Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 07-20-2009, 10:07 PM   #1
ChadCy75
GX Member

ChadCy75 is on a distinguished road
Red face Aftermarket coolant reservoir

I'm having trouble with my '99 almost overheating, and I suspect the main problem is that the threads on the coolant reservoir aren't letting the cap seal properly. So, before I wind up blowing either the Lower intake Manifold or the head gasket, does anyone have ideas for either an aftermarket coolant reservoir, or even one from another car that I could rig in to replace the one that's in there now? I'm sure my problem isn't either of the gaskets, yet, because it doesn't have the symptoms for it. It was running fine until a few days ago, when I blew another reservoir cap, and it seemed to get MUCH worse after I changed the spark plugs yesterday. The electrodes on the old spark plugs looked like the tip of a very sharp pencil. I have only had this car since May, and I'm slowly getting it back into some kind of decent shape, because the previous owner definitely neglected this car. The spark plugs aren't my only evidence, as it took two oil changes to get oil that still looks clean after three days, and the interior will have to be replaced at some point, unless I can't get this over-heating problem worked out. Any ideas you guys have will be greatly appreciated, because after three years of driving a beat to death '89 VW Jetta, this Alero is so sweet, and I don't want to lose it! Also, any ideas you give me will almost certainly help others who start having the same trouble, hopefully before they blow a gasket, because I would almost bet the farm that a lot of the gasket trouble with these cars started with the coolant reservoir tank cap not seating or sealing correctly!

Last edited by ChadCy75 : 07-20-2009 at 10:10 PM.
ChadCy75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:04 PM   #2
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadCy75 View Post
I'm having trouble with my '99 almost overheating, and I suspect the main problem is that the threads on the coolant reservoir aren't letting the cap seal properly. So, before I wind up blowing either the Lower intake Manifold or the head gasket, does anyone have ideas for either an aftermarket coolant reservoir, or even one from another car that I could rig in to replace the one that's in there now? I'm sure my problem isn't either of the gaskets, yet, because it doesn't have the symptoms for it. It was running fine until a few days ago, when I blew another reservoir cap, and it seemed to get MUCH worse after I changed the spark plugs yesterday. The electrodes on the old spark plugs looked like the tip of a very sharp pencil. I have only had this car since May, and I'm slowly getting it back into some kind of decent shape, because the previous owner definitely neglected this car. The spark plugs aren't my only evidence, as it took two oil changes to get oil that still looks clean after three days, and the interior will have to be replaced at some point, unless I can't get this over-heating problem worked out. Any ideas you guys have will be greatly appreciated, because after three years of driving a beat to death '89 VW Jetta, this Alero is so sweet, and I don't want to lose it! Also, any ideas you give me will almost certainly help others who start having the same trouble, hopefully before they blow a gasket, because I would almost bet the farm that a lot of the gasket trouble with these cars started with the coolant reservoir tank cap not seating or sealing correctly!

If your convinced that's the problem, then I'm sure you can just pull one from a junkyard car.

Alero, Grand Am, and Malibu are all the same car

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:28 PM   #3
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
You're blowing the coolant overflow reservoir's cap off?

Also the threads aren't what seals it, the cap seals via two rubber o-rings.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:37 PM   #4
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
if its not seating properly, it would leak, sounds like someone put dex and green together, forming gel...

get a coolant flush man
Old 07-20-2009, 11:41 PM   #5
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Considering your evidence from the spark plugs and the oil being constantly dirty, it sounds like you already have a gasket leak and it's mixing oil and coolant.

Or you just have a clog that is overpressurizing the system and blowing the cap off the reservoir...
Old 07-20-2009, 11:41 PM   #6
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
It sounds like you have a clog that is overpressurizing the system.

what i said? lol
Old 07-21-2009, 09:31 AM   #7
ChadCy75
GX Member

No, it's not blowing the cap off, but it's popping the center of the cap. Also, while the two o-rings seal the cap, you still have screw it down, and for some reason, mine is always just a hare-bit crossthreaded, because it never seems to be flush all the way around, which is why I was wondering if anybody has ever used a reservoir from a different car to get away from this problem. The reason the oil was so dirty was because the last guy who had the car didn't take care of it. I bought the car back in May, and since I had to get it inspected anyway, I had the oil changed at the same time. Well, the next day, I figured I would check the oil to make sure it was still full, because I had just bought the car, and I noticed that while you could tell it had been changed, it looked dirtier than it should have. This past Saturday, I had it changed it again, and yesterday, it still looked like brand new oil, so it's taking more than one shot to get things straightened out. It doesn't have a mixture of Dex-Cool and regular green coolant, because for the first two weeks after I got the car, I was having the same overheating problem, but that time, it was the cap. Instead of putting coolant into it, I was putting water in it, because it didn't make sense to go through fifty dollars a week in coolant, so for over a month, I was running plain, ordinary water in it. Ever since I got this car, I've had to constantly check the coolant level, which is no big deal, but having that temperature needle hang around the 3/4 mark makes me nervous, which is why I just want to switch to a totally different reservoir. It has only been doing that since yesterday, but even so....... The first time around, I was able to switch out the cap, and it pretty much solved the problem, but now that the reservoir is starting to blow that pop-up device in the center of the cap, and it's done that to two different reservoir caps, the last of which it didn't even take a whole day to blow, I just want to switch to a different reservoir altogether, mostly so I don't have to worry about whether the cap is seated properly or not, because with this particular car, it always takes at least five tries to get it right, and sometimes it takes thirty minutes and it still isn't right. What I'm dealing with here is a design flaw, and I'm hoping somebody else has dealt with this in the same way already. Or if anybody knows of a good after market reservoir?
Old 07-21-2009, 09:44 AM   #8
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

