Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 01-25-2004, 08:52 AM   #1
blacalero1

i saw on another website about removing the screen in the MAF sensor. is there any real purpose for this mod?? i thought the reason for the screen was to straighten out the air flow so the computer could get a better reading of the amount of air coming into the engine. i mean i can see how it would be restrictive but wouldn't taking it off present more of a downside to performance??
Old 01-25-2004, 12:54 PM   #2
Final-Reality

Don't waste your time, you won't notice any difference...
Old 01-25-2004, 01:12 PM   #3
needforspeed

by taking the screen out i heard that u dont get as good as gas mileage is that true?
Old 01-25-2004, 02:20 PM   #4
Final-Reality

Quote:
Originally posted by needforspeed@Jan 25 2004, 01:12 PM
by taking the screen out i heard that u dont get as good as gas mileage is that true?
You probably wouldnt notice a big difference in gas mileage, either..

So either way you look at it, it's not anything that's worth doing to your car... unless you're very bored, and very broke, and just want to play with your car? But it's a waste of time...
Old 01-25-2004, 03:21 PM   #5
3.4Alero

I did it and noticed NOTHING. Unfortunately I screwed up the screen taking it out, so I couldn't even put it back.
Old 01-25-2004, 07:06 PM   #6
blacalero1

thanks for the advice guys
Old 01-31-2004, 08:07 PM   #7
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
I did this and it proved to help a little bit ( very little). If you are going to do an intake I suggest it.

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 09:11 PM   #8
Pimpalero03
V.I.P. Member

Pimpalero03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Pimpalero03
i did it and have cai. not sure if it did anything but it cant hurt to do it i guess. got nothing better to do on a sunday afternoon
Pimpalero03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 09:56 PM   #9
dopey

this is in reality a BAD idea. think about it....... that screen is the last line of defense ur engine has befor air enters it.

it maybe a long shot...... but if a small rock or something else... even a leaf or something was somehow able to work its way into ur intake tube....... well its goin straight into the motor.

and for anyone who has removed this and claims they notice a difference.... even if its very small....... thats complete BS..... u wont notice jack.
Old 01-31-2004, 10:27 PM   #10
Pimpalero03
V.I.P. Member

Pimpalero03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Pimpalero03
if poop goes up it and get stuck on the screen, ur never gonna know. sand and dirt wont get stopped and if a leaf went up there... the pressure of air going into it will break down the leaf and it will eventually go into engine. unless you look at ur screen everyday to make sure it is clean, screw it... take it off
Pimpalero03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 11:41 PM   #11
BLK03GXS
GLS member

BLK03GXS is an unknown quantity at this point
Yea... i have to agree with pimpalero... the screen is not there to save your engine or as a last line of defence, it is there for airflow, plain and simple
If you remove it... BIIIIIIIG WHOOOOP!! lol
If you dont.. meh its a screen, it will not increase your performance, it will not change your gas milage any
And taking it out will not cause your engine premature failure...
The only way for something to get into the intake tube is thru the filter... and if your car has annother way into the intake track, other than tru the filter... have fun getting that thing rebuit soon :thumbsup:
If you get a CAI or a TB, then yes, but if you get a TB you should get a new MAF so yea... lol

BLK03GXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 01:34 PM   #12
Oldsmopimp

^^^agreed, I'd leave it on there.