Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 08-08-2006, 06:41 PM   #1
SeaHoCaptain

Factory Gauges stopped working...

...Not sure what I did. Finished up the brakes. Then tried a few options to program the remote (of with none worked). Daughter drove it to work and says NONE of the dash gauges are working. Speedo, Tach, Fuel, Water Temp have all ceased to work. Most of the lights appear out. Even the little gear selector light is out. The only lights I see even at start up are the air bag and the SES lights. Just started an hour ago or so.

I figure its a fuse and pulled a number of them to no avail. Anything common I'm missing or should check?

99 Alero GLS.

David
Old 08-08-2006, 07:33 PM   #2
doubleN0alero
They call me 8 point!!

doubleN0alero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to doubleN0alero Send a message via Yahoo to doubleN0alero
oh man you really effed up this time...lol. i've honestly never heard of this happening before. the only thing that i can think of to check is pull the cluster and make sure its plugged in completely. If memory serves me right, its like 6 bolts and the thing pulls right out. You gotta remove the plastic piece around it first which is 2 bolts towards the top of the plastic piece and then there are 4 holding the cluster in at the corners. the plug is right on top. you may be able to wiggle the plug around w/out pulling the 4 bolts just to see if thats the problem. of course have the car running so you can see if the tach goes up or not.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:43 PM   #3
AftermathAlero
V.I.P. Member

AftermathAlero is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to AftermathAlero
I've been in that situation before! Not with my alero, but my brothers 99 alero.

Does the AC and window switches work when the cluster is not working while the car is on? If they don't work, you ignition key cylinder is messed up and needs a new one. The dealer replaced my bro's cylinder i think it was like 400 bucks after everything.

But thats what it sounds like. The clyinder isn't making contact to power up the accessories. If everything else works like AC controls, and windows, then you prolly have a fuse out. And theres 2 gauge cluster fuses.

Let me know and we'll take it from there.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:45 PM   #4
Alero2k4
GL Member

Alero2k4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Does it do it everytime you start the car, mine did it sometimes but came back when I restarted the car.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:03 PM   #5
SeaHoCaptain

Actually I just figured it out Had to get my handy dandy Hanes manual out and check the wiring. It showed two fuses for the instrument cluster. The IPC/HVAC fuse "N" was obviously blown. Once I found the fuse hidden down low under a breaker it was clear this was a problem. Just replaced it and all is well again!!!

Thanks for all the response that came so fast!!! You people are great!

David
Old 04-07-2009, 09:48 AM   #6
Rogue42
GX Member

Rogue42 is on a distinguished road
Old thread, can someone help point me to where this IPC/HVAC fuse "N" is? I know there are three locations for fuses.

Wifes car started yesterday no dash gaugges working. Lights work when key is ON, but when you start they all go off (except odometer). Radio, Gauges, dash lights are all dark. Security light blinks on radio like car is turned off.

Almost got me popped by the State Po this morning.... I was following traffic speed but he pulled in behind me and followed me for a bit.
Rogue42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:04 AM   #7
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Look at the fuse covers, they have diagrams with labels... lol..
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:15 AM   #8
CactusWill
GLS member

CactusWill is on a distinguished road
This thread is only 2.5 years old......
CactusWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:41 AM   #9
01OldsAleroGt
GLS member

01OldsAleroGt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 01OldsAleroGt Send a message via MSN to 01OldsAleroGt Send a message via Yahoo to 01OldsAleroGt
hey guess what.. the noobs are using the search button.. thats a GOOD thing
Old 04-07-2009, 11:45 AM   #10
econewb22
The Plane Mechanic

econewb22 is on a distinguished road
the noobs did 2 1/2 years ago...
econewb22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:45 AM   #11
Dhoyle
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Dhoyle is on a distinguished road
yea, this is a good thing lols
Old 04-07-2009, 11:59 AM   #12
Rogue42
GX Member

Hey now, i used the search... I was just asking which of the three fuse locations this one was located in..... I even did a search or that particualr fuse. I will go out at lunch and check all of them, just wanting to not waste time looking in #1 and #2 and it be in #3.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:25 PM   #13
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

Gr1m is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gr1m
you have your alero owners manual? it will show them in that book so you dont have to physically look at which box it will be in until you find it in the manual.

I shaved my balls for this?
Gr1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 04:06 PM   #14
Rogue42
GX Member

Well its not a fuse, it started working yesterday on the way home....
Old 04-08-2009, 04:13 PM   #15
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
got a short somewhere.... its gotta be in with the ignition system, since thats when it went awry.

Start tracing!
Old 05-02-2022, 09:35 AM   #16
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
I am having this problem right now. I was assuming that it was the ignition switch, but will check the fuses anyway.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 09:46 AM   #17
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
The fuses are in the driver's side fuse panel. Next to a relay which makes them extra difficult to remove. One is hidden underneath the relay. Mine are fine.
Old 05-02-2022, 07:30 PM   #18
zzyzzx
GLS member

It worked on my way home from work. Already have a new ignition switch electrical part is on order.
Old 05-13-2022, 07:54 PM   #19
zzyzzx
GLS member

Does replacing just the electrical part fix the recall issue?