Gr1m is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gr1m
the pump runs off of the belt but you shouldnt be getting that much pressure in the system unless the pump is not circulating correctly or you have a blown gasket somewhere, next time you go to park your car after driving it for a while, pop the hood and look at the upper tstat hose (on the 3400) and squeeze the line to feel the tension see how much pressure is in the line

I shaved my balls for this?
Gr1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:50 AM   #9
ChadCy75
GX Member

Also, I consider myself VERY lucky so far that I haven't blown either gasket, and I want to get this problem straightened out before things get to that point. I really like this car, because while it has it's differences, it reminds me so much of the 1980 Ford Fairmont Futura I used to have, and that was a great car! The Alero has that potential, once I get this problem fixed, because when it's running right, it is an absolute dream to drive, especially when compared to the car I had right before it, which was a 1989 VW Jetta that I bought from an auction for $175. Man, that thing was beat to hell before I bought it, and it not only looked rough, but it was an endless money pit. I was replacing something on that VW at least once a month, and so far with this Alero, it has only been a tire, two reservoir caps, and spark plugs. With that VW, I had to replace both of the half-shafts twice in the 2 and a half years I had it, plus the inner and outer bearings were constantly going bad, and it was just one thing after another, which is why this Alero is a major improvement. Even if I have to end up having the gaskets replaced, it's not going to be an endless stream of problems like the VW was, and I want to get it straightend out before I end up having to do major repairs to it.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:53 AM   #10
ChadCy75
GX Member

How will I know if it's the pump as compared to the gasket?
Old 07-21-2009, 09:55 AM   #11
JLw7123
i speed up for corners

JLw7123 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JLw7123 Send a message via Yahoo to JLw7123 Send a message via Skype™ to JLw7123
i had the same problem with my car almost over heating and the problem was the fan s were not turning on so I got a new thremostat and it work great no problems
JLw7123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:08 AM   #12
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
I think you are trying to treat the symptom instead of the actual problem. The reserviors and reservior caps that come with these car are just fine. They are just not what you are used to.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:17 AM   #13
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

^ very well put, you could get someone to test the compression in each chamber to see if any gaskets are bad, if not it could very well be the pump

Old 07-21-2009, 10:40 AM   #14
[ion] C2
636 whp

So yeah, you have a clog which is overpressurizing the coolant reservoir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLw7123 View Post
i had the same problem with my car almost over heating and the problem was the fan s were not turning on so I got a new thremostat and it work great no problems
Haha, what?

The thermostat was your problem, it's what opens and allows coolant that's been in the radiator to circulate. Not the fans. You don't fix the fans not turning on by changing the thermostat.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:06 PM   #15
Blktrax
GX Member

Blktrax is on a distinguished road
I'd bet somebody put something like BARS Radiator Stop leak in it and now your thromstat is only partialy opening, or that itself may be the cause.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:43 PM   #16
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
So yeah, you have a clog which is overpressurizing the coolant reservoir.

Haha, what?

The thermostat was your problem, it's what opens and allows coolant that's been in the radiator to circulate. Not the fans. You don't fix the fans not turning on by changing the thermostat.

actually i believe the tstat would tell the fans what temperature to turn on and if he had a sticky tstat it would cause the coolant to read a lower temp then what it was actually at causing the fans to never turn on, correct me if im wrong but i think thats how the cooling system works in our cars? lol

Old 07-21-2009, 12:44 PM   #17
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr1m View Post
actually i believe the tstat would tell the fans what temperature to turn on and if he had a sticky tstat it would cause the coolant to read a lower temp then what it was actually at causing the fans to never turn on, correct me if im wrong but i think thats how the cooling system works in our cars? lol
yeah, the CTS is AFTER the Thermo... so g1im is correct
Old 07-22-2009, 12:12 AM   #18
Psyfox
GX Member

Psyfox is on a distinguished road
Speaking of coolant and flushes and thermostats. I replaced my thermostat and did a flush today on my own...don't do it...I wanted to kill something by the time I was done.

Right now it's sitting after being run, I get to dump the system out, run some water through it, and put coolant in it tomorrow...THEN I can drive it again.

Sorry, kinda off topic, had to vent.

Pictures can be viewed here: http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...20Alero%20GLS/
Psyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:16 AM   #19
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyfox View Post
Speaking of coolant and flushes and thermostats. I replaced my thermostat and did a flush today on my own...don't do it...I wanted to kill something by the time I was done.

Right now it's sitting after being run, I get to dump the system out, run some water through it, and put coolant in it tomorrow...THEN I can drive it again.

Sorry, kinda off topic, had to vent.

quit B****ing....... its easy
Old 07-22-2009, 12:18 AM   #20
Psyfox
GX Member

Psyfox is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate's Alero View Post
quit B****ing....... its easy

Not on the 3400. I need tiny Japanese hands to work around that battery and under the throttle body.

Pictures can be viewed here: http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...20Alero%20GLS/
Psyfox is offline   Reply With Quote