Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > How-To Archive & FAQ

Old 04-08-2008, 04:04 PM   #1
olds03alero
GX Member

olds03alero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to olds03alero
How to: Lows highs and fogs at same time

Here is a how to have your fogs, low beams and high beams on for your high beams. it is much brighter and i have had it on my car for approx 6 months without a problem.

First you will need about 5-6 ft of 20 gauge wire. depends on where you are planning on running your relays to. An inline fuse block with 10 amp fuse, 2 25amp automotive relays, 8-10 20 gauge splice clips, 8-10 20 guage female quick connect terminals, 1 20 gauge ring terminal, wire strippers, crimpers and some electrical tape.

Second You will need to find a suitable location to put your relays. i put mine on the drivers side inner fender behind where the stock intake is supposed to be.

Third you will need to tap into your factory wiring and run your wires to the relays. On the 4-pin connector that goes into your drivers side headlight you will need to splice into the blue and pink wires. make sure the wire you attach to the splice clips is long enough to get to the relays.

I also wrapped those 2 wires up with electrical tape and put them inside the harness that the rest of the wiring runs in. now when the wires get to the relays just put a female connector on the blue wire and put it on terminal 87 of your first relay. then put another piece of wire on the end of the pink wire, just 3-4 inches long depending on how far apart your relays are. and then put a female connector on each stripped end. then attach the connectors to terminal 85 on both relays. then you will need to tap into the purple wire going to your drivers side foglight. run that to the relays and attach to terminal 30 on the 2nd relay (the one that the blue wire isn't attached to. Next you will need to get a power and ground source. for the ground i used the screw that i attached the one relay to the inner fender with. i used a 3-4 inch piece of wire with the ring terminal on one end and a female on the other. attach this to terminal 30 on the first relay. then use the large power source on your underhood relay panel for your pwer to the relays. break to nut loose and attach your inline fuse block but do not install fuse until you are done wiring.

you will need to use slice clips to send power to terminal 86 on relay 1 and terminals 87 and 86 on relay 2. i know that was kinda bad explanation so here is my wiring diagram.

after you have it all wired up then install your fuse and try it out. if you don't want to have your fogs come on or don't have fogs just dont install relay 2.

If you have any questions just email me
olds03alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 04:11 PM   #2
hok666
GLS member

hok666 is an unknown quantity at this point
Will it melt the headlight at all? Seems like alot of heat especially in the summer around 80-120 degrees in some areas of the country.
hok666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 04:58 PM   #3
GoldStar611
GX Member

GoldStar611 is on a distinguished road
I think in the summer you normally wouldn't be driving with your brights on so there shouldn't be a heat problem. This doesn't turn your high lamps into DRL's if that is what you are concerned about, only when you flip the switch for high beams will they all turn on.
GoldStar611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 05:11 PM   #4
hok666
GLS member

yea thanks ^
Old 04-08-2008, 07:34 PM   #5
olds03alero
GX Member

olds03alero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to olds03alero
in the summer i wouldn't run these very long just as a precaution, i did it just so i could see deer easier in the winter. i have a 45 minute drive home from work and its all through the woods
olds03alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 02:54 AM   #6
Pacho

Hooking up relay for having Hi/Low Beams at same time

I'm hooking up a 30 amp relay with a 20 amp in line fuse. I'm looking at the diagram for the 25 amp relays, the 30 and 85 and 86 are messed up between my diagram.

According to your diagram: 87 goes to dark blue, 85 goes to pink, 30 goes to ground, and 86 goes to 12 volt power source (assuming a passenger headlight).

The diagram on the back of my relay box goes: 86 to negative trigger, 85 to 12 volt power source, 87 a not used, and I'm mixed up on what to put on 87 and 30 according to the diagram below (I know I have to put the blue and pink wire here but does it matter which goes to which?). Thanks.

Last edited by Pacho : 07-10-2009 at 11:13 AM.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:28 PM   #7
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacho View Post
I'm hooking up a 30 amp relay with a 20 amp in line fuse. I'm looking at the diagram for the 25 amp relays, the 30 and 85 and 86 are messed up between my diagram.

