before other than the water pump bearings were shot. Immediately after the repair the thermostat is now stuck?
Old 07-22-2010, 01:34 PM   #2
jayson_waltz
GLS member

jayson_waltz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jayson_waltz
possible you have air in the system also.
jayson_waltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:39 PM   #3
twagn
GX Member

How do you get it out?
Old 07-22-2010, 01:46 PM   #4
lord2heart
GL Member

lord2heart is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to lord2heart Send a message via MSN to lord2heart Send a message via Yahoo to lord2heart
open the cap and let it run and rev it a little. you's see it burping the bubbles out. you'l also will need to put more water in it when it does
lord2heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:06 PM   #5
twagn
GX Member

Thanks, I guess that's the problem, air in the system. I left the coolant tank cap off and ran the engine until it gets too hot then shut it down. It's bubbling pretty good but this may take forever. Is their a faster way of doing this?
Old 07-22-2010, 03:29 PM   #6
lord2heart
GL Member

lord2heart is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to lord2heart Send a message via MSN to lord2heart Send a message via Yahoo to lord2heart
nope, just keep doing that and let the thermo open up till theres no more bubbles coming out. check for leaks also
lord2heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 05:35 AM   #7
twagn
GX Member

Well there is another way to bleed air from the cooling system. On a cool engine, connect one end of a three-foot long ¼ inch diameter clear plastic tube to the bleed screw (it’s near the left side of the front valve cover) and the other end to a container.

Open the bleed screw. Add coolant to the surge tank. Tighten the bleed screw when no more bubbles appear in the tubing and squeeze the upper radiator hose to make sure all remaining air is out.

Run engine until normal operating temperature is reached and add coolant as needed to the correct level. Helps when you read the repair manual a bit more carefully
Old 07-24-2010, 01:29 PM   #8
twagn
GX Member

Thought I'd just add a bit more in case someone does a search on this. The water pump is a piece of cake. The proper way to bleed the air from the cooling system is by using the bleeder screw and my system wouldn't bleed anything when bled the proper way.

The reason was my over flow coolant tank/surge tank whatever you want to call it (some call it a bottle?) was full and I mean full of crud. Looked like a piece of sponge or cotton balls waded together. I'm surprised it was cooling like it was with all that crap in there. Cleaned out the surge tank, filled with coolant, bled the system and all is well.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:32 PM   #9
Chris2000
GL Member

Chris2000 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by twagn View Post
Thought I'd just add a bit more in case someone does a search on this. The water pump is a piece of cake. The proper way to bleed the air from the cooling system is by using the bleeder screw and my system wouldn't bleed anything when bled the proper way.

The reason was my over flow coolant tank/surge tank whatever you want to call it (some call it a bottle?) was full and I mean full of crud. Looked like a piece of sponge or cotton balls waded together. I'm surprised it was cooling like it was with all that crap in there. Cleaned out the surge tank, filled with coolant, bled the system and all is well.

The 3.4 has a bleeder screw. The 2.4 doesn't, so we have to burp it the way lord explained.
Chris2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 02:08 PM   #10
twagn
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris2000 View Post
The 3.4 has a bleeder screw. The 2.4 doesn't, so we have to burp it the way lord explained.

You mean it didn't occur to anyone I was talking about a 3.4