Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 04-18-2016, 11:20 AM   #1
aroundincircles
GX Member

aroundincircles is on a distinguished road
tire suggestions?

so for all my other cars I've always put UHP tires on them, and I have a few go to tires that I've really liked and stuck with that provide a good mix of performance and quiet. However, none of the options I have purchased before are available in the 215/60r15 tire size that is on my alero. If it had steel wheels I would just get new wheels, but I like the stock wheels, so don't want to replace them.

So does anybody have a 215/60r15 tire that they've liked, that they've put at least 10k miles on them? my main concern would be noise (the tires I have now have plenty of tread, but they sound like there's a jet engine under my car when I'm driving on the highway), braking performance, and wet performance. I live in AZ, so no snow/ice performance, but when it rains it brings up all the oil and crud on the roads, so they can be pretty slick.

if there is already a thread I apologize, I looked and didn't see one.
aroundincircles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 03:47 PM   #2
Vella's Alero
GL Member

Vella's Alero is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure if they are still available but when I had my Alero, I bought Riken Raptors and found them excellent. They were really grippy, low road noise, and kept them on during the winter even though they were considered a summer tyre and never had a problem then either.

Only thing is I'm not sure if they are still available. Also, they were manufactured in a Michelin plant because they are a subsidiary of theirs.

OWN - 1996 Rover 414 - replaced engine with a 1.7TD Isuzu lump and gearbox, Uprated brakes, Custom seats and interior trim, MG ZS 11 spoke wheels, Custom bodywork, Custom LED taillamps, Custom gauge surround to hold 2 52mm gauges (filled with boost and oil pressure gauge)
Vella's Alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 03:47 PM   #3
Vella's Alero
GL Member

Vella's Alero is on a distinguished road
Sorry, just checked but mine were 16 inch wheels and just realised they dont come in 15 inch. Sorry bout that. :/

OWN - 1996 Rover 414 - replaced engine with a 1.7TD Isuzu lump and gearbox, Uprated brakes, Custom seats and interior trim, MG ZS 11 spoke wheels, Custom bodywork, Custom LED taillamps, Custom gauge surround to hold 2 52mm gauges (filled with boost and oil pressure gauge)
Vella's Alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 03:56 PM   #4
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Never tried them on a car as light as the Alero, but whenever I hear a size 15 tire, I right away think of BF Goodrich Radial T/A's. It's a performance tire, and has raised white lettering on them (often refered to as RWL) I've seen them on an Alero, kinda on the fence on how they look. Bit of a hard tire. Not too loud, but easy to spin on dry roads.

I just bought a pair of Mickey's for the front of my Delta, A much heavier car and old school suspension compared to an Alero. Size is pretty close too (215/65/15). Again RWL tires. Haven't driven on them yet but have decent reviews.

I put BFG's Advantage T/A's on the fiancee's 2008 Focus. Cheap, but that car runs very small tires (195/60/15's) That car can break them loose pretty easy with all of it's 120hp, but at $75 a tire, she couldn't resist.

Stay away from Michellens, they dry rot

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:14 PM   #5
aroundincircles
GX Member

the advantage T/A's are the most expensive (looking at discount tire direct)

I buy my tires at discount because its just around the corner from my house, here are the options discount tire direct has:

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...0&rd=15&cs=215

Old 04-26-2016, 09:21 AM   #6
aroundincircles
GX Member

Well, Decision made for me. Guy I know through the local jeep forum (I have an 89 XJ) is able to get me a deal on the yokohamas for $45/tire OTD.