Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 05-11-2011, 09:02 PM   #21
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
I only use castrol GTX
Old 05-12-2011, 09:06 PM   #22
spyhunter
GL Member

spyhunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to spyhunter
I only use Mobil1 when I can't find the stuff I like.

I tend to use Redline & Eneos... after that is Royal Purple then Mobil1.

Oil filter I tend to see what's the best one in stock in my area & then I go that route.
Promoter - PM me to be put on the list. Ladies first drink free wed, thur, sat
spyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:27 PM   #23
jhubbz
⌘ Irish Pride

jhubbz is on a distinguished road
I use Mobil 1 and Royal Purple. My choice filter is Purolator PureOne

Done lost my mind
jhubbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:25 AM   #24
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

XanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to XanderWiFi
I never knew people had so many preferences for so many variations of oil...I just go by the owners manual and use a decent name brand of 5w-30.

So I curious: what is the influence behind all these different choices and the affects of such?
Old 05-13-2011, 03:05 AM   #25
widbyj
GL Member

widbyj is on a distinguished road
Short answer: Generally you get what you pay for...

Somewhat longer answer:

Oil is basically either refined from crude or 'created' from raw chemicals (sythetics). In general synthetics are considered superior, especially in newer tighter engines. A major benefit of synthetic oils is that they last longer which CAN allow for longer times between oil changes, up to 25,000 miles.

Using the proper weight of oil is important. In almost all cases what the manual recommends is correct.

A good oil filter is VERY important. Changing them often will keep the engine and oil cleaner which helps the oil last longer. Many people using Mobil 1 for example will change the oil filter every three months or 3,000 miles but only change the oil once a year (topping off will be required).

Honestly a HUGE influence is brand loyalty. I never used anything but Pennzoil until I tried Mobil 1 and look forward to trying some truly premium oil in the future. High Mileage oils seem to contain more additives, which can help older engines to run better and/or last longer.
widbyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:30 PM   #26
the_weber
GL Member

the_weber is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderWiFi View Post
I never knew people had so many preferences for so many variations of oil...I just go by the owners manual and use a decent name brand of 5w-30.

So I curious: what is the influence behind all these different choices and the affects of such?

ha thats why I asked. Some engines do better with some oils than others. for example my old jeep ran best of of valvoline and my truck did best on penzoil. seems most car owners I know run high end premium oils or mobil one

Quote:
Originally Posted by widbyj View Post
Short answer: Generally you get what you pay for...

Somewhat longer answer:

Oil is basically either refined from crude or 'created' from raw chemicals (sythetics). In general synthetics are considered superior, especially in newer tighter engines. A major benefit of synthetic oils is that they last longer which CAN allow for longer times between oil changes, up to 25,000 miles.

Using the proper weight of oil is important. In almost all cases what the manual recommends is correct.

A good oil filter is VERY important. Changing them often will keep the engine and oil cleaner which helps the oil last longer. Many people using Mobil 1 for example will change the oil filter every three months or 3,000 miles but only change the oil once a year (topping off will be required).

Honestly a HUGE influence is brand loyalty. I never used anything but Pennzoil until I tried Mobil 1 and look forward to trying some truly premium oil in the future. High Mileage oils seem to contain more additives, which can help older engines to run better and/or last longer.

+ repd for the great answer
-Optima yellow top. This battery went end over end in my jeep (not strapped down) 13 times for 75 feet. and now is in my alero. one tough battery
-Cleared Corners/Painted Bezels
the_weber is offline   Reply With Quote