Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 12-14-2009, 09:11 PM   #1
Alerosaint
Gone but not forgotten

Alerosaint is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Alerosaint Send a message via Yahoo to Alerosaint
Vac leak??

Ok guys I need ideas....my cars running real rough at idle sometime cutting out as i apply gas... sounds like its camming off and on. I check the plugs they are good. I have a steady SES light and a trac off light that comes on off randomly.
I dont know what the codes are...I have hptuners but im waiting to get it back to read the codes. My vac guage normally ready -10 thru -9 at idle but im reading between -7 thru -5. Any ideas? Im thinking vac leak but i check every where i know.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:18 PM   #2
mbeals
GX Member

mbeals is on a distinguished road
Check the vac line between the MAP and the TB. It's a tiny little tube.

Mine was almost rotted in half and you couldn't tell without really looking at it. I was having about the same symptoms as you are.
mbeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:13 PM   #3
Vic28
GL Member

Vic28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Vic28
Thats a pretty low vaccum tho.. -20 on mine. Plus a vaccuum leak would make the car rev higher even at idle. Maybe something with the fuel?????
Old 12-14-2009, 11:40 PM   #4
Alerosaint
Gone but not forgotten

not really...my buddy had a pretty big hole in one of his vaccum hoses in his a4 and it was idling real rough and stalling...he patched it And all was good..but i also was wondering about if it was a fuel issue as well...under throttle the car runs great
Old 12-15-2009, 05:24 AM   #5
mbeals
GX Member

When you open up the throttle, you drop the manifold vacuum. At lower vac levels, the hole won't leak as bad, and if it is the MAP line, the manifold vac will start to drop closer to the (incorrect) vac read by the MAP.

The reason I suspect the MAP sensor is that speed density systems typically react well to vac leaks...its just a bigger throttle opening to them. That is unless the MAP is getting the wrong signal, then they drive like crap.

You should notice the problem the most at high vac situations, like accelerating off idle and accelerating after coast down.

Out of curiosity, where are you measuring vacuum?
Old 12-15-2009, 11:24 AM   #6
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
@mbeals: Big leaks don't help produce positive pressure from the supercharger though if the leak is post-rotors.

Sounds like a vacuum leak for sure. Check the tightness on the intake manifold bolts.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:27 AM   #7
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic28 View Post
Thats a pretty low vaccum tho.. -20 on mine. Plus a vaccuum leak would make the car rev higher even at idle. Maybe something with the fuel?????

He's measuring in PSI from the GlowShift boost/vacuum gauge. It reads "negative" PSI, so it's basically half what inHg would be.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:38 PM   #8
Alerosaint
Gone but not forgotten

Yeah im reading from a boost gauge....i dont think its the map....
Old 12-15-2009, 05:55 PM   #9
Vic28
GL Member

Vic28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Vic28
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
He's measuring in PSI from the GlowShift boost/vacuum gauge. It reads "negative" PSI, so it's basically half what inHg would be.
I figured thats where hes reading it from, In GlowShift(like most of them) once is on the vacuum its readings on Hg. Unless when he typed here he converted the numbers to PSI himself. I guess every engine is different obviously. And like you said, if the numbers changed than you leaking some where, just hope its not the motor itself.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:05 PM   #10
mbeals
GX Member

Must have missed the part about it being boosted.

you could always try the starting fluid trick and see if you can track it down.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:25 PM   #11
[ion] C2
636 whp

The easiest way to locate vacuum/boost leaks is to do a boost leak test... hook up pressure to the throttle body. Any performance shop can do it. Listen for hissing.