Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 06-14-2005, 12:11 AM   #1
boarder211

K. I'm mounting an amp in my trunk for my 6x9's, and I want to have it behind the carpet so that it's not visible. I'm trying to put it back in the rear driver's side, but I'm afraid to screw through the metal on the inside of the quarter panel. It feels like there is some space between the inside of the trunk and the exterior of the quarter panel, but I'm quite timid about drilling guide holes into the metal.

Has anyone done this? Or does this even make sense?
Old 06-14-2005, 06:27 AM   #2
jiffy

I put my amp behind the carpet and it worked out good.

I cut a board that would fit the amp, but also snugly between the bottom and top of the side of the trunk. Then I just mounted the amp to that board and wedged it in behind the carpet. It stays put but can easily be removed if need be.

be careful where you put screws if you screw int sheet metal because the part that looks like the outside of your car is the outside of your car, there is nothing between that metal.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:54 AM   #3
boarder211

Thanks man... the wood idea sounds like something feasible and pretty easy to do.... so I'll probably do that in the coming week. (Damn work getting in the way of my car projects! )

And that's really what I was wondering abou the sheet metal. Because it kinda looks like there might be space inbetween the metal on the inside of the trunk and the exterior of the car, but as no-one's really said anything, I'll assume that it's a no-go.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:18 AM   #4
jiffy

Yea that sheet metal is definitely a no go.

I just used some MDF board that I had left over from when I made my box, but any plywood would work really. Go with something that is 3/4" thick so the screws have something thick enough to mount the amp onto.

You will have to cut the bottom corner of the board off so that it will fit near the wheel well, and possible angle cut the top of the board so it sits where the sheetmetal starts to round off (near the top of the trunk).

The board should just kinda wedge in there, partly held in place by one of the tailight screw things.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:21 PM   #5
boarder211

Thanks man... Actually, do you have any pics of it? Just to make my life a bit easier...