Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Alero Appearance

Old 02-25-2008, 02:53 PM   #1
black
Thread Crapper

black is on a distinguished road
low/high/fog all on at the same time.

hi, vinalero asked a good question.

how can i have both my lows and highs on at the same time.

i do this to any vehicle i own.

relays.

i have a relay for the fogs so that when i have my parking lights on, the fogs come on.

i have a relay in my steering column that when i hit my brights, the lows stay on.

so, when i hit my brights, my highs/lows/fogs are all on.

i have switches on them to make them work as they would normally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttop191 View Post
I now know how to chronically please rectums
black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:02 PM   #2
black
Thread Crapper

black is on a distinguished road
a few other things.

not a good idea to do.

i messed up my "horn ring"??

also, at times, my flasher relay will just start going tick tick tick.

i really had to rip things up to get it going.

someone with way more knowledge would do a better job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttop191 View Post
I now know how to chronically please rectums
black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:13 PM   #3
olds03alero
GX Member

olds03alero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to olds03alero
give me some time and i will do a how to on how to do it. its super easy if you are any good at wiring. i've ran with this for like 6 months an haven't had an issue yet.
olds03alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:53 AM   #4
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
I did that mod to my grand am when I had it and it was as simple as cutting a wire in the bcm and having the relay turn the lows and fogs on with the high beams. I'm sure if you do a search on the net for the grand am light mod you should be able to find it. Its not that bad to do....but thats on that car....could be totally different on our Aleros. I love'd it though..try driving on a dark road at night with someone approaching with highs on and when you flash them they don't go to lows. Man I would hit the highs and cause them to pull over, but I would'nt recommend that, cause it was dumb to do but it did the trick.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:52 PM   #5
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
Hey I was looking at the wiring diagram for the headlights and it appears that all is needed is a relay that takes the input from the highbeams to switch 12v to the input of the lows to make them come on at the same time. If someone could take a look at the diagram and cosign...this is what I'm thinking, not sure though and I don't have any info from when I did my grand am. I even looked for it and couldn't find anything difinitive on it. Need some help on this one! After this is solved then the next on is getting the fog lights to stay on with the highs on as well.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:12 PM   #6
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

I think I got this figured out: Using a standard automotive relay it is possible to get the lows to stay on with the highs by triggering them with the high beam ground if indeed our lights are negatively switched. The wiring would be like this:
Pin 85: connected to pink wire on High Beam
Pin 86: connected to orange wire on Low Beam
Pin 87: connected to Dk Blu on Low Beam
Pin 30: connected to Vehicle Ground

When wiring the relay it doesn't matter which side you tap into, and there is no need to cut anywires just use wire taps for this mod, unless your anal and have to solder everything, but I wouldn't do so until this is verified to work. I will be testing on my car this weekend, and will update you guys.

Note: I haven't had a chance to do this mod to my car yet and will try it this weekend to verify that it works, but from looking at the drawing I am positive that it will. Again this mod has not been tested on all years (only 2000 and 2003 verified) and anyone who tries this and damages anything does so at there own risk.

Note: This mod has been tested on 2000 and 2003 model aleros, and we have come to find thanks to jayson waltz that it will cause a conflict with the 1999 DRL's because they use the high beams as the DRL's..right now I'm working on bypassing the relay and will let all know.

Note: If you are having problems with the DRL going crazy please refer to post 71 and do the DRL disable mod...this has only been verifed for 99's. If you have any other questions please refer them to Jason.

This will get the lows and highs on working on the fogs being on with them.

I had some time to look at the head light wires at lunch, and its easier to do this on the Passenger side on the 2000 it has 2 orange, 1 blue, and 1 pink...where the other side (Driver) has 2 blue, 1 orange, and 1 pink. By using the Passenger side it eliminates having to figure which blue to use. Only difficult thing on this side if you can call it that is getting a ground, but thats easy.

All done kids..this mod works great so get out there and light them up. It makes a big difference in the visibility at night and it was very much need here on the back roads that I drive on.

A speacial thanks to OLDS03ALERO for his input on this project.
A speacial thanks to jayson waltz for his input on this project.

Last edited by lonnie : 05-02-2008 at 07:31 AM.
lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:16 AM   #7
CharleyO99Alero
GL Member

CharleyO99Alero is on a distinguished road

That would be great, lonnie ... let us know how the test goes.

CharleyO99Alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:46 AM   #8
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

cavaliers60 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
You do know that having all those lights on while driving is a hazzard to the people coming towards you, right??? I hate it when people rig their cars like that.... It's too much light...
cavaliers60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 06:44 AM   #9
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavaliers60 View Post
You do know that having all those lights on while driving is a hazzard to the people coming towards you, right??? I hate it when people rig their cars like that.... It's too much light...
Well Cav I'm doing this thinking as a responsible person that when I'm on a back road like there are here, I would use them then, and only then. I could say the same for those that put HID kits in there car, and the same for anyone who puts those super white lights of any kind in there car. Its just as bad. I understand your point but I just believe that you have ran into a few ahoes if you've been on the receiving end.