According to your diagram: 87 goes to dark blue, 85 goes to pink, 30 goes to ground, and 86 goes to 12 volt power source (assuming a passenger headlight).

The diagram on the back of my relay box goes: 86 to negative trigger, 85 to 12 volt power source, 87 a not used, and I'm mixed up on what to put on 87 and 30 according to the diagram below (I know I have to put the blue and pink wire here but does it matter which goes to which?). Thanks.
The diagram you are looking at above is for if you are going to wire an alarm...the relay you have will still be standard! Follow the diagram exactly for wiring your fogs and high beams. I tried to explain a little better below.

So on the Headlight relay the wiring goes like so:
Pin 85 to the highbeam wire.....pink maybe different depending on year
Pin 30 to ground
Pin 86 to fused 12volt source...ie battery
Pin 87 to the low beam wire....blue maybe different depending on year

Now on the Fog light relay the wiring goes like so:
Pin 85 ties into pin 85 above
Pin 86 goes to a 12volt source I would tap into the wire on Pin 86 above
Pin 87 goes to a 12volt source I would tap into the wire on Pin 86 above
Pin 30 goes to the Fog light wire....purple

also make sure your grounds are very good if not you will get dim lighting
Old 07-10-2009, 09:41 PM   #8
Pacho

thanks lonnie, you cleared it up for me.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:46 PM   #9
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacho View Post
thanks lonnie, you cleared it up for me.
No problem
Old 10-20-2009, 04:42 PM   #10
white04alero
GL Member

white04alero has a little shameless behaviour in the past
yeah yeah, old thread, i know. but i want to see those pictures if its possible. do you still have them? to me it says photobucket account inactive.
- pioneer 4900iB head unit
white04alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 05:19 PM   #11
Atmosphere
GL Member

Atmosphere is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by white04alero
yeah yeah, old thread, i know. but i want to see those pictures if its possible. do you still have them? to me it says photobucket account inactive.

Here you are, kind sir.

In order:

Old 10-20-2009, 07:45 PM   #12
JLw7123
i speed up for corners

JLw7123 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JLw7123 Send a message via Yahoo to JLw7123 Send a message via Skype™ to JLw7123
nice how hard was it to do that .
1999 auburn mist metallic gls sedan R.I.P
2005 Subaru legacy 2.5i 190k. New rims and tires for summer.
JLw7123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:19 PM   #13
jayson_waltz
GLS member

jayson_waltz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jayson_waltz
Its easy as hell to do actually. and if you have fogs it looks even cooler. here is more info:http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showt...hs+fogs+ti me
jayson_waltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:20 AM   #14
white04alero
GL Member

alrighty. and it seems obvious, but ill ask anyways. i'll have to do this to both sides yes?
Old 10-21-2009, 08:09 AM   #15
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by white04alero View Post
alrighty. and it seems obvious, but ill ask anyways. i'll have to do this to both sides yes?
No you only have to do this on one side...the example I belive is on the passenger side....there is more room to work with over there, and that is where you are going to want to mount the relays.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:31 AM   #16
jayson_waltz
GLS member

yea, i did mine on the passenger side and mounted the relay where i can get to it easily. it works for both sides because it just back feeds the power, and both lights run off the same wire.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:55 AM   #17
white04alero
GL Member

so wait, let me get this right, the wires coming out of the passenger side headlight/ foglight are the same ones running to the driver side ones? or do you go back a ways til it t's off, or am i just not reading this carefully enough?
Old 10-22-2009, 01:05 AM   #18
jayson_waltz
GLS member

they are the same wires. tap into them anywhere by the drivers or passenger headlight
Old 10-22-2009, 10:42 AM   #19
kingjames64
GX Member

kingjames64 is on a distinguished road
long time reader first time poster. What size fuse would be good?
kingjames64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:19 AM   #20
hok666
GLS member

is there a way to flip one switch to make this work or does it involve the automatic DRL's? and in the diagram it says PPL fog signal? whats PPL?