Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 03-12-2010, 01:56 PM   #1
Th0r
GX Member

Th0r will become famous soon enough
P0171 - System Too Lean

I just had this code pop up today.

Things to note:
AFR doesn't seem lean. Idle is normal and WOT reads 11.X on the Tech2.
I've tested for vacuum leaks with carb cleaner. None.
Bank 1 O2 was replaced with a heated sensor about 3k miles ago.
I found a P1171 - Fuel System Lean During Acceleration in history.
There is alot of oil on the breather filter for my PCV.

Any ideas on what I can do or check next?
Old 03-12-2010, 02:01 PM   #2
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Wideband O2?
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:09 PM   #3
Th0r
GX Member

Nope. Nothing spliced.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:16 PM   #4
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
No I mean do you have a wideband O2 or is this "Tech II" just reading the narrowband?
Old 03-12-2010, 02:39 PM   #5
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
given that it's lean "under acceleration" could mean at any throttle position between 5% (less than 5% is considered idle) and 100% (98%+ is WOT).

That's a wide range to cover. What tuning device are you using? (not scanning device)

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:45 PM   #6
Th0r
GX Member

Oh. Yes, the heated sensor is a Bosch wideband.

All I have is a Tech2.

Last edited by Th0r : 03-12-2010 at 02:49 PM.
Th0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:27 PM   #7
Th0r
GX Member

Also, the car is for sure running rich as hell now. The exaust smells like raw fuel and the back bumper around the outlet is covered in soot.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:07 PM   #8
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
sounds like an injector that may be sticking open. Hard to tell without some hands-on troubleshooting.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:32 PM   #9
clutch1
GLS member

clutch1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to clutch1
Plug the PCV and see if it gets better.. if there's a lot of oil in there it might be stuck open.

Also... try smoking the system to check for vacuum leaks, works MUCH better than carb cleaner I've found.. find a buddy with a smoke machine.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:38 PM   #10
Alerojester
GL Member

Alerojester is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Alerojester
or a fog machine?

stock 2.4-building a WAI to a CAI 3A Racing muffler- ~Kicker Door speakers and Power Accustic rear speakers 10% tint 18x7.5 Alt Sonix, 2001 GLS sedan
Alerojester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:20 PM   #11
clutch1
GLS member

If you can get the fog to come out of a little tube, yea, that'd be a good idea. Just pump it into the brake booster hose or something, that's usually where I go.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:50 PM   #12
[ion] C2
636 whp

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch1 View Post
Plug the PCV and see if it gets better.. if there's a lot of oil in there it might be stuck open.
Psst... this is an LD9. Ignore clutch1's comment. The PCV hose that comes off the baffle is always going to be oily or oiling up the breather you stick on it, don't worry about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch1 View Post
Also... try smoking the system to check for vacuum leaks, works MUCH better than carb cleaner I've found.. find a buddy with a smoke machine
No, hook up a low pressure air line to your throttle body and do a boost leak test. You just listen for hissing with the car off. That is THE best way to find a vacuum leak and extremely quick and simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th0r View Post
Bank 1 O2 was replaced with a heated sensor about 3k miles ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th0r View Post
Oh. Yes, the heated sensor is a Bosch wideband.
So you're saying you replaced the factory narrowband sensor with a wideband? There's one insanely huge problem. But if that were true you'd've noticed this issue when it was first installed, because you can't just replace it outright without any additional modification.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:11 PM   #13
clutch1
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
Psst... this is an LD9. Ignore clutch1's comment. The PCV hose that comes off the baffle is always going to be oily or oiling up the breather you stick on it, don't worry about it.

No, hook up a low pressure air line to your throttle body and do a boost leak test. You just listen for hissing with the car off. That is THE best way to find a vacuum leak and extremely quick and simple.

So you're saying you replaced the factory narrowband sensor with a wideband? There's one insanely huge problem. But if that were true you'd've noticed this issue when it was first installed, because you can't just replace it outright without any additional modification.

