Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 06-04-2005, 07:37 PM   #1
jiffy

Ok I'm ready to make my speaker purchase and am set on the Infinity 6000cs 6.5" components. Before I make the dive and buy them I want to hear from people who have installed them, or at least speakers with similar specs (depth and diameter) and find out exactly what I am getting myself into.

I'm going to get a set of those Cavalier speaker adapters, and the depth on these speakers won't be a problem (they are around 2").

What say ye?
Old 06-04-2005, 10:33 PM   #2
mikegett
GL Member

Location: connersville, Indiana (don't ask, it's not worth it)
mikegett is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mikegett
Don't go beyond 2" depth and the speaker with adaptor will fit. If you go beyond you start to run the risk of your speaker cone hitting the door. I would say that 2 and a 1/4 is the max you want to go before having to modify the doors. My current comps are 2 and 3/4. It is impossible to get this large without modding the panel.
If you are worried about fitt, there are other options. Focal makes a slim component set for under 300. Diamond audio use to carry a set last year. You might be able to still find them and get a deal on the price.
mikegett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 12:39 AM   #3
jiffy

The mounting depth of the speaker is 2 1/16" so it should be good to go then right?

I know that there are slimmer and higher quality speakers out there, but not within my budget. These are going to run me about $140ish with the adapter.
Old 06-05-2005, 06:18 PM   #4
mikegett
GL Member

Location: connersville, Indiana (don't ask, it's not worth it)
mikegett is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mikegett
I think you should be fine. I would try to place the grill between the door and speaker if you can. It will just add a little extra protection.
mikegett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 10:13 PM   #5
hubcaps

i agree with mike. i tried installing the 6000cs and i tried using mdf rings and also the metra adapters. the problem was that the rubber surround of the speaker would be pushed against the door. i never thought about using the grill to protect them.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:20 AM   #6
jiffy

hubcaps - so what did you end up doing with the speakers? Did you install them or did you change to another speaker?

Squeezing the speaker covers over it would be a good idea...if it fits. What problems would I encounter if the surrond is touching the door?

I know other people here have installed these speakers sucessfully, I'm just not sure exactly how.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:34 AM   #7
jamcllw
GLS member

jamcllw is an unknown quantity at this point
Use the Metra adapters. You have to position them correctly. The grills won't fit on top of the speakers. You can't put the door panel on with the grills. It'll work you just have to work with them until you find the right position.
jamcllw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 10:23 AM   #8
jiffy

jamcllw - thanks for the info. btw, did you ever decide on something for your speakers?
Old 06-07-2005, 10:28 AM   #9
jamcllw
GLS member

still looking haven't found anything yet
Old 06-08-2005, 10:14 PM   #10
hubcaps

jiffy,
i sold them on ebay. i ended up buying a set of cdt's, which are even bigger, but i think worth the effort (vs. the infinity). i'm still trying to figure out a way to do this. i might just trim the door a little.
if the surround is touching the door and as the speaker moves, the cone will be forced to rooster and will damage the voice coil. also, over repeated use the surround will literally wear down until it's a hole.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:15 PM   #11
jiffy

jamcllw - I forgot to ask. When you said about needing to find the right position, do you mean of the speakers within the metra adapter or the metra adapter within the door?

hubcaps - Yea there were a set of CDT's that I wanted from thezeb.com, but I knew it would be a lot of additional work that I was not up for in order to make them fit.

I've got to be honest guys, I'm still pretty nervous about installing these things but I want them badly. I'm going to order them right now along with a set of the metra adapters off of ebay.

I'm sure I'll be posting again (for help!)
Old 06-09-2005, 12:34 PM   #12
jiffy

one last thing

I was going to get the 6000cs from cardomain for $122 shipped. I now see I can get the new model, the 6010cs for $136 shipped from ebay.

The biggest difference I am interested in is that the 6010cs comes with a silk dome tweeter vs the 6000cs and its textile tweeter.

One of my biggest concerns, is not being able to return the ones I bought from ebay if something with them doesn't work out right (ie. me having to much trouble installing them). I could possibly return them, but I would lose $20 that I paid to have them shipped and then additional money to ship them back. I also lose any warranty by using ebay.

I guess I'm just not sure if the extra $$ is worth getting the silk tweeters but losing warranty and return options but I'm looking for some info from more experienced people around here.
Old 06-10-2005, 05:34 PM   #13
jiffy

Oh enough of my moaning about "I don't know what to get"

I ordered the speaker adapters yesterday and today right before I ordered the 6000cs from cardomain I hit up epinions and found the speakers at ubid.com for $49 refurbished.

I bought them from ubid and with shipping it came to $63

I can't wait for these to get here. Thanks everyone.
Old 06-10-2005, 05:48 PM   #14
jamcllw
GLS member

holy poop that's a freakin awesome deal
I've never heard of ubids before but i'm going to check it out now
Old 06-17-2005, 09:02 PM   #15
jiffy

I got the speakers in the mail today. Now I just need to wait on the speaker adapters I got off ebay.

Hopefully these will be going in next week without to big a hitch.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:23 PM   #16
jiffy

Good news.

The speaker adapters arrived yesterday and today I started taking my interior apart so I can get these speakers in.

I did a test fit on the tweeters, which are bigger than the stock ones. I had to break the plastic clips that hold the stock tweeters, and then I can sandwhich the new tweeter between the sail panel and the foam backing of the door using one of the mounts that came with the tweeter.

I ran all my wiring to the amp, so I just need to solder the connections up tomorrow. Then its just a matter of finding the right location for the speaker adapters, drilling those in, and then putting the speakers in.

I am pumped.
Old 06-21-2005, 05:52 PM   #17
BLK03GXS
GLS member

BLK03GXS is an unknown quantity at this point
pics please lol

BLK03GXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 04:50 PM   #18
jiffy

Sorry but my batteries for my camera are dead right now. Ive got to find my charger and juice them up before I can take pics.

Now onto the good and bad news.
The good news: everything is up and running. The bad news: The door panels are hitting the speakers and making it sound like poop.

Last night the driver side sounded good but the passenger side was hitting the door. I went out to fix it today and now the driver side is also hitting. Needless to say I am a little pissed.

I'm not sure which way to move it because I don't know where it is hitting. I already drilled 3 holes to mount these, I don't want to just keep drilling and guessing and drilling and guessing either.

I'm gonna have to take another look at it hopefully tomorrow.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:06 PM   #19
jiffy

I've got to work today but I should have some time tonight to take another look at these, and tomorrow morning.

Does anyone have any insight that might make this easier for me to find the proper positioning without constantly drilling?

I tried double sided tape, and it holds but once you pull it up it doesn't like to stick again. I guess I could keep getting new pieces and putting the door panel on and testing the speakers.

Another thing I don't know if anyone can help with. I'm getting this hissing sound from the tweeters. It happens whether or not the HU is on and it fluctuates with engine RPMs. I got it to quiet down some (I think) by adjusting the gains a little lower. The worst (loudest) part is the CLICK I hear when I press the brake. The point where the brake lights come on you can hear a loud CLICk and then when I release the brake you hear it again.

Someone told me it was the noise floor level of the amp, someone else suggested better LOCs might solve it.

I'm just looking for a little input on the hissing from some people here too.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:39 PM   #20
jamcllw
GLS member

You need a better ground to get rid of the hissing. As far as the speakers go you just have to play with them until you find the right place to put them. It was so long ago when i did mine i can't remember the exact placement.