Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 06-15-2005, 03:43 PM   #1
alero401121
GX Member

alero401121 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to alero401121 Send a message via Yahoo to alero401121
i just got my alero in Aug and i've bought some 10" MTX for it. I heard that this car has a built in amp. Is this true? B/c if so, then is there a way that i can unhook it? Or would that help it sound better? I really need some help. If someone knows anything about all this, please get with me and help me out! THANKS!
Old 06-16-2005, 11:03 PM   #2
mikegett
GL Member

Location: connersville, Indiana (don't ask, it's not worth it)
mikegett is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mikegett
Some of the cars have a monsoon amp. If you have the premium speaker package then the external can be found in the rear trunk behind the left side carpet. It bolts onto the frame around the whell well.
List what you have and what goals you are looking for. You have purchased subwoofers but do you have a amp or were you looking to use the factory to power them? Are you changing front or rear speakers as well? If you ara planing on keeping the factory speakers then I would keep the factory amp installed. It will always help to list if you have the original Head Unit or a aftermarket. If aftermarket what model. Don't be afraid to ask and and try to be as specific as possible. The more info given, the better the reply can be.
mikegett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 01:18 PM   #3
alero401121
GX Member

My main goal is to make it sound really good (with more bass than what i have now) and,with the spaekers, i did get an amp, i have changed the rear speakers, but kept the ones in the front. I am definitely new to all this stuff, but finally got a good car and a little money saved up to fix it up. so, with that said does any of this info help out at all?
Old 06-20-2005, 01:23 AM   #4
mikegett
GL Member

I can't tell you what will sound good for you, but I can give a few suggestions on areas to look into. First, you stated that you changed the rear speakers. Did you do the install or was it done at a shop? Do you know if you have the factory amp? A quick peak in the trunk, on the left hand side, and behind the carpet will tell you if the system has a amp. It is a black box with monsoon printed in red letters. If you have the factory amp there is a very good chance that your new, rear speakers are not working properly. If you do have the factory amp, can you see how they are wired? You stated that a new amp was purchased. Was it for powering the rear speakers or a sub? Do you have the factory Head Unit? A aftermarket HU will most likely be wired with a set of RCA's while the factory HU will require a Line out converter.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:21 PM   #5
BLK03GXS
GLS member

BLK03GXS is an unknown quantity at this point
Yea all those questions that mikegett asked... awnser them and maybe we can help

BLK03GXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 03:45 PM   #6
alero401121
GX Member

I did install the rear speakers myself, and i really cant look right now to see if i have the factory amp (at work) but i can definitely get back to you with that info tomorrow. The amp that i bought was for the subs and I have an aftermarket HU.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:30 PM   #7
mikegett
GL Member

It helps that you installed it. You will have a better understanding of what to look for. There are two options for the alero. With or without a external amplifier. The rear speakers that due not require a external amp will have one set of wires going to each speaker. The speakers using the external amp will have two setts of wires per speaker. If you had a extra set of wires on the speakers that you were unsure of, then the car has the monsoon and will most likely need to be rewired.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:02 PM   #8
alero401121
GX Member

I dont exactly understand what you meant by the rear speakers that dont require an external amp having wires going to each speaker. Yuo mean the rear speakers right? And I dont think that the speakers with the external amp have the third bit of wires, but if they do then would they be attached to the monsoon amp directly? And, also, I think that my choice of wires could have been better.....any suggestions with that?
Old 06-21-2005, 02:30 PM   #9
BLK03GXS
GLS member

BLK03GXS is an unknown quantity at this point
k dood first you need to open your trunk and pull the carpet away on the drivers side behind the wheel well, and tell us if theirs an amp there or not.
With the monsoon system, the amp drives the Woofer, and tweeter Seperatly...
Thus to the rear speakers you would have TWO PAIRS of wires. your average coaxial or ( 2/3 way speaker) design has ONE pair of imputs. So if you DO have the monsoon and have added an aftermarket hu, and speakers and you HAVE the monsoon amp you will need to run speaker wire From the deck to your speakers. BYPASSING the monsoon amp.
If you DONT have the monsoon amp, then if its working its prolly wired fine.

BLK03GXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 01:36 PM   #10
alero401121
GX Member

okay okay........I'm sure i'll figure it all out. BTW, BLK03GXS, i'm not a "dood". but anyways, if i figure it all out, then i figure it out, if i dont then i dont.