ported box 8 57.14%
sealed box 6 42.86%
bandpass box 0 0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-18-2010, 07:01 PM   #41
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Ryan from Ohio will become famous soon enough
Post skimming happens. What you say on the next page may be missed. Thats why its best to be thorough.

Unfortunately there is not much dumbing down on topics such as this. Its simply ignorant to make comments such as:

Quote:
Sealed oversize for 12"s 200-800W a piece, 15"s Would definitely ported considering how shotty a L7 sounds in a sealed. IMO skip bandpass, Port larger subs to flex hard, Seal smaller subs for tighter bass AND Longer sub life. Don't forget IMO....Only 9 years experience here.

To figure out what box subs need consult the owners manual. Most subs come with a manual and most manuals give you specifications for boxes known to work well with the subs. When you just start throwing subs in any old box is when you have issues, especially ported and bandpass boxes. Not every sub will work in every box...

The manual is a good starting point. Once you understand things better you can actually design your own enclosure. To do it properly you must first know what the speakers are capable of. Know what range of music is being used, what power is available. Then you need to know the overall goal. Then the trick is to take all that info and blend it together.

Quote:
plus you cant do hairtricks with sealed boxes

False. Sealed boxes depend on subwoofer excursion. The more the sub moves, the more air it will displace. The more air you can displace, the better the chance at doing hair tricks.

Quote:
My point that i am getting at is when I first got into it, and from what I have seen and heard from the best sounding stereos with great SPL usually comes with lots of sealed 10"s or 12"s but usually them huge drivers found on such subs as FI and Kicker Solo X's typically ran best with ported to keep the driver cool as well as push air for great SPL

This whole above quoted thing is a contradiction. Read it carefully. Best sounding with great SPL from sealed 10's & 12's but usually huge drives ran best ported?

Quote:
yea i was thinking it would be possible with enough power/woofers, just haven't seen one before that. ported just moves so much more air due to high excursion

Actually its quite opposite. If you understood how ported enclosures work this comment wouldnt of been made. Excursion only plays a small roll in ported enclosures. Ever hear of the Cerwin Vega Stroker? That didnt have ultra high excursion but set many records in the day- in ported boxes.

The long and the short is- a ported box in tuned to a specific frequency. At said frequency the air inside the port is acts as a spring to the sub. Below said frequency the sub drops off sharply without much ability to control it.

I know not all of these quotes are from Sticky, but they are the ones that need pointed out.

I have no issue with opinions. But when stated as such people will think thats what you consider true- which it is not.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:18 PM   #42
Afugy
I poop alot

Afugy is on a distinguished road
W horn loaded 4th oder box with 2 18"s does 139 db in open air with 600 wrms at 55hz. This box also has a second resonating peek at 105hz, with the correct amp settings you can not hear any peeks on a sweep or pink noise, basically sounds like the same volume from 30hz all the way up to 150hz.

Theres no need to "dumb down" what you're saying, if they want to know how to do it them selfs, they need the full version or we'll only end up with more threads like these.
Afugy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 07:31 PM   #43
Cashdollar2009
GL Member

Cashdollar2009 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afugy View Post
Theres no need to "dumb down" what you're saying, if they want to know how to do it them selfs, they need the full version or we'll only end up with more threads like these.

Amen brotha.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:54 PM   #44
Stickybuddz420
GX Member

Stickybuddz420 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan from Ohio View Post
Post skimming happens. What you say on the next page may be missed. Thats why its best to be thorough.

Unfortunately there is not much dumbing down on topics such as this. Its simply ignorant to make comments such as:

To figure out what box subs need consult the owners manual. Most subs come with a manual and most manuals give you specifications for boxes known to work well with the subs. When you just start throwing subs in any old box is when you have issues, especially ported and bandpass boxes. Not every sub will work in every box...

The manual is a good starting point. Once you understand things better you can actually design your own enclosure. To do it properly you must first know what the speakers are capable of. Know what range of music is being used, what power is available. Then you need to know the overall goal. Then the trick is to take all that info and blend it together.

False. Sealed boxes depend on subwoofer excursion. The more the sub moves, the more air it will displace. The more air you can displace, the better the chance at doing hair tricks.

This whole above quoted thing is a contradiction. Read it carefully. Best sounding with great SPL from sealed 10's & 12's but usually huge drives ran best ported?

Actually its quite opposite. If you understood how ported enclosures work this comment wouldnt of been made. Excursion only plays a small roll in ported enclosures. Ever hear of the Cerwin Vega Stroker? That didnt have ultra high excursion but set many records in the day- in ported boxes.

The long and the short is- a ported box in tuned to a specific frequency. At said frequency the air inside the port is acts as a spring to the sub. Below said frequency the sub drops off sharply without much ability to control it.

I know not all of these quotes are from Sticky, but they are the ones that need pointed out.

I have no issue with opinions. But when stated as such people will think thats what you consider true- which it is not.

Enough said I suppose

No More Cobalts - 2 12" Punch HE2's
1100W BOSS CHAOS Mono Amp
Stickybuddz420 is offline   Reply With Quote