Sorry I don't know the intricacies of the LD9. I know a stuck open PCV sucks more oil in than normal and acts as a vacuum leak to a degree (lean running)

Smoke is MUCH better than just air, because you can only feel/hear air. The smoke machine I use pumps in pressurized smoke and you don't have to listen or do much of anything, just look where it comes out.

You CAN replace the factory o2 sensor with a wideband. Certain ones have two signal wires, one with the wideband scale and another that reads the traditional 0v-1v range the ECU likes.
I don't know if the Bosch is one like that.. but as long as it's getting it's proper signal it'll be happy.

Plus I don't see how getting to high of a signal would throw a lean code. If the proper A/F mixture shows up as .5 on a narrow and 2.5 on a wide, the signal would be muuuuch higher than the computer wants to see, and would think it's running nasty rich based on the signal voltage.

Last edited by clutch1 : 03-13-2010 at 01:13 PM.
clutch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 01:27 PM   #14
[ion] C2
636 whp

Except our PCV system isn't hooked up to vacuum. It's just a baffle that vents to air or the air intake.

Pressurized smoke would be the best, I agree. Didn't know it was pressurized. I think of a fog machine at parties when you talk of hooking one up.

You can replace it with the wideband but most people don't have the proper setup. I have a BOSCH wideband from AEM and you can't use it as a narrowband and a wideband at the same time. It has a narrowband simulation mode though.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:37 PM   #15
clutch1
GLS member

Ooo, is it one without a valve.. one of those oil separator screen setups?

Yeah, the smoke machine is amazing.. it's one of these:
http://www.denlorstools.com/shop/images/OTC-6521-lg.jpg

Plus the stuff that comes out smells real good lmao.

Ah, then if the Bosch only has the wideband signal, yea, change that crap to an OEM o2s... no reason to have a wideband on a stock car anyways.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:57 PM   #16
comanche
V.I.P. Member

comanche is an unknown quantity at this point
Do you have access to a graphing scan tool?

Like a Modis?

I'd be interested in seeing:
1. Oxygen sensor graphs
2. Short term/ long term fuel trim numbers

Do you have those available?
comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 12:33 PM   #17
Th0r
GX Member

At idle and cruise ST Fuel Trim sits at a steady 49%. LT Trim is 18%. I'll see if I can pull anything on the O2s.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:31 AM   #18
comanche
V.I.P. Member

Wow.

Crazy fuel trim numbers!

Hmm
If a sensor is stuck lean (can tell from graph prolly) then maybe that is causing the rich run?
Old 03-18-2010, 10:47 AM   #19
Th0r
GX Member

I had no way of getting a graph. I did narrow it down to the pos1 O2 sensor. I had installed a heated sensor to solve the following issues codes:
P0130 - Circuit Closed Loop (CL) Performance Sensor 1
P0133 - Slow Response Sensor 1
I ran the heated 02 for almost 5k miles with no issues till now when it threw the lean codes. I unhooked the heater lines to the sensor and the car is running perfect again, but the O2 codes are back now. If plug the heater wires back in I throw lean codes in a matter of minutes. I had it at a shop for a couple days and none of the techs had any luck figuring it out. Bah.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:41 PM   #20
comanche
V.I.P. Member

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.... maybe a major exhaust leak?

If there was a major exhaust leak after the engine, before the O2 sensor...
-Oxygen sensor would see much a much leaner mixture... since there would be a greater percentage of oxygen vs hydrocarbons...
-PCM will throw more fuel at the engine to make the mixture correct.... giving you those fuel trim numbers... and causing the car to run quite rich... but the car would think it was still running okay...

Anybody else think this might make sense?
Bad exhaust manifold gasket, or crack in manifold, or hole in exhaust?

Edit: BTW, you are going to kill the converter if you keep driving it this way...