Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Main Forums > Aleromod.com Showcase

Old 05-25-2014, 02:21 PM   #181
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 02:56 PM   #182
mfuller

Sounds really good, Chris.
Nice work.
Old 05-25-2014, 05:05 PM   #183
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfuller View Post
Sounds really good, Chris.
Nice work.

X2 sounds awesome.
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 04:29 PM   #184
That01Olds
GLS member

That01Olds is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Rad17 View Post
X2 sounds awesome.

X3.
2005 Mazda6 S Wagon 3.0L V6 (MZI) (Sold).
2013 Mazda3 i Touring Sedan 2.0L I4 (Skyactiv-G) (Sold).
2010 Chevrolet HHR LT 2.2L I4 (LE8) (Sold).
1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue GX 3.5L Twin Cam V6 (LX5) (Sold).
2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL 2.4L (LD9) (Sold).
That01Olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 04:45 PM   #185
nicothehut
GX Member

nicothehut is on a distinguished road
Truck Ya !!!!!
Old 05-26-2014, 07:35 PM   #186
Secord
GX Member

Secord is on a distinguished road
Looking clean man!
Old 05-26-2014, 07:47 PM   #187
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
That was some short lived fun.

Broke the turbo.
Need a new one ASAP. The TiAL housing, even using high strength M6 bolts, Nord-Lock washers, and Rocksett enginering adhesive, allowed movement of the CHRA/compressor side of the turbo independent of the turbine housing. Basically, you could wobble the compressor/CHRA side. Apparently it has wobbled enough to cause the turbine fins to collide with the turbine housing's interior, and destroy the fins and also overheat the bearing assembly (maybe) because it sounds bad. But it still spins a long time when the car is off, but you can see the side to side play now.

I didn't expect this turbo to last as long as it did. I bought it used and abused for half price. I used and abused it.

Edit: Ordered a new one.

Countermeasure for failure:
The CHRA will be tack welded to the TiAL v-band turbine housing. This will prevent the CHRA from moving and allowing for friction and wear of the turbine wheel.
I realize this is unconventional, but I do not need to ever take it apart nor do I need to clock it any other way than the way it's installed.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:37 AM   #188
NoSweat83
I Have ONE NUT

NoSweat83 is an unknown quantity at this point
That sucks Chris, but at least you have another on the way.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:48 AM   #189
[ion] C2
636 whp

Indeed. I also e-mailed TiAl for recommendations:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris --> TiAL
Hello,

I have a GT30R SS 0.63 turbine housing that I’ve used on my Garrett GT3076R turbocharger for a few years now.

I have had to remove and reinstall the turbo many times over the years due to loosening of the CHRA/compressor side relative to the turbine housing. No matter what I do, how meticulously the turbo is installed, the CHRA becomes able to “wobble” and clock slightly back and forth after the first few drives. This has led to damage to the turbine fins as well as exhaust leaks at the CHRA-turbine seal. The turbocharger recently failed at the turbine wheel and bearings last night after a good amount of high RPM/throttle fun this weekend.

My question is: Do you have any recommendations to increase the clamping force of the CHRA to the turbine housing and prevent any future wobble/clocking after heat cycles?

Over the years, I have used:
1. TiAL Inconel bolts only
2. TiAL Inconel bolts and Nord-Lock washers
3. New TiAL Inconel bolts, new TiAL clamp plates, Nord-Lock washers, Rocksett engineering adhesive
4. High strength bolts, Nord-Lock washers, Rocksett engineering adhesive with everything assembled to extreme detail

The CHRA has wobbled and contributed to failure in all of these cases. For the most part, the bolts have not actually become that loose, they feel tight. It’s just that the provided clamp plates seem to not provide enough clamping force for the CHRA pressing into the turbine housing. Until all 6 bolts are removed and re-tightened fully, the CHRA can clock and wobble. Only at that very last miniscule amount of bolt torqueing does the CHRA become firm. But after a few heat cycles it relaxes and wobbles.

