Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 06-26-2005, 12:04 AM   #1
ockins

I have been reading up on the forums lately as I am a proud new owner of a 99 Alero GLS coupe. First things first, I am truly disappointed with the sound system. With windows down and going 45 volume at a reasonable level cds distort and sounds like crap, not to mention the pickiness of the stock HU when it comes to reading burned cds.

I'm trying to keep my budget about $300-$400 for a new sound system. I like the Pioneer DEH-3700MP head unit HU for $150. Crutchfield seems good to buy from since they give you all the installation stuff for free.

I checked out the Infinity Reference series 4X6s Click for $80ish and like them, but I think its stupid to waste the stock tweeter mounts by the window. Do you think I should go with components? I'm going to install it all myself (my first car audio venture) and I'm unsure if I want to have to mess around and get the Infinity 6000 or 6010cs to fit just right in the doors. Plus for now i would hold off an amping everything til the $$$ situation is better aka getting a summer job.

As for 6x9s Infinity had some sweet offerings. I saw them at Circuit City, forgot the model but they were $150.

I guess my real issue is up in the front what would you guys suggest 4x6s or components, i know you'll all say components but would they really sound bad if they werent amped and just going through the pioneer? i mean the thing is only pushin like 22watts. Also what kind of custom fab work would i have to do to get them to fit?

sorry about the long ramblings, its kinda late. thanks in advance
Old 06-26-2005, 12:26 AM   #2
Vtolds
H&B Shipping Agent

Vtolds is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Vtolds
I have the Pioneer DEH-3700MP head unit in my Elantra, and it works perfect and I also got mine from crutchfield.
Vtolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 11:10 AM   #3
ockins

Thanks Vtolds. I think its great with the MP3 capability and all other features.

Anyone have some suggestions for my front speaker dilemma?
Components I'm iffy, but again 4x6s i'm not getting the sound quality, but im saving some cash. What do you guys think?

And if there is a better or on par speaker for cheaper clue me in.
Old 06-26-2005, 12:00 PM   #4
ImSoBored
GL Member

ImSoBored is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ImSoBored
I've got infinity refrences up front, I love em compared to stock, not good on the lows, so you might want some subs.

I've also got rockford 6x9's.
Old 06-26-2005, 12:35 PM   #5
ockins

ImSoBored,

Did you remove your stock tweets or just disconnect them?
Old 06-26-2005, 03:32 PM   #6
FormulaNERD
GLS member

FormulaNERD is an unknown quantity at this point
well if he got components, he removed the stock tweets and replaced them with the tweets from the component set.
FormulaNERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 07:32 PM   #7
mikegett
GL Member

Location: connersville, Indiana (don't ask, it's not worth it)
mikegett is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mikegett
I would avoid components without a external amp. Even cheap speakers will outperform the best speaker if applied more wattage. Remember, components are not the holly grail of speakers. The main benefit is that they have crossovers, longer excursions and will sustain more wattage. If you can't supply the wattage then either wait until you can get a amp or look for a set of coaxial speakers with a lower rms rating. There are plenty of good coaxials that will sound fine with the HU power. The key is always to match your system parts to the best ability.
mikegett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 09:23 PM   #8
ockins

I was referring to the stock tweet removal with the 4x6s, since the tweets will not be used anymore because the infinitys are 2 ways 4x6s.

Thanks mike for the opinion. After considering it, amping isnt an option at the moment. im thinking i'll go with the Infinity Reference 6412cfp 4x6s and some good 6x9s, probably from infinity and run it all off the HU, for now that is.