Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 07-29-2009, 06:13 PM   #1
ChadCy75
GX Member

ChadCy75 is on a distinguished road
coolant reservoir replacement/mod

Any ideas for switching out my coolant reservoir? So far, I have come up with two different ideas. One, is just to switch out the reservoir with a totally different one out of another car. This will most likely require some kind of modification, because of the coolant level sensor that is on the Alero, and it might prove to be difficult to think this out enough to complete. My other option is to buy a stock coolant reservoir, and switch out the radiator, probably from a '95 Buick Park Aveenue, which will require a mod to the body under the hood to make room for the radiator cap on the new radiator.

I will definitely be making ONE of these two mods, because I absolutely hate the stock coolant reservoir for this car. The only way to know if you have the cap seated and sealed correctly is to fire it up and drive it, which is NOT cool, because if you get stuck in a traffic jam and that needle keeps climbing, you're pretty much screwed. This has almost happened to me once, but at the last second, I found a spot to pull off the road and shut the car down before the needle made that last jump from the 3/4 mark into the red, but I barely made it. I'm pretty sure that this is part of the reason for some of these gaskets going bad, and I don't feel like replacing these gaskets every few years, not to mention the damage that is done to other parts of the car from the heat. So any ideas or thoughts will be greatly appreciated!!
ChadCy75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:13 PM   #2
ChadCy75
GX Member

I only ask, because I want to get this squared away before I replace the gaskets, or else it won't be too long until I'm dealing with the gaskets all over again. In my car, the reservoir is part of my heating problem, and since it has to be addressed, I want to get it finished before I start dealing with the gaskets, which will only be like a revolving door if I don't deal with the reservoir first.

I know, some of you are fine with stock reservoir, and that's cool, but I hate the cursed thing, and I'm about to deal with it once and for all!! See, I'm thinking that my best option is going to be to replace my current reservoir with a replacement OEM and switch out the radiator with one from a different car. I will most likely be using the radiator out of a '95 Buick Park Ave, because my dad just bought one, and it has pretty much the same motor, only it's a few years older. In theory, this will make the reservoir act as a reservoir instead of a miniature radiator, plus, I'll be able to actually pop the cap off of the radiator and see if it's low or not. Anyway, any thoughts will be appreciated, and thanks in advance!
Old 07-29-2009, 11:36 PM   #3
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
-_-

It's not the reservoir or the cap. How do you know that it's "part of your heating problem?" Of course we're all fine with the stock reservoir, because it can't cause any issues besides not dumping coolant everywhere when your system is overpressurized. It's a failsafe, not a problem source.

It's something else that's causing the cap to bulge with pressure. Clearly you have some issue that is causing overpressurization in your cooling system. The gaskets go bad on the 3400 because GM used horrible quality lower intake manifold gaskets, which don't react well with Dex-Cool (or any coolant for that matter) and end up failing.

What happened to this? Here's your problem. Now all of a sudden you dodge the real issues and further complain that your coolant tank is the problem. I mean DUH?!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadCy75 View Post
Well fellas, it's not good. I need a LIM gasket, a water pump, AND the serpentine belt! Drat!! The gasket and the water pump both have a leak, and the belt is just old as hell, but hey, after dealing with the oil and the spark plugs, it doesn't surprise me. I'm not going to say that it is the original belt, but I would be willing to bet that it is. Oh well, like I figured, I'm going to have to get these few little problems worked out, and I'll have a champ that's going to last for a long, long time. I'll keep you all updated on my progress.
Fix those issues, and realize the problem isn't the reservoir. It's doing its job trying to relieve the pressure in the system. You have something that's way overpressurizing everything.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:41 AM   #4
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
I really don't understand why you are doing this.

The problem is not the cap on the system, there is a problem elsewhere.

Take it somewhere to get it fixed the right way, there are guys that are running turbos, s/c, and major interal mods. These guys are push in the area of 50 to 100 hp more than stock, on the stock coolant tank. The tank is not the problem

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 12:44 PM   #5
ChadCy75
GX Member

I'm doing it because I don't like to guess about whether the cap is seated right or not. The only way you really ever know is if the car starts to heat up. My reservoir tank needs to be replaced anyway, because the threads on it are messed up, so I figured I might as well make the mod at the same time. I'll let you all know how I make out, and thanks for your assistance gang! Your input is greatly appreciated!
Old 08-08-2009, 07:07 PM   #6
ChadCy75
GX Member

So far, I've only replaced the old reservoir with a new OEM one, and like I was saying before, it definitely WAS part of my problem. The new is working a thousand times better than the old one was, and there isn't any trouble tightening or loosening the cap. The old one was a monster to deal with, so it had to go, mostly because on the day I ordered the replacement reservoir, I was trying to take the cap off to check the fluid level, and the threaded half of the cap stayed locked into the tank, and the top part of the cap came off in my hand. Good thing I ordered that replacement reservoir. Anyhoot, I've changed my mind about this mod for now, but I might consider it again in the future. Thanks for your input, gang.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:21 PM   #7
NickAlero2000
GLS member

NickAlero2000 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadCy75 View Post
Thanks, gang.

No problem homeslice drizzle.
NickAlero2000 is offline   Reply With Quote