Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 02-11-2010, 09:26 AM   #1
Th0r
GX Member

Th0r will become famous soon enough
99 motor vs. 2000 motor.

Are there any differences with sensors and wiring, or can I just drop a 99 motor in my 2k and turn the key?
Old 02-11-2010, 10:15 AM   #2
JLw7123
i speed up for corners

JLw7123 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JLw7123 Send a message via Yahoo to JLw7123 Send a message via Skype™ to JLw7123
don't think so what motor are you putting in.
1999 auburn mist metallic gls sedan R.I.P
2005 Subaru legacy 2.5i 190k. New rims and tires for summer.
JLw7123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:38 AM   #3
Vic28
GL Member

Vic28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Vic28
There is. Something with injectors and stuff. Il let ION or someone who know the 2.4 better chime in.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:01 AM   #4
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
injectors on the 99 arte Multec I's and the injectors on 2000+ are Multec II's
Nate's Alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:03 AM   #5
Th0r
GX Member

I'm sure the block is the same, but I just want to make sure all the hookups for sensors and such are there so I can run it with my ECM. The injectors wont matter since they'll be going bigger.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:18 AM   #6
jayson_waltz
GLS member

jayson_waltz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jayson_waltz
starter will be slightly smaller in 00 but its switched over anyways, and injectors apparently are a lil different, but you are changing them. yes it should fit just fine.
jayson_waltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:24 PM   #7
AlbinoMonkeyRat
Let's Play Army!

AlbinoMonkeyRat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate's Alero View Post
injectors on the 99 arte Multec I's and the injectors on 2000+ are Multec II's
is there any difference in the output?
1) just curious
2) helpful for future readers of this thread
RIP to my Alero @ 112000 miles. COD: thrown rod. TOD: 430pm, Dec19, 2011.
AlbinoMonkeyRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:41 PM   #8
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
actually it depends on if early 99 or late 99. My 99 has the 00 starter and the 00 knock sensor and the different injectors and ION's hp tuners was setup for 2000 and was able to read and write to my car but not smurfs 2000.

early 99 could have an egr, would also have different knock sensor, starter, and different injectors and they also used a different upsteam O2 sensor.

so to some up there could be quite a few differences which won't work swapping and others that could.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:05 AM   #9
Alerojester
GL Member

Alerojester is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Alerojester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsman View Post
actually it depends on if early 99 or late 99. My 99 has the 00 starter and the 00 knock sensor and the different injectors and ION's hp tuners was setup for 2000 and was able to read and write to my car but not smurfs 2000.

early 99 could have an egr, would also have different knock sensor, starter, and different injectors and they also used a different upsteam O2 sensor.

so to some up there could be quite a few differences which won't work swapping and others that could.

so if i read that right if it was built late i could put a 99 in my 01? if so then i could get it fixed alot sooner that would make my other half happy since she is part owner of the car she would get to drive it again.......

stock 2.4-building a WAI to a CAI 3A Racing muffler- ~Kicker Door speakers and Power Accustic rear speakers 10% tint 18x7.5 Alt Sonix, 2001 GLS sedan
Alerojester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:54 AM   #10
spyhunter
GL Member

spyhunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to spyhunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alerojester View Post
so if i read that right if it was built late i could put a 99 in my 01? if so then i could get it fixed a lot sooner that would make my other half happy since she is part owner of the car she would get to drive it again.......

you have a 2001 car? awesome. You need a replacement engine? awesome.

any motor from 96 until the end of the production run of the 2.4L motor will work, as long as it is in good running condition.

from your crap motor you will transfer over this.....

starter
fuel injectors/rail
intake manifold/throttle body assembly
exhaust manifold using the newer style exhaust manifold gasket

as was previously said, 99 was a year of some minor changes.(2000 cars occasionally getting shafted too w/ the older style goodies).. as mentioned already. which is why listed above is what you will be reusing on the replacement engine.

the only issue is the knock sensor will not thread into an older style block, & vice versa. One knock sensor is larger than the other. Everything can be remedied w/ an adapter nut that your sensor can thread into and the nut being able to thread into the block. It's a simple fix. Car will run fine. I had a 98 block using 2001 goodies myself. Before I figured this out I ended up welding a nut instead. I learn the hard way for your knowledge.

blammer! hope I helped. it's late I'm tipsy.
Promoter - PM me to be put on the list. Ladies first drink free wed, thur, sat
spyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:37 AM   #11
Th0r
GX Member

Ok, this is my deal.

My motor is fine, but I want to build it. I found a 99 motor that has already been build with a good portion of the stuff I want done to it for about the same price. I figured I could save myself a lot of hassle and vehicle down-time by buying that motor.

The guy who will be tuning my car was able to read it with HPT. I just want to make sure that should I install the motor, and of course swap everything over, can still work with HPT.

So all I'd have to do is block off the the EGR with a gasket, adapt the knock sensor and I'll be good to go?
Old 02-12-2010, 09:56 AM   #12
Alerojester
GL Member

Alerojester is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Alerojester
Thank you Spyhunter. you have just made my search so much easier i was thinking that i couldn't use anything other than a 01 i know newbie mistake but i was corrected which i actually wanted.. and thor i wish you the best of luck

stock 2.4-building a WAI to a CAI 3A Racing muffler- ~Kicker Door speakers and Power Accustic rear speakers 10% tint 18x7.5 Alt Sonix, 2001 GLS sedan
Alerojester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:48 PM   #13
spyhunter
GL Member

spyhunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to spyhunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th0r View Post
Ok, this is my deal.

My motor is fine, but I want to build it. I found a 99 motor that has already been build with a good portion of the stuff I want done to it for about the same price. I figured I could save myself a lot of hassle and vehicle down-time by buying that motor.

The guy who will be tuning my car was able to read it with HPT. I just want to make sure that should I install the motor, and of course swap everything over, can still work with HPT.

So all I'd have to do is block off the the EGR with a gasket, adapt the knock sensor and I'll be good to go?

all you need is the exhaust manifold gasket for a newer motor which already blocks off the egr passage.

You're using your existing wiring harness and PCM, so the HPT should not have any issues with whatever motor you use. It doesn't care, it just needs a PCM it likes.

If you want to do a sick motor build that will be bullet proof. Hollar at ya boy.
Promoter - PM me to be put on the list. Ladies first drink free wed, thur, sat
spyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote