Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 08-03-2008, 07:05 PM   #1
redrider07
GX Member

redrider07 is on a distinguished road
My system making my car slow??????

Ok, I have noticed that ever since I put in my mtx 12 sub and amp in my car.......it runs like a dog...WAY LESS POWER AND RESPONSIVNESS. When I dont have my sub on....it is WAY more peppy. So, this is not a weight issue....I think my alternator is slowing down my car....Because it makes a world of difference when my sub and amp are not on? I think it is drawing to much juice...and my alt is working harder to compensate

So should I get a capacitor....a bigger battery...or different alternator????

Any help would be rad guys

I have a 02 3400 with cold air intake and 180 t-stat
redrider07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 07:39 PM   #2
CactusWill
GLS member

CactusWill is on a distinguished road
A bigger alternator would be more of a drag not less... I can't speak for the capacitor part, but a bigger marine battery or optima should definately help even out the draw on electricity.
CactusWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 08:40 PM   #3
JOEY GLADSTONE
GX Member

JOEY GLADSTONE is on a distinguished road
just turn down the radio if you have to merge onto the parkway and you will not be losing any power
JOEY GLADSTONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 11:33 PM   #4
jeenysrider07
V.I.P baby

jeenysrider07 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrider07 View Post
Ok, I have noticed that ever since I put in my mtx 12 sub and amp in my car.......it runs like a dog...WAY LESS POWER AND RESPONSIVNESS. When I dont have my sub on....it is WAY more peppy. So, this is not a weight issue....I think my alternator is slowing down my car....Because it makes a world of difference when my sub and amp are not on? I think it is drawing to much juice...and my alt is working harder to compensate

So should I get a capacitor....a bigger battery...or different alternator????

Any help would be rad guys

I have a 02 3400 with cold air intake and 180 t-stat

i noticed that to, my h*********lights used to dim when the bass hit,i got a cap and now its all good
Old 08-04-2008, 12:49 AM   #5
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Ryan from Ohio will become famous soon enough
Hey heres food for thought...

How is your alternator attached to the motor?

by that belt, right... So how is it working harder? Its going to spin whatever your foot tells it to spin. Its not going to magically make your RPMs go up because you need more juice...
Old 08-04-2008, 01:37 AM   #6
sound_xtreme
GLS member

sound_xtreme is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to sound_xtreme Send a message via MSN to sound_xtreme Send a message via Yahoo to sound_xtreme
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan from Ohio View Post

by that belt, right... So how is it working harder? Its going to spin whatever your foot tells it to spin. Its not going to magically make your RPMs go up because you need more juice...

It can affect many things actually, it's not about how much strain it puts from the belt, it's the electronic things that don't get enough power to do their jobs. but, if it's actually "making the car slower" i would suspect a bad alternator altogether. I've had some BIG systems in the day, and never noticed anything like that. When my alternator died however....different story(but the car shut off completely lol).
Old 08-04-2008, 01:45 AM   #7
CactusWill
GLS member

Quote:

The alternator may always be spinning but its not always drawing the same amount of drag. Much like your A/C compressor but on a smaller scale.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:06 AM   #8
clutch1
GLS member

clutch1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to clutch1
Si, to make more power the alternator has to increase the pull on the belt or whatever.

Long story short, the more power you're drawing, the more HP the alternator is using to run.

Still, it's not THAT big of a difference, not enough to notice anyways.

I can be driving at night, BOTH compressors running for air ride, listening to my 2 12" Type R's, headlights on, and interior lights on, and I still don't notice a big drain on my electrical (stock alt w/ 1 yellowtop battery)

Something sounds goofy. Maybe get the alt checked?
Old 08-04-2008, 09:25 AM   #9
jayson_waltz
GLS member

jayson_waltz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jayson_waltz
if u had a 4 cyl it would be normal to notice it. but with the 3400 you really shouldn't
jayson_waltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 06:21 PM   #10
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Ryan from Ohio will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CactusWill View Post
The alternator may always be spinning but its not always drawing the same amount of drag. Much like your A/C compressor but on a smaller scale.

lol...

So your telling my there is some sort of "actuator" inside an alternator that engages when more power is needed?

I would go look at an alternator if I was you

That alternator is going to spin a given RPM relative to the throttle position at all times, period.

The only thing that does happen is sometimes the idle RPMs will increase a bit as output at idle is less than at speed. Which isnt this guys problem.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:26 PM   #11
CactusWill
GLS member

Quote:
lol...

So your telling my there is some sort of "actuator" inside an alternator that engages when more power is needed?

I would go look at an alternator if I was you

That alternator is going to spin a given RPM relative to the throttle position at all times, period.

The only thing that does happen is sometimes the idle RPMs will increase a bit as output at idle is less than at speed. Which isnt this guys problem.

Ok. Let me put it in laymans terms. An alternator works much the same as an electric motor does, except the flow of energy is the opposite, so that it creates electricity from energy rather than consuming electricity to create energy. Much like an electric motor will use more electricity when under heavy load, your alternator will create more drag when it is under a heavy load to create more electricity.

Make sense? Its simple physics.