Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 01-27-2004, 03:38 AM   #1
NoSweat83
I Have ONE NUT

NoSweat83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Where can I find it and how much would it run?
Old 01-27-2004, 08:42 PM   #2
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
goto www.aleroupgrades.com
Old 01-27-2004, 11:12 PM   #3
Grouch

well since AU is down still

It used to be at Drag Evolutions. But for some reason they don't appear to exist at the addy I have for them anymore. So for the moment I'm not sure where this kit is. Oh and it ran for $1,700+ to go from a 2.4L to a 2.6L. For that amount I would save a few more bux and go for the supercharger.

Drags old addy that I have:
http://www.dragevolution2200.com/
Old 01-27-2004, 11:20 PM   #4
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
they made different stages.

but steve if you plan on FI these isn't really recommended.
Old 01-28-2004, 12:28 AM   #5
Sportalero

Quote:
Originally posted by Oldsman@Jan 28 2004, 04:20 AM
if you plan on FI these isn't really recommended.
How come? Is it because the FI component is specially made for the 2.4 system, and placing it on a stroked 2.6 would cause problems? I've thought about doing this myself but wondered if it would cause engine mishaps.
Old 01-28-2004, 01:37 AM   #6
NoSweat83
I Have ONE NUT

No FI :o :unsure: <_< . Ordering 62mm throttle body w/ ported intake from rsm. I was looking farther down the road for more hp. Since the new rims will come in late May and air bags in late summer. :thumbsup:
Old 01-28-2004, 10:29 AM   #7
Oldsman
Owner

from what i have found out is when it is stroked the bottom end isn't as strong.
Old 01-28-2004, 01:55 PM   #8
Sportalero

Quote:
Originally posted by Oldsman@Jan 28 2004, 03:29 PM
from what i have found out is when it is stroked the bottom end isn't as strong.
Well, stroking it is kinda of a waste if it hurts your chances of performance as well as enhancing it (i.e. sacrificing B.E. integrity for better displacement). Is there like a kit to help add strength to the B.E., or custom work????
Old 01-28-2004, 05:15 PM   #9
Oldsman
Owner

for strengthing the bottom end is basically forged pistons, forged rods. If you want to strengthen the crank then have it cyro treated.
Old 01-29-2004, 01:04 AM   #10
Grouch

also the stroker kit raises the compression to 11:1 (if I recall). If you want to go FI, turbo or S/C, you usually want to reduce the compression ratio in order to get more boost out of the FI. Too much compression and the engine go boom. Strengthened bottom end or not.
Old 01-29-2004, 01:45 AM   #11
Final-Reality

Stroking and then Turbo/Supercharging an inline-4 is kind of counter-productive.

Stroking an engine is an easy and relatively inexpensive way to increase the torque of an engine across it's entire power-band. That said, it makes for a generally slower-revving and (and sometimes lower-RPM) engine because the pistons/rods have to travel a longer distance on each stroke. This can be countered however by using lightweight rods and pistons to keep rotating mass low. An example would be using The hypereutectic pistons, which contain more silicon in with the aluminum, to create a lightweight, low-friction piston. While they are lighter they arent as strong as, say heavy duty forged pistons used in boosted applications, so adding boost to this combination is not a good idea.

When boosting an engine, it is a good idea to de-stroke it, to allow for a quicker-revving, quicker-boosting and higher-RPM engine. Instead of relying on a long stroke for torque, you rely on the forced induction to increase the torque, and a shorter stroke for higher RPMs and thus higher horsepower. The de-stroked crank is a good thing when you're adding heavy duty parts like billet steel rods and forged-aluminum pistons to handle the increased cylinder pressures, because it allows the engine to rev (and thus get into the boost range of the turbocharger) quicker than the longer-stroke engine.
Old 01-29-2004, 10:20 AM   #12
Oldsman
Owner

that is how it makes the bottom end weak with FI.

just imagine what would happen when you try to spin a bigger stroke crank with froged steel rods and forged piston real fast........it don't like it.

the only thing that might work would be N2O but that is it.
Old 01-29-2004, 10:21 AM   #13
Oldsman
Owner

grouch, no sure if it did raise compression. but your right high compression not good for FI.
Old 01-30-2004, 06:56 PM   #14
NoSweat83
I Have ONE NUT

Thanks for all the great info. But, I dont want FI. I have got the induciton dynamics cold air so do want to get the super charger and I also have a header and custom exaust so I dont want a turbo. I am also not looking for huge amounts of horse power. Which if you didi want that a different motor would be almost ideal. What I am looking for is cost efficent parts that will get me around 200-225 horse at the wheels. My alero is too heavy with the audio system which takes up the whole trunk and the back seat. So you have a 2-seater alero. This car is more for show but, I do like horsepower and want more of it. Any other advise would be greatly appriceated.
Old 01-30-2004, 09:01 PM   #15
Final-Reality

Uhm NoSweat.... "FI" stands for "forced induction", and a supercharger is forced induction just like a turbocharger is...

If thats what I think you're saying is... you have an Induction Dynamics CAI? And you want a supercharger?

Maybe I misunderstand you there though, check your spelling please...
Old 01-31-2004, 06:39 PM   #16
Sportalero

So are there any common methods out now that would help in "de-stroking" the 2.4?
Old 01-31-2004, 10:50 PM   #17
Final-Reality

Quote:
Originally posted by Sportalero@Jan 31 2004, 06:39 PM
So are there any common methods out now that would help in "de-stroking" the 2.4?
I don't really think de-stroking it is necessary, either.. as long as your rods, pistons and bearings are of high quality the bottom end will be good and strong for any amount of boost you throw at it.

The stock crank is forged nodular iron and is very strong... lightening it might be necessary for better balance, and cryo-treating it is about the only thing you can do to strenghten it further.
Old 02-01-2004, 01:29 AM   #18
Sportalero

The posts i see about switching out parts from the 2.3 motor like the intake and exhaust cams, do they have anything to do with compression or were they stronger in this model? (about to sell my 6 to my sister and buy a 4, so tryna find out how many upgrades i'll be workin with)
Old 02-01-2004, 11:09 AM   #19
NoSweat83
I Have ONE NUT

Hey Final sorry for the jumbled words. Just trying to say I dont want FI. Because I will have to replace the intake I just got or the header that is on. If it is already done I dont want to re-do it. So I thought about stroking for more horse. I have also thought about getting new cams, cam gears, and port and polishing my head. So what do you think?
Old 02-02-2004, 12:30 AM   #20
Silverknight

if you do everything u've said in your last post you will make some nice HP ...prolly around 200 - 220 at the wheels, good for low low 15's to high 14's with a 5 speed tranny and low to mid 15's with what you've said you got. Makes for some go with that show.