Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 05-31-2007, 06:49 AM   #1
Stanl3yX
V.I.P. Member

Stanl3yX is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Stanl3yX Send a message via Yahoo to Stanl3yX
I think she's a goner....

I'm at the 104k mark. Driving on the freeway and every time i try to accelerate it stays at 60mph. my Service Engine Light is flashing. And as soon as I get off the freeway and turn the corner it starts to really slow down. Steering wheel locks up, red lights flashing, and it just putters to a slow death. It starts back up, vibrates like hell, but dies once the gear shifts into drive. its at wendy's parking lot for now, where it receives its last meal before the lethal injection.

lol, i doubt its dead. but this is my first car, my first problem like this and im freaking out. getting it towed to the shop. i know the problems i have now is that my oil gasket was leaking (but at the moment i had plenty of oil). my muffler was rusted and i needed a tuneup. so much for "budgeting" car problems like Dave Ramsey says. i've learned you gotta take care of things ASAP!
Stanl3yX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 10:15 AM   #2
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
its not dead! just replace the engine and tranny.. you'll be fine!

but seriously... sounds kinda rough. hope its not as bad as it sounds.
cherrington17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 10:59 AM   #3
misslindseysue
MINIac

misslindseysue is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to misslindseysue
When your MIL flashes it's a big problem - usually misfire. Could be as easy of a fix as plugs and wires. Not if you cooked the engine driving it like that, though.

Edit: Haha, I'm not at work - MIL = malfunction indicator light = check engine light.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:03 AM   #4
Headstrong2740
GL Member

Headstrong2740 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Headstrong2740 Send a message via MSN to Headstrong2740 Send a message via Yahoo to Headstrong2740
wonder if it has somethign to do with his torque converter lock out or maybe somethign to do with ignition. find out what codes your throwing (autozone can tell you as well as the repair shops) i kinda want to know what you are dealing with......

"Dude..cuming on my mom is one thing, but banging your grandmother and her two roommates is like.....legandary!"

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2589855
Headstrong2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:15 AM   #5
Stanl3yX
V.I.P. Member

i'll have an update tonight, but i might be $1000 poorer than now
Old 05-31-2007, 11:46 AM   #6
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
honestly... w/ some of the problems our cars CAN have.. 1k isn't much in repair.
cherrington17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 12:00 PM   #7
number1alero
GL Member

number1alero is an unknown quantity at this point
^nope, hell id say its cheaper to have engine trouble then body work being done since its a unibody, i think ive had close to $8000 in body work done to my car
number1alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 01:41 PM   #8
p1mptress
I'm pretty much Awesome!

p1mptress is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to p1mptress
i had over that my car was $13 short of being totalled and it's a 2003 v6. That was with a ton of body work i needed done from a really bad accident 2 yrs ago.
p1mptress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 01:56 PM   #9
antichrysler
GLS member

antichrysler is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to antichrysler
Quote:
Originally Posted by p1mptress View Post
i had over that my car was $13 short of being totalled and it's a 2003 v6. That was with a ton of body work i needed done from a really bad accident 2 yrs ago.

ditto.... had about $9000 done to mine 2 months after I got it... all body panels and junk... no structural

but to answer the original post... if it needs $1000 worth of work you should consider how long you plan on keeping the car and what you hope to get for it. If the cars not worth $6700 to you it's probably in your better interest to trade it in and buy something brand new. Of course that's using my 15% formula.
antichrysler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 02:39 PM   #10
misslindseysue
MINIac

misslindseysue is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to misslindseysue
Or if it's really dead and you just love Aleros, I'll sell you mine for $4,500. It even has two sets of wheels/tires - and I'll drive it down there.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:27 PM   #11
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to rustyballs_69
$1000 ain't shit for repairs. When my LIM gaskets took a shit the dealer wanted $1085. If you take it to any shop they will rape you for what most people could do themselfs.
rustyballs_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 08:45 PM   #12
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

cavaliers60 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyballs_69 View Post
$1000 ain't shit for repairs. When my LIM gaskets took a shit the dealer wanted $1085. If you take it to any shop they will rape you for what most people could do themselfs.

Only cost me $400 to get my LIM replaced.

Sounds like a really bad problem... You want my alero??? It runs great! I'm kinda trying to sell it.
cavaliers60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 08:52 PM   #13
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavaliers60 View Post
Only cost me $400 to get my LIM replaced.

Thats why I did them myself. It only cost me less than $100
Old 05-31-2007, 08:54 PM   #14
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyballs_69 View Post
Thats why I did them myself. It only cost me less than $100

I would have done it myself if I knew what to do and had the time.. I was down in Orlando on a college program with Disney.... No time and no place to do it... But holy poo! Less that $100!
Old 05-31-2007, 09:04 PM   #15
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

I think the gaskets were only like 50 bucks and I use mobile one full synthedic which is around 40 bucks with a K&N filter.

I understand not knowing how to fix things, it took me awhile to get the balls to tear into it. But now I do any work that needs to be done on the car. I haven't payed anyone to work on it yet and I don't plan on starting to.

Last edited by rustyballs_69 : 05-31-2007 at 09:09 PM.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:23 PM   #16
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

something I need to start doing. lol I at least got the currage to change out the water pump... I'm glad I did... A little under $25 to replace it myself rather than a couple hundred to have someone take half a day too.... lol
Old 05-31-2007, 10:26 PM   #17
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

Yep most stuff sounds alot harder than it really is.
Old 06-01-2007, 12:27 AM   #18
antichrysler
GLS member

antichrysler is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to antichrysler
^true... admittedly i'd be scared of breaking something on my car

but the same goes for anything, everything is easy to do if you can figure out how to do it... when you pay the premium at a mechanic you're paying for the knowledge and a guarantee it'll get done properly
antichrysler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 11:20 PM   #19
brim
GLS member

brim is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to brim
what was the end result here, heh

i would think with SES might be a failed crank sensor or cam sensor

steering wheel lock up makes no sense unless the belt was thrown or there was/is a power issue (same deal)

follow the titans
brim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 10:54 AM   #20
Stanl3yX
V.I.P. Member

They found that 2 cylinders were not firing. It was the coil housing spark plugs and cam sensor, plug boots. (whatever that means)

parts and labor and tax costs $360

how do i prevent somethin like this in the future?

and my idle is still rough when its in the parking gear especially when parked uphill(had this problem for a while now). but when i pop the hood the vibration goes away. it seems like my engine is banging against the hood