Charley- As soon as I am done I will post it up, I will be attempting this on Sat. if the weather is permitting.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:41 AM   #10
olds03alero
GX Member

i havent had a chance to do a write up on it yet but i did this like 6 months ago to my car. u need 1 relay for the fogs and 1 for the lows. i'll try to get to it today its a slow day at work.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:51 AM   #11
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by olds03alero View Post
i havent had a chance to do a write up on it yet but i did this like 6 months ago to my car. u need 1 relay for the fogs and 1 for the lows. i'll try to get to it today its a slow day at work.
Thanks I just looked at the drawing for the fogs and saw that all you have to do is take the fogs to ground as well bypassing the BCM to get them to stay on even with the highs on. I would appreciate that man. If you don't mind I would like to do a how to with pics using my info and yours. Also a note to others out there I pulled the drawing for the same year grand am, and malibu so it seems that the wiring is pretty consistent with other GM vehicles.

............I just thought of this to olds03alero. That there are two ways to do the fogs...one way will allow the DRL to stay on which is the way I like, and the other will make them completely dependent on the switch, at least that's what I think, and will give a sure answer once I do some more research.

Last edited by lonnie : 03-25-2008 at 08:53 AM.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:55 AM   #12
olds03alero
GX Member

no problem, i have an 03 so i know this will work on mine. i used a diagram from someone who had a 99 and it doesn't work on mine. so this may or may not work on anything but an 02-04
Old 03-25-2008, 08:58 AM   #13
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

Quote:
no problem, i have an 03 so i know this will work on mine. i used a diagram from someone who had a 99 and it doesn't work on mine. so this may or may not work on anything but an 02-04
Thats cool I have a 2000 and if I could see what you did I can translate that to the 2000 with no problem!
Old 03-25-2008, 09:17 AM   #14
rowdygls
V.I.P. Member

rowdygls is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to rowdygls Send a message via MSN to rowdygls Send a message via Yahoo to rowdygls
I know this is illegal in Wisconsin, not sure on other states.

Chapter Member
rowdygls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:23 AM   #15
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdygls View Post
I know this is illegal in Wisconsin, not sure on other states.
I've never seen one law written about it anywhere, but that's not to say you are wrong. You guys have got to understand that a responsible person is only using these on dark unlight roads where the added visibility is a major plus, not parading through town with there highs and lows....and fog lights on at the same time. I have on ocasion flashed someone who thought my highs where on at night because of bright lows, but nothing to cause a serious problem. I never had a problem the whole time I had my Grand Am.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:52 AM   #16
olds03alero
GX Member

ok here is my simple diagram. i spliced into the 3 signal wires. i got 2 30 amp relays from radioshack:http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?parentPage=family&summary=summary&techSp ecs=techSpecs&currentTab=summary&cp=2032058.203223 0.2032277&custRatings=custRatings&features=feature s&accessories=accessories&productId=2062477&suppor t=support&tab=features . i did everything on the drivers side and mounted the relays on the rad support.
if you have any questions just email me.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...ghtdiagram.jpg
Old 03-25-2008, 12:14 PM   #17
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

Quote:
ok here is my simple diagram. i spliced into the 3 signal wires. i got 2 30 amp relays from radioshack:http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...t&tab=features . i did everything on the drivers side and mounted the relays on the rad support.
if you have any questions just email me.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...ghtdiagram.jpg
Thanks a ton it is the same then, and adding the fog lights to this circuit is bettern then stand alone. I greatly appreciate this! One question though where did you tap into your fog lights? I would assume at the fog light on either side becase they are tied together, or did you find it in a harness at the top in the engine bay?
Old 03-25-2008, 12:15 PM   #18
rowdygls
V.I.P. Member

rowdygls is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to rowdygls Send a message via MSN to rowdygls Send a message via Yahoo to rowdygls
I willing to bet you haven't seen a few laws that were written. The OP is from Wisconsin so I was just giving an FYI. Also I've lived out in the country and my Silverstars worked just fine without having to modify anything to have every light on.

24405(a) Maximum number of lamps:
No more than four forward facing lights lighted at one time. Dual headlamp system is considered one lamp.
(granted offroad is 8 but if the road is paved out in the middle of nowhere, I don't think that would qualify but it be worth a try)

This is a law for CA.

Chapter Member
rowdygls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:42 PM   #19
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

Thanks to olds03alero here is his diagram with the colors I added to tap into highlighted. You can either run directly to a 12v fused source or you could tap into the orange wire of the head light the choice is totally up to you, also you can see that olds03alero used the headlight signal to trigger a relay for the fog lights to get them to stay on when the highs are on.
Attachment 3928

Last edited by lonnie : 05-09-2008 at 12:27 PM.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:48 PM   #20
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdygls View Post
I willing to bet you haven't seen a few laws that were written. The OP is from Wisconsin so I was just giving an FYI. Also I've lived out in the country and my Silverstars worked just fine without having to modify anything to have every light on.

24405(a) Maximum number of lamps:
No more than four forward facing lights lighted at one time. Dual headlamp system is considered one lamp.
(granted offroad is 8 but if the road is paved out in the middle of nowhere, I don't think that would qualify but it be worth a try)

This is a law for CA.
By how that reads then its still not illegal. Where not using more then 4 head lamps the DRLs count as 1 lamp each and the Highs are 1 lamp each for a total of 4, and I understand where you are coming from but I would rather buy a 2 or 3 dollar relay then 30 lights any day. Once one goes up replace the relay 2 bucks gone, blow a silverstar, pay 30 bucks.