Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 06-09-2005, 08:07 PM   #1
brim
GLS member

brim is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to brim
looking for a good cheap/decent sub and amp

from peoples experience I'm just looking for suggestions for what to look into

I listen to a variety of music but mostly rock I suppose, I'm not trying to shake buildings, but I want something that sounds better

wondering if i should just get a single 10 in. or 2, and what type of amp I need to power em

follow the titans
brim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 08:11 PM   #2
AftermathAlero
V.I.P. Member

AftermathAlero is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to AftermathAlero
check with joel (soundxtreme). Hes the person to see for car audio. or view his store at www.deafaudio.com

if it was me, and your not looking for earth shattering bass. I'll say go with a single 12, and a 500 watt class d amp.

The new fusion subs are good and priced awesome. check out his store. I just got 2 12"fusion subs for a buddy of mine through him.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:19 PM   #3
brim
GLS member

i didn't even think of joel

follow the titans
Old 06-10-2005, 03:45 PM   #4
TheSoundDemon
GX Member

TheSoundDemon is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to TheSoundDemon Send a message via MSN to TheSoundDemon Send a message via Yahoo to TheSoundDemon
You can always try a 10" alpine type s subwoofer and power it with the alpine mrp-m350 mono amp...that's the setup that my friend Dana has, and she absolutely loves the sound...she drives an olds alero as well.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:23 PM   #5
mikegett
GL Member

Location: connersville, Indiana (don't ask, it's not worth it)
mikegett is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mikegett
If you listen to rock then stick with a sound quality sub and not a spl model. Look for a sub with a rms around 300 and 500 watts. Here is a tip. Lower end models tend to be more sound driven versus the spl models. Look for a high efficiency number as well. 88 and above is pretty good for a sub. Try to stay away from a sub with extremely long excursions. Rock music tends to be centered above 60htz so one or two 10 inch models will fit it better than a 12. What you are looking for is a sub with the quickest response time. Otherwise, you will start to see the subs lagging in extreme drum rolls. Of course, the best way to find out what you want is by listening to them. Just be sure to take your music.
mikegett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 09:55 PM   #6
brim
GLS member

i'm definately gonna have to start hunting around soon

Any good suggestions on companies, should i stick with the same company for the amp and sub. Hell the last time i bought speakers were kenwood 3 ways for $110 in 99'

hehe

follow the titans
Old 06-11-2005, 09:58 PM   #7
jamcllw
GLS member

jamcllw is an unknown quantity at this point
What's your budget? Are you installing yourself or paying someone? Are you going to need a box for subs or can you build it?
jamcllw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 03:04 PM   #8
mikegett
GL Member

Location: connersville, Indiana (don't ask, it's not worth it)
mikegett is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mikegett
Agreed. A budget is the most important factor to look at. Let us know what your final price range is. There will always be better products that cost more so pick your range and try to stay with it.
WWW.cardomain.com has a nice price on Infinity subs and a kenwood amp.
The Infinity Kappa Perfect 10 VQc has slight cosmetic damage but is priced at $169 opposed to $249.
http://www.cardomain.com/item/INFPERFECT10VQC
This is more of a spl sub opposed to a sq sub. I have heard them and they are pretty accurate and would give a decent overall sound between music. A plus with this model is that it offers a variable Q so the sub can be fitted to a wide range of boxes. This would be ideal if you were going to just buy a box and not custom fit one.
The Infinity Reference 1030w is priced at $51 dolllars and is a very nice sq sub. http://www.cardomain.com/item/INFREF1030W
If you are looking to save money and direct the subs toward rock I would suggest two of these. The smaller surround, lower wattage requirements and high sensitivity make for a faster response time for drum rolls. The reason I suggest one is that this sub will not get as loud as the other model. Since rock music has higher frequencies you will want to compensate with two subs and more wattage.
The kenwood Kac-9102D is a decent mono (single channel) class D sub for 299. http://www.cardomain.com/item/KENKAC9102D It produces 500 watts rms at 4 ohms and 850 watts rms at 2 ohms. This would be more than adequate to run one or two (if you want to upgrade) of either of the infinity subs. There is a low pass crossover and subsonic filter. Something you must have if it is not on your HU. For the price, this is a very nice amp. Keep in mind that if possible you want to focus on the amp more than the sub. Just try to stay away from a 150 dollar 1000 watt amp.
If you like the Infinity reference (SQ sub) then I would go with two 4 ohm singe voice coil models. That would give your amp a 2ohm rating and push 250 watts over the subs rms. That would help to give more push to some of the lacking frequecies in rock. If you can't afford two then one single 4 ohm voice coil would still be pushing more than the rms. You could try it out and add another if you don't like it.
If you think the perfect sub sounds good then one of the 4 ohm single voice coil models will probably fit your needs. This sub is very close to my current sub. I listen to blues, jazz, and rock for the most part and two would overpower most of the mids.
mikegett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 10:06 PM   #9
brim
GLS member

thanks for the input

i could build a box if i had too, I'm sure I'd have no problem with it.

Still surprises me how much amps go for even nowadays. I can think back 5 years ago of great sounding systems but there isn't any cut down on prices for good systems.

Thanks for the responses so far

follow the titans