Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 09-03-2011, 04:00 PM   #1
whiterider00
GLS member

whiterider00 is on a distinguished road
problems with 2.3 tb

so i got a tb from a 92 grand am, and was planning on installing it on my ld9 when i was doing the secret cams this weekend. problem is, the part where the cable attaches (black half circle part, dont know technical term) is too big amd hits the intake manifold. also, the 2.3 tb only has 2 holes to mount it to the mani, where the stock 2.4 has 4. is there a way to get it to fit, or did i somehow get the wrong tb?
whiterider00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:09 PM   #2
whiterider00
GLS member

anyone? hoping to get this all together by the end of the long weekend.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:25 AM   #3
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
yeah, you use 2 bolts instead of 4. also, most people use this throttle body on the 2.3 manifold... using it on a stock plastic one, never heard of that, so don't know how to solve your throttle cable attachment interference.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 01:05 AM   #4
whiterider00
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
yeah, you use 2 bolts instead of 4. also, most people use this throttle body on the 2.3 manifold... using it on a stock plastic one, never heard of that, so don't know how to solve your throttle cable attachment interference.

odd. thats what i read a lot of people have done. even someone here posted on the other thread i made that he had the 2.3 tb on his ld9and had minimal issues. unless hes got the 2.3 mani as well. other issue with it is it doesnt appear to have a way to hook up cruise control cable. i never use it, but dont really want the cable just hanging there. this blows. well the tb was only $40, so if it doesnt work, im not out a huge chunk of money. i was just hoping it was a simple bolt on project. i should have known better.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:04 AM   #5
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterider00 View Post
odd. thats what i read a lot of people have done. even someone here posted on the other thread i made that he had the 2.3 tb on his ld9and had minimal issues. unless hes got the 2.3 mani as well. other issue with it is it doesnt appear to have a way to hook up cruise control cable. i never use it, but dont really want the cable just hanging there. this blows. well the tb was only $40, so if it doesnt work, im not out a huge chunk of money. i was just hoping it was a simple bolt on project. i should have known better.

What's the difference in throttle plate size between the two? It's not likely, but once in a while the original throttle shaft can fit into a larger body.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:09 AM   #6
whiterider00
GLS member

i would imagine 4mm. stock is 52 the 2.3 is 56. that was the first thing i thought of too when i found out it wouldnt fit. wud that be a pain in the ass to do?
Old 09-04-2011, 02:25 AM   #7
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterider00 View Post
i would imagine 4mm. stock is 52 the 2.3 is 56. that was the first thing i thought of too when i found out it wouldnt fit. wud that be a pain in the ass to do?

Well, you'd have to remove the plate off the original shaft and see if it will allow the larger plate, and install the shaft into the new TB to see if it's compatible with it. The slot in the shaft can sometimes be widened for a larger plate, I've done that. But it has to be able to mount the TPS correctly.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:35 AM   #8
whiterider00
GLS member

just took everything apart. the shaft size is the same on both. unfortunately, the end of the shaft that goes into the tps is different.

stock throttle shaft:

2.3l throttle shaft:

throttle position sensors. ld9 left, 2.3l right:

i tried knocking the shaft out of the 2.3 tb, but it didnt seem to move. its also 2:30 a.m. so i didnt want to make too much noise. ill try again in the morning.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:11 AM   #9
zearchyo
GL Member

zearchyo is on a distinguished road
damn that sucks man, specially since u really wanted to do this to ur engine

yeah right!
zearchyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:47 AM   #10
robalero
GLS member

robalero is on a distinguished road
your best bet try again in the morning I don't think you were hitting hard enough
Old 09-04-2011, 11:16 AM   #11
whiterider00
GLS member

so the shafts do come out? ill hit a little harder then. i also tried the 2.3 tps on the 2.4 shaft and it seems to fit. weather itll actually work there, ill have to find out.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:28 PM   #12
robalero
GLS member

robalero is on a distinguished road
weather it works is the question from being in the junk yard so long. and it got in there somehow so it has to come out might need a press tho
Old 09-05-2011, 01:34 AM   #13
whiterider00
GLS member

so, i got the whole thing apart. the space for the plate in both shafts is more than big enough for the 56mm plate. so that made me happy. then i put the shaft assembly from the stock tb into the housing of the 56mm tb. it all looks fine, except the stopper that strikes the housing to keep the plate from going too far doesnt even come close to lining up. if i used it this way, the throttle plate would be open about 10 degrees. not cool, looks like ill have to do what i should have from the start and trim a little bit of the piece the cable attaches to on the new tb.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:29 PM   #14
spyhunter
GL Member

spyhunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to spyhunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post

I made it work once.. I made some physical modifications to the arm and the intake manifold to make them play nice.
Promoter - PM me to be put on the list. Ladies first drink free wed, thur, sat
spyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote