Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 01-13-2016, 09:15 AM   #1
limey
GX Member

limey is on a distinguished road
Remote OK, key not always?

Hi, this is my first call for advice and hopefully.......
Last year I purchased an 03 3.4 Alero in very good condition, only 76K and rust sprayed every year. I have been very happy with the vehicle and found it very reliable and economical compared to my previous minivan.
Last week it was raining hard and on leaving the store the car was hard to start, which it never was. On the way home the door locks began to stutter and the cluster lights flashing on off indicating that the ignition was playing up and the ignition then switched itself off. The car started again without problems and we got home.
I'm finding now that starting the car using the ignition is very unreliable, sometimes the car starts and more often it wants to start but the door locks start locking and unlocking and the cluster lights flash just like before.
The car has a remote starter feature and the car starts without a problem when I use it. The starter has features such as door lock/unlock and trunk but only the start/stop works, which is fine for me.
I have searched the web for information on this problem but only found articles on remote starter not working.
I'm guessing the remote is an after market addition and perhaps there is a problem with the wiring or could it be the ignition? The security warning works correctly.
I have not used the car much since last week so there could be a chance of the the ignition cutting out when driving, like last week?
Thanks for any information.
limey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:05 AM   #2
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
There is a recall on the Alero for most of your issues. Most of us got the recall, and I think it was recall "14430" where they put a little plastic insert in the top of the key making only one little hole for your other keys.

I had a problem like you are describing, only mine wasn't as bad, back in 2006. The car shut off while driving and I was going 60 MPH and heading for a red light Got the car restarted and all was well. I took the car to my mech for this issue and he replaced the ign tumbler at a cost of $555.

Call your local GM dealer and give them your VIN. They will be able to tell you if your recall has been taken care of or not. If the recall hasn't been done, or if it was just done for "unintended key rotation" tell them exactly what is going on. This needs to get fixed ASAP.

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:33 AM   #3
limey
GX Member

Thanks, the previous owner was issued with new keys that has round holes in the plastic to replace those with elongated, I'm guessing this was the "fix"?
My ignition gives problems even when the key is in the start start position and cranking, it acts like I'm switching the ignition on and off in rapid succession with the sound of the door unlocking and locking and the cluster lights doing the same. The car will not start with this going, but if I get out the remote starter gizmo, which is kept separate, the car starts, immediately.
I have one remote to lock/unlock the doors and pop the trunk, the other remote is just works starter.

Last edited by limey : 01-13-2016 at 10:37 AM. Reason: added more info.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:51 AM   #4
rocketfast321
GL Member

rocketfast321 is on a distinguished road
First thing I would do is disable the remote start. Can starts fine with it? Water could have gotten somewhere. Also the car should have a bypass for the pass lock system. Where its at or what they used I can't tell you. That remote start sounds like its tap into all the basic stuff.
Baby Sandy: 2001 2.4 Grand Am se 1.5 (auto) 32k-119k : Sept.2002-Aug.2010
Mickey: 2001 Alero GL 2.4 5-speed (Nov. 2010) 109k-???
rocketfast321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 01:36 PM   #5
limey
GX Member

I have just finished phoning a local outfit that installs remote starters and I asked the guy if he would take a look at my vehicle, I explained that the remote starts the car great but using the ignition key is very much hit and miss. He replied that if the car starts on the remote, then the trouble is somewhere else (makes sense) so, I'm leaning towards the ignition switch being faulty?
Old 01-14-2016, 05:18 AM   #6
falloutboy
GL Member

falloutboy is on a distinguished road
Just a thought for all the little and random electrical issues especially during moist / wet weather.
Ever checked the fuses(boxes) in the instrument panel (left and right)?
Another Alero had some weird power drain issues years ago, and once my car kinda lost all power in the cabin, while still running fine.
Found my leftside fusebox was wet on the back, and most relays and fuses had begun to have copper-rust (getting these green gunky stuff on the contacts).
Cleaned it, dried it, sprayed in WD40 and works fine.

The only thing is, where does the water come from?
1979 350SB Chevrolet Camaro Project Thread
1995 Chrysler Stratus LX
1999 3.4L Oldsmobile Alero (resource page)
2002 Nissan Primera with CVT
falloutboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 04:02 PM   #7
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Remote starters are cool, but mine turned the car off while I was driving it. It has been disconnected for 15 years now.

Like I said, they are cool, but way too much hassle

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 10:05 AM   #8
limey
GX Member

I removed both fuse covers from each door side and all was clean and dry, I removed the relays and all were bright. The same with the underhood fuses and relays, well those that were ignition related.
I really feel the ignition needs replacing, everything else works, I'm lucky I had a remote starter, I would have been looking everywhere.
The vehicle is 13 years old and has very few km on it but it was used for just very short trips to work by the previous owner so the ignition got a lot of use.
I found the following, quite interesting.
http://www.import-car.com/diagnostic...lure-symptoms/
I have been looking online for an ignition assy and perhaps getting one from a breakers yard, any thoughts on this?
Thanks

Last edited by limey : 01-15-2016 at 10:08 AM. Reason: copied and pasted link wrong
Old 01-16-2016, 06:47 AM   #9
03Alerosil
GL Member

03Alerosil is on a distinguished road
Get a new one from Rockauto.com. Did mine last year. Tumbler was cheap. Ignition switch was around $100 or so. Can't remember. Not a hard repair at all to do yourself. I did both the switch and the tumbler because my tumbler was sticky. Took me 30 minutes to replace including the passlock relearn. Haven't had an issue since. I know rockauto was half the money of the parts store with overnight shipping. Part stores wanted around $320 and I got mine for $175. The exact same part numbers. I used Wells branded stuff.
03Alerosil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 12:46 PM   #10
limey
GX Member

From what I can gather, the passlock needs to be bypassed if a remote starter is installed? If this is the case, do I just need to replace the ignition switch and not the ignition lock cylinder that contains the security chip?
Thanks
Old 01-18-2016, 07:52 PM   #11
limey
GX Member

Update,
started the car this morning using the remote and drove to the store and on the way the engine cut out. I restarted the engine using the ignition key, no problem but the security light came on. Finished driving to the store and parked. Out from the store, started the car with remote and no security light came on and I drove home. In my drive I switched off the engine and restarted it with the key, no problem and no security light.
I have started the car twice with the key this afternoon without problems or security light staying on.
I think the problem is the passlock bypass that perhaps has a bad joint or the resistor has changed value. There is a local guy that installs remotes, I'll let him take a look, it's too cold for me to attempt.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:12 AM   #12
limey
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
Remote starters are cool, but mine turned the car off while I was driving it. It has been disconnected for 15 years now.

Like I said, they are cool, but way too much hassle

All very strange, I have been relying on the remote to start the car because the ignition key was very iffy. Last Friday the remote stopped working and the key is now working perfectly.
I can get by without the remote, I'm hoping that it has disconnected itself and requires no further attention?