Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 08-31-2004, 09:38 AM   #1
cutelilcntrygrl
I love boobs

cutelilcntrygrl is an unknown quantity at this point
Saturday night, I hit a possoum that looked to be knocked up. Then the Trac Off, ABS, and Service Engine lights came on. After that, any little bump in the road causes the lights to come on again. So, I leave work early this morning and take it to the dealership. Once again, the front wheel sensor, bearings, hub, and a bunch of other crap that I don't understand, needs to be replaced. I get home this morning and dig out all my invoices. All this was replaced in November 03 (I forgot about that one) and March 04. I did a search on here of this problem and it seems as though a lot of people have had the same problem more than once. Is it even worth keeping the car after it's fixed, just to have it happen again in 5 or 6 months? I came soo close to just trading it in on a pretty black 2004 GLS that they had on the lot.

http://www.myspace.com/smr612
cutelilcntrygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 10:28 AM   #2
misslindseysue

You should be able to get 2-3 years out of a hub. The problem is that the ABS sensor is a fairly delicate little thing. And it's part of the hub, can't be replaced separately. My guess is you jarred it good enough to screw it up when you hit that possum.
On the two occasions you had it in, was it for the same side, or did they go out at different times? Mine went out at different times, but within 6 months or so of each other.
So I'd say you just have bad luck. Find someone to replace it for you, it isn't terribly difficult and you can get the part for $100 at AutoZone.
Old 08-31-2004, 10:47 AM   #3
overdrive75

Federal Mogul, I believe has a new bearing design for these cars, it is supposed to be significantly better, you might want to have have that one installed. If you can wait a few days I can see about who makes it and what the part number is.
Old 08-31-2004, 10:48 AM   #4
2000NavyAleroGLS

I have had the same thing happen to me too. I had the things that they said had to be replaced done and about a week later the same lights came on. I figured that that was a little weird. So I took it in again to the same place and had another guy check it out and it turned out that itwas just a cracked wire that needed to be replaced. Everytime that I would hit a bump the wire would move a little and would send a message to the computer saying that these weren't working correctly.
Old 08-31-2004, 11:34 AM   #5
cutelilcntrygrl
I love boobs

Quote:
Originally posted by misslindseysue@Aug 31 2004, 10:28 AM
On the two occasions you had it in, was it for the same side, or did they go out at different times?
It's always been the passenger side. Strange thing is, I hit the possum on the drivers side. I wouldn't be so worried about it but the last time this happened, they said I was lucky that the whole tire didn't fly off. Maybe they see I'm a female and take for granted that I don't know a whole lot about this, or maybe that can really happen. I don't know. I do know that the car makes some strange noises when I turn left or right. Kinda like a knocking noise up front. I get paranoid tho because now that I'm living out in the boonies again, I drive to work at night time, anything can happen and I don't have the best signal on my cell phone out here. But they can't fix it until Thursday so overdrive, if you can find out the part number, that would be great. Thank you.

Old 08-31-2004, 11:53 AM   #6
smokinAMD
V.I.P. Member

smokinAMD is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to smokinAMD Send a message via AIM to smokinAMD Send a message via MSN to smokinAMD Send a message via Yahoo to smokinAMD
Quote:
Originally posted by cutelilcntrygrl+Aug 31 2004, 09:34 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (cutelilcntrygrl @ Aug 31 2004, 09:34 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-misslindseysue@Aug 31 2004, 10:28 AM
On the two occasions you had it in, was it for the same side, or did they go out at different times?
It's always been the passenger side. Strange thing is, I hit the possum on the drivers side. I wouldn't be so worried about it but the last time this happened, they said I was lucky that the whole tire didn't fly off. Maybe they see I'm a female and take for granted that I don't know a whole lot about this, or maybe that can really happen. I don't know. I do know that the car makes some strange noises when I turn left or right. Kinda like a knocking noise up front. I get paranoid tho because now that I'm living out in the boonies again, I drive to work at night time, anything can happen and I don't have the best signal on my cell phone out here. But they can't fix it until Thursday so overdrive, if you can find out the part number, that would be great. Thank you. [/b][/quote]
That knocking noise when turning is probably the steering rack. Mine does the same thing. I'm just ignoring mine untill I have another reason to take my car into the mechanic.
smokinAMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 11:54 AM   #7
DCAleroGL

Quote:
Originally posted by cutelilcntrygrl@Aug 31 2004, 10:34 AM
they said I was lucky that the whole tire didn't fly off.
Anyone else think this is bull? On my old chrysler, I had a front bearing go and drove another 5K miles before changing it. The grinding sound finally got to me. The part went in as one piece, and came out as a dozen, the wheel never came off. I wouldn't go back to that dealer again, or have someone else join you.
Oh, BTW, the federal mogul part for the Chrysler had to be replaced again 10K miles later.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:28 PM   #8
cutelilcntrygrl
I love boobs

I'm getting it fixed Thursday morning but come Monday, this girl will be in a new vehicle, and probably not another Alero... Three times is too many. The 4th would make it a Lemon and I don't wanna go through all that mess.

Old 09-01-2004, 11:36 AM   #9
cwm33

sellin your car? boooo....you should get a WILLY!! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...2488302435&rd=1
:thumbsup:
Old 09-01-2004, 09:34 PM   #10
cutelilcntrygrl
I love boobs

Quote:
Originally posted by cwm33@Sep 1 2004, 11:36 AM
sellin your car? boooo....you should get a WILLY!! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...2488302435&rd=1
:thumbsup:
Getting rid of the Alero, yes. Buying something like that, no.

Old 09-01-2004, 10:29 PM   #11
-Alero-
GLS member

-Alero- is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to -Alero-
harsh dude that sucked
Old 09-01-2004, 11:50 PM   #12
cutelilcntrygrl
I love boobs

Quote:
Originally posted by Alero-@Sep 1 2004, 10:29 PM
harsh dude that sucked
glad to see i'm not the only one that thought that.

Old 09-03-2004, 07:43 PM   #13
cutelilcntrygrl
I love boobs

Well I guess I'll be keeping the car for a little while. They ended up replacing the passenger side hub as well as the drivers side. And a bunch of other stuff. Runs like new now. I guess it pays to be a bitch sometimes.