Basically I’m wondering if you have any advice to prevent this from happening on the new GT3076R that I ordered. Do you, can you produce turbine/CHRA clamp plates that are thinner in the flat section to maximize the clamping squeeze in the raised ridge that presses the CHRA into the turbine housing when the bolts are tightened?

My only idea and option I can see is to tack weld the CHRA to the turbine, which I realize is quite unconventional, but my turbo is never apart and never needs re-clocking from the original installation position. Please let me know if you have a better solution available.

Thank you,

Edit: What a surprise, they redesigned the clamps in Dec 2013. Too bad no one has any in stock.
http://www.verociousmotorsports.com/...-Housings.html

Wonder if TiAL would ship me some direct. I'm sure the new design would help if not solve the issue without welding.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:51 PM   #190
[ion] C2
636 whp

Hooray, a set of free improved lock plates from TiAL after my concerns were expressed to them. New turbo comes in Friday, should be up and running on Friday.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:59 PM   #191
guiguilandry
Premier V.I.P. Member

guiguilandry is on a distinguished road
keep up the good work man !!!! this car is just amazing... lots of trial and errors but the important thing is to learn from our mistakes and badluck... and I know what I'm talking about.... the feeling you must have when driving it... some people can't understand the importance of building their own car...

www.demonautosport.ca
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2941359
http://demonautosport.monchar.com/
guiguilandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:10 AM   #192
[ion] C2
636 whp

Thanks, it is fun.

I thanked TiAL for their support and said I'd continue to recommend their products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAL
We are happy to hear that. I went back in the shop this morning and got your package around. It should be shipping out today, arrival should be by Friday. Ill try to get some tracking information from the shipping dept. for you.
Again, we appreciate your business, and happy motoring.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:54 PM   #193
[ion] C2
636 whp

Old 05-29-2014, 07:55 PM   #194
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Scared to get yout hands dirty?
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:09 PM   #195
[ion] C2
636 whp

when you work on your cars enough you'll realize it's a hell of a lot easier to do things with nitrile gloves
  • no transfer of grime between parts if you don't want to
  • i can take calls quickly without dirtying my phone
  • my hands stay clean so i don't have to spend 30 minutes trying to get grease/oil whatever fluids/dirt that are extremely difficult to scrub out

my hands and arms and entire body has been dirty enough over the years working on vehicles. i'm a bit smarter now when it comes to processes.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:42 PM   #196
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Im just yankin your chain haha. I dont mind getting dirty. Gives character
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:10 PM   #197
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
when you work on your cars enough you'll realize it's a hell of a lot easier to do things with nitrile gloves
  • no transfer of grime between parts if you don't want to
  • i can take calls quickly without dirtying my phone
  • my hands stay clean so i don't have to spend 30 minutes trying to get grease/oil whatever fluids/dirt that are extremely difficult to scrub out

my hands and arms and entire body has been dirty enough over the years working on vehicles. i'm a bit smarter now when it comes to processes.

^this
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 05:39 PM   #198
[ion] C2
636 whp

New turbo came in... clamp plates from TiAL still in transit.. wtf.

They shipped from a place literally one hour away on Wednesday. It's Friday and USPS still has not delivered it. Hopefully they come in Monday and I can get this thing back running. Pissed.

Old 05-31-2014, 01:40 PM   #199
Babyblue
GL Member

Babyblue is on a distinguished road
Can't wait to see her at the 14' homecoming meet!
2004 GLS #40 of the final 500. 3500 swap and F-40 6-speed.
Babyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 02:44 AM   #200
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
Im just yankin your chain haha. I dont mind getting dirty. Gives character

Try messing around with urethane, then tell me how you feel.

BTW urethane is a stronger RTV gasket maker. it's meant for windshields but can be used to seal up anywhere where you don't want water coming in